PDA

View Full Version : water

eve
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:04 AM
A major scientific report says city water authorities should be allowed to buy water from farmers to sustain the growing urban population. The CSIRO says without reform, water costs in metropolitan areas could rise more than 10 times over the next 25 years.

The report from the CSIRO and Monash University predicts Perth, Brisbane and Sydney will be the worst affected cities with the price of water jumping up to 10 times unless better reforms are put in place.

How come these scientists don't point out that phasing out cattle production, in fact all intensive farming, uses up far more water than domestic water consumption? It's pretty certain that using a little less water in the shower, eg, won't have any impact at all.

article in full at http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/2006/s1655402.htm

Roxy
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I agree Eve. So much water is wasted through farming. We need more sustainable farms. But I guess the problem is that big industry owns most of the farms nowdays and they don't really give a shit about anything other than turning a big profit.

DianeVegan
Jun 6th, 2006, 02:47 AM
You both bring up very good points. The whole issue of water is more complicated than I ever could have imagined. I just finished reading "When the Rivers Run Dry" (http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/5/23/18049/4045)by Fred Pearce and I urge everyone to read this book. It is frightening but hopeful at the same time since he gives examples of things that are working or could work in the future. I believe Australia was not one of the big water offenders and has actually done quited well compared to other countries.

And what Eve says about personal consumption is so correct - it's really agriculture and industry that waste the most.

Roxy
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I recently finished reading "Harvest for Hope" by Jane Goodall and there is a rather large chapter on "The Looming Water Crisis". In Chapter 18, she then talks about the state of Nebraska and the Water Crisis there. It is also well worth the read.