PDA

View Full Version : Curried Squash and Tofu - yummy

tasha
Jun 10th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Just made this last night...it was amazing! I can't wait to eat the left overs today!! You can play with the recipe if you like (e.g. add chick peas, cardamon pods, use more/less garlic, etc.) but it is delicious as is!

Curried Squash and Tofu

2 lb tofu (firm), cubed
3-4 tbsp oil (use your own judgement)
1 medium butternut squash, seeded and cubed
1/3 cup cashew butter
1 can tomatoes (or use chopped tomatoes, just keep juice)
2 chopped onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 tbsp curry paste (or powder)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 cup vegetable stock (or water, but better with stock!)
pinch of salt (or more to taste)

Heat oil over medium in large pot, add onions and carmalize (about 15-20 mins, scraping sides and bottom--add a little water if it sticks too much)

Meanwhile, puree tomatoes and cashew butter in blender or processor

Once onions are ready, stir in garlic, cinnamon, ginger, curry, sugar, salt, paprika, and tofu

Add tomato mixture, stock, and squash; bring to a boil, then simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until squash is done

Garnish with chopped coriander, cashews, or whatever you see fit...or eat as is!

tofutofu
Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Yum..sounds good. Im going to try it tonight:)

tasha
Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
I actually tried this recipe in my slow cooker--I just threw everything in at once and also added some chikpeas, then cooked it for about 6 hours and it was just as yummy! ;)

Megan89
Nov 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Just made this last night...it was amazing! I can't wait to eat the left overs today!! You can play with the recipe if you like (e.g. add chick peas, cardamon pods, use more/less garlic, etc.) but it is delicious as is!

Curried Squash and Tofu

2 lb tofu (firm), cubed
3-4 tbsp oil (use your own judgement)
1 medium butternut squash, seeded and cubed
1/3 cup cashew butter
1 can tomatoes (or use chopped tomatoes, just keep juice)
2 chopped onions
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 tbsp curry paste (or powder)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 cup vegetable stock (or water, but better with stock!)
pinch of salt (or more to taste)

Heat oil over medium in large pot, add onions and carmalize (about 15-20 mins, scraping sides and bottom--add a little water if it sticks too much)

Meanwhile, puree tomatoes and cashew butter in blender or processor

Once onions are ready, stir in garlic, cinnamon, ginger, curry, sugar, salt, paprika, and tofu

Add tomato mixture, stock, and squash; bring to a boil, then simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until squash is done

Garnish with chopped coriander, cashews, or whatever you see fit...or eat as is!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just made this SOOO TASTY! This is definitiely going to become a regular dish for me......just 1 or 2 things i did differently that other people might be interested in:
1. I boiled squash for 5 min then roasted in oil for 25min (This reduced cooking time considerably). Then added to tomato, tofu and onion mix and cooked altogether for 10min.
2. No cashew butter in store cupboard at the moment, so used peanut butter instead - worked fine.
3. Served it with brown rice and green salad.

Thanks again Tasha for sharing such a delish recipe :):D:):D:)

animaladvocate
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
The above mouth-watering descriptions rendered me unable to resist trying this recipe for myself.
Just made if for this evening's dinner-omg!!!

Megan89
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
:DYIPPEE....pass on the curried squash and tofu luuuurve!!:p
hehe :cool:xxx

animaladvocate
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
:DYIPPEE....pass on the curried squash and tofu luuuurve!!:p
hehe :cool:xxx
Tastes like very posh, rather nutty chip shop curry don't it, lol?

Megan89
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Tastes like very posh, rather nutty chip shop curry don't it, lol?
good way 2 some it up i'd say!!!:)