PDA

View Full Version : Barbeque Kebabs

Kenetic
Jun 1st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ok so it's that time of year again so here's a couple of tasty kebabs for the BBQ :D
Fruit and Vegetable Kebabs
Serves 4
You will need
8 button onions, peeled and left whole
1 small green pepper, deseeded and cut into 8 pieces
1 small red pepper, deseeded and cut into 8 pieces
16 button mushrooms
2 large bananas, peeled and cut into 8 chunks
1 (350-g/ 12-oz) can pineapple cubes, drained
For the marinade
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
salt and pepper
Blanch the onions and peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes so that they cook in the same time as the other ingredients. Drain and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Thread all the ingredients on to eight kebab skewers. Lay the kebabs in a shallow dish while making the marinade. Stir the oil, lemon juice, orange rind, walnuts, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Spoon the marinade over the kebabs and leave for about 1 hour. Barbeque for 8—10 minutes until evenly browned, brushing often with marinade.

Vegetable Kebabs
Serves 4
You will need
450 g/ 1 lb small new potatoes, scrubbed
1 medium green pepper, deseeded
1 large aubergine, cubed
450 g/ 1 lb small onions
8 bay leaves
16 button mushrooms
4 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon tomato purée
½ teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper
Cook the potatoes for 5 minutes in boiling water. Drain thoroughly. Cut the pepper into chunks. Thread the potatoes, pepper, aubergine, onions, bay leaves and mushrooms on to 8 skewers.
Mix together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, tomato purée, oregano and salt and pepper. Brush the kebabs all over with this mixture and cook them on a barbecue for about 10 minutes each side, basting with more of the oil mixture during cooking

chickendude
Jun 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Mmm...that sounds delicious! Maybe I'll make a suggestion for dinner tonight.

VeganJohn
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM
Great stuff Kenetic.

It would be great for people to post their vegan barbecue ideas here, can't beat cooking and eating in the outdoors.

When I first went vegan I picked up a leaflet packed wth ideas for vegan barbecues, sadly I lost it.

Kenetic
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:00 PM
These two are very good and even my omni friends realy like them with quotes like 'I never knew you could cook that well'