PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms are healthy or unhealthy ?

Pages : [1] 2

indianvegan
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I tasted mushroom in Thai/Chinesse recipe, when I was in New Delhi. I ate it first time there. Is it good stuff or bad one? :confused:

What are benefits and losses?

Manish Jain

Pob
Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
I hope they are OK as I eat them quite a lot :)

I heard they are almost entirely water and don't add significant quantities of either nutrients or "anti-nutrients" to the diet.

indianvegan
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
If so, should we eat it, as you said it has very poor nutirion value.:confused:

Manish Jain

Kiran
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Manish,

Mushrooms are certainly healthy. It is said that mushrooms contain essential nutrients. They are a great source of phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and selenium, nutrients often lacking in our high-processed-food diets. Also, mushrooms contain virtually no fat or cholesterol. They are also naturally low in sodium and a good source of fiber.

So they are quite safe and healthy. :) And I love em!!!!

xwitchymagicx
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Well if mushrooms don't have any nutrients that means I can stop eating them as I dislike them a lot. lol

^^ So they are healthy? Oh good so I haven't been eating them for nothing then.

indianvegan
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
There is a link about its various Indian recipe.
http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/mushroom.html

Please use alternate in place of Butter,Cheese,Eggs,Ghee,animal substance, if any in the above link

Manish Jain

Tray
Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Mushrooms provide a lot of substances that are essential for our metabolism as Kiran said..
Rob, it depends of what type of mushroom are you talking about.. That are a lot of "wild" mushrooms that are full of nutritive substances

Cherry
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Mushrooms are SO SO disgusting!!!

(Oops, apologies for that not on topic outburst, I just couldn't help myself! :o )

indianvegan
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Cherry for what reasons? Please

Manish Jain

Seaside
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Mushrooms are SO SO disgusting!!!

(Oops, apologies for that not on topic outburst, I just couldn't help myself! :o )They are! I hate 'em too. And they are not safe for people with mold or yeast problems. They aren't even recommended to feed to dogs. But if you are healthy, and you like them, you don't need to avoid them. :eek:

indianvegan
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
I believe, mushrooms do not require any Sunlight for its production. Does it affect it? Sunlight controls many bad micro organism or whatever in edibles.

Manish Jain

Cherry
Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Well, yes, eating fungi is a bit weird in itself :D

What I meant though was that I personally find them slimy and *shudder* just disgusting. Even the smell of them makes me feel ill.

I'm allergic to them (if I eat them I feel really really sick and dizzy and bloated) but I didn't know that until a couple of years ago. I've always just hated them.

Sorry mushrooms. Nothing personal.

PS, and yes, you're right Manish, mushrooms don't need sunlight. I wouldn't have thought this had much to do with them being healthy, other than the fact that they are fungi and not plants.
Sunlight controls many bad micro organism or whatever in edibles. - What do you mean?

Tigerlily
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
I think mushrooms give dishes a sort of meaty texture without being gross and realistic like meat subsitutes. Yum!

Sautee them with onions (using about 1-2 tsp of olive oil) and season with cumin and soy sauce. Delicious!

Kiran
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Cherry, maybe you and Redwellies can form a "I hate Mushrooms Club". She too dislikes mushrooms. In fact she gets violent, if the word is mentioned anywhere near her.

I love mushrooms especially the mushroom pakoras. Yum. Yum,. I use them a lot in stir-frys and currys. The rogan-josh with mushrooms is my fav. :D

Tigerlily
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Mushrooms make tofu scrambles delicous!

DancingWillow
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
I love mushrooms too! I'm a little surprised to know that quite a few people really despise them (people on this forum and people I know). I think they're very flavorful and eat them mostly for that reason, not for the nutrients. But, if they have nutrients in them, then all the better :)

puffin
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Im with you willow. I love them.
My husband and eldest hate them so i dont eat them very often.
I wait till i go out and have mushroom in everything.

twinkle
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
...I love mushrooms especially the mushroom pakoras. Yum. Yum,. I use them a lot in stir-frys and currys. The rogan-josh with mushrooms is my fav. :D

Whoa! I think I love you, Kiran.

I hope my keyboard doesn't stop working from the amount I've drooled over it :D

Kiran
Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Whoa! I think I love you, Kiran.

I hope my keyboard doesn't stop working from the amount I've drooled over it :D

Twinkle gurl, we ought to have a meetup in leeds sometime. I promise it will be a mushroom overload. I cook quite well.:D:D

I owe you one Twinke. I still remember that day last July when you gave me some nice candy. So this time I'm gonna return the favour with mushroom rogan-gosh. :D:D

The leeds meetup is in the agenda, as I was discussing it with vegandrummersam the other day. So keep drooling till then. :p

John
Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
I go by the philosophy that one should eat as many different vegetables--including fungi--as possible. Scientists actually don't know very much about vitamins and there could be many vitamins yet to be discovered.
It is also amazing how many different flavors and textures there are.

Tigerlily
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Can anoyone recommend me a mushroom? All I eat are the standard white button ones...

DancingWillow
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Tigerlily, portobello mushrooms are very good especially when marinated, and I like shiitake mushrooms as well (in stir fry's, etc).

veganwitch
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
I'm a huge mushroom fan as well. Tigerlily, I second Willow's suggestion of portobello's. They are incredible!!

I either drizzle them w/ a marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsely, & rosemary and put them under the broiler. Serve up on bread w/ nayonnaise sprinkled w/ tarragon....yum. OR..

The Portobello Mushroom Bake in The Garden of Vegan is superb.

Cherry
Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Cherry, maybe you and Redwellies can form a "I hate Mushrooms Club".

Yeh :D I think we already did :D

indianvegan
Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
PS, and yes, you're right Manish, mushrooms don't need sunlight. I wouldn't have thought this had much to do with them being healthy, other than the fact that they are fungi and not plants. - What do you mean?

I meant, if we keep any food grade/ edible stuff in dark( in 0 sunlight) it will get spoiled and harmful bacterias will grow inside. So, in the mushroom is there any possibility of harmful bacterias inside.:eek:

Mushrooms are plants/fruits ? or just fungi:confused:

Manish Jain