PDA

View Full Version : How to make nice food every day

Pages : 1 [2]

Smoothie
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM
yeah. dumpster diving is awesome:D

today i got off work at 12 pm, so i went out and shopped, and went straight home. made two jars of vegan icecream - it's soo good, i can't believe i never did this before - and then i boiled some soybeans and some black beans that i soaked yesterday, and froze them in portions. soaked some kidneybeans and butter beans for tomorrow. then i did the dishes, did my laundry (my boyfriends clothes are always clean, but mine are always dirty - guess who's the lazy bastard here?:)), and started to grow my own soy yoghurt - it's hopefully gonna work out well this time. at last i cooked a really nice sour tomato soup - a huge portion, so i could freeze some for a busy day. i've been so productive today:D

Haniska
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:20 AM
What have been your experiences with growing soyghurt? (haha, sorry) Do you use a yoghurt machine or do you have a different method? I would love to try this!

Syren
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM
In the Garden of Vegan, it says that you can add a certain culture or a bit of live soyghurt to soymilk with some cornstarch/thickener, warm your oven (lowest possible setting, then turn it off), mix it up in a jar, take off the lid, and leave it in the oven for 7-10 hours (ie. overnight). Voila!

Never tried it myself, however.

Smoothie
Jun 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
well, i tried to heat the soymilk until it was fingery hot, and then added t tablespoon of already made soy yoghurt - it went well the first time, but think the soymilk was too hot the second.

now i'm trying to just put soymilk in a open jar and add a tablespoon of ready made soy yoghurt and just let it stay in the fridge for a couple of days. i'll let you know how well it workd, when it's done.

DianeVegan
Jun 16th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Getting back to the original question of how to make nice food everyday - I make it my #1 priority. I go to work everyday in order to save for the future and in order to live life to the fullest today (since we need money to do so in our culture). I look at food similarly as being the only path to a healthy today and future, so I don't put the preparation of food in some stranger's hands but rather do it myself. I think that once you embrace how very important and vital food preparation is, then the rest follows more easily. I feel the same about exercise and taking time to talk to my spouse every day. (This of course means that I never have time to sit and watch television, although I do sit in front of this computer monitor:) ).

I could give you my formula for fast and easy healthy foods, etc, etc. But I think truly changing your mindset is the only thing that works. I think it would be easy to attach some deep philosophical, spiritual and loving thoughts to food preparation and it's effect on your life (and relationships) but I won't bore you.:)

Smoothie
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
yeah, i would do that if i weren't so grossed out after cooking from 9 am to 4 pm every day - i don't know, i love to cook, but sometimes it's just too much cooking ALL day, EVERY day..

herbwormwood
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
You are really asking for freezable stuff.
I do stew, chilli, curry and soups which freeze easy. I usually make extra and freeze at least 1 portion.
There are a lot of recipes on the net.
You can also cook brown rice in advance and freeze it.
However I find I don't like much of this sort of thing during the summer, its too heavy. Pasta salad and potato salad work well made in advance and put in the fridge so you could make those at the weekend for Monday and Tuesday.
By the way I rarely use my oven. I make most stuff on the stove in 1 pot. I find it easier than using the oven.

Smoothie
Jun 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
yeah, but it's pretty hard making cakes and cookies in a pot:D and bread for that matter. what's better than hot rolls from the oven on a sunday morning?.. *drool*

DianeVegan
Jun 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Ah, but cakes, cookies, muffins and bread freeze so well!!!

treehugga
Jun 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM
See the 'pie filling' thread in the recipe section.

I make pies and triangles and freeze them and have them with a salad when we're too tired to cook.
Or
We have bruchetta with pane de casa bread and garlic rubbed on it when toasted then we pile it with cooked mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, baby spinich, pine nuts, red onion etc etc - healthy and quick.

I try to double quantities and freeze some for later or use as a take to work meal.

jennyL
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I find it hard to get a decent dinner together sometimes too, and I have two kids so they have to eat something! I'm often gone from the house from 8 am until 8 pm so sometimes we just have sandwiches for dinner. If I'm organized enough (doesn't happen often) I'll make stuff ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to reheat. Veggie chili, a curry dish, rice and beans...these work well. Pasta is always as easy standby. If I really don't feel like doing anything...subway is on the way home!