PDA

View Full Version : Home made smoked Portuguese vegan sausages on e-bay

Michael Benis
Jun 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
A new discovery:

These are great. Very tasty and chewy. Will definitely help anyone who's missing salami type sausages, though you have to eat these hot. Made by a vegan in Portugal and sold over e-bay. They got to me a couple of days after I paid. Make a nice change from Redwoods and have a nice continental tang. They're bit dry though, as you'd expect from a home made smoked sausage, so you'll want to eat them with something "wet", like mash or veg etc.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-VEGAN-SMOKED-SAUSAGES_W0QQitemZ4467293522QQcategoryZ90743QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Needless to say, I don't know the people, own the company or get free sausages for posting this!

Cheers

Mike

Mr Flibble
Sep 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Both alarming and intriguing all at the same time. They definately look interesting, however having viewed the production pictures I'm not sure as to the hygiene levels employeed (at one point they seem to be in a laundry basket).

Have you had them again Michael? There's some on ebay at the moment. It says the skin is snythetic and shouldn't be eaten - do you cook them with it on and then remove? Do they hold their shape? Are they definately soya (ie not someone having a laugh?).

I'm definately interested, but slightly scared ;)

Michael Benis
Sep 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Basket? That's country cooking at its best - probably chosen for photographic purposes.

From e-mail correspondence with Vera she seems sincere. I liked the sausages (peeled before eating, cooked in skin and yes, they do hold their shape, though you have to be careful when peeling them because they're a litle crubmly). A little dry (good on their own but equally with a sauce or mash) - flavourful and chunky with no meat/animal fat taste. I reckon they're fine (wouldn't have recommened them otherwise), but didn't send them off to a lab for testing so can't be 101% sure :D

Now that I know they're back up I'll order some more. She doesn't make them that often.

Cheers

Mike

purple.cow
Sep 21st, 2006, 02:24 AM
O_o

How strange but I'm glad you like them.

Tigerlily
Sep 21st, 2006, 02:52 AM
They look sort of gross. :S

purple.cow
Sep 21st, 2006, 03:50 AM
They look sort of gross. :S

Yeah, like something that...I better not say it. haha.