PDA

View Full Version : individual pies - filling suggestions

the_marmite_kid
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
hello, i would like to make some individual pies for days out and to put in the freezer. i'm a little stuck for filling recipes. does anyone have ideas for fillings. i know you can put just about anything in pies but i was looking for some things that aren't too runny or dry.

any suggestions would be appreciated

twinkle
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Tofu-mushroom-garlic quiche and Lentil, tomato puree and garam masala are two of my favourite pie fillings.

I don't have an exact recipe but I'll figure one out if you want...

tasha
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
This may sound odd, but it is "very" tasty. Fill it up with thick homemade chilli (I make my chilli with beans, squash, bulgar, onions, garlic, mushrooms, lot's of spices, and of course, diced tomatoes). I tend to fill pies with just about any leftovers ;)

the_marmite_kid
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
thank you twinkle and tasha, if you do have a recipe for the tofu, mushroom and garlic filling i would like to give that a go. i think im going to have a go at making a dry(ish) curry filling and a chilli one. they sound nice enough to be eaten cold :)

moochbabe
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:08 PM
i think steamed potatoes with some kind of "creamy" gravy, peas, broccoli, and maybe some other veggies too would be a good pie filler and sounds yummy (maybe even better) eaten cold--it would probably set up better

Haniska
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:57 AM
*pouts at all of these savory recipes*;)

the_marmite_kid
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
i made some pies today :) i made chilli ones which were lovely, ive just tested one and want to test all the others. i tried a curried potato and chick pea filling which was the only small pie filling recipe i found and it wasnt very good, i tried jazzing it up but it wasnt so great so i only made a couple of them.

the chilli ones are really nice though, im defiantely going to make more of those. im going to look for a creamy type sauce as i do like the sound of potato and veg in a creamy sauce.

thanks for your suggestions veganforum people.

vegan1969
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM
How about 'Gentle Shepherd's Pie', hydrate some tvp and put into your pie dish (I use chunks instead of ground) I have also used Boca burger crumbles then top tvp with some vegan gravy (I make mine homeade and fat free by taking about 1/2 c water in a saucepan adding 1/2 cup flour spices (I use garlic powder, basil, paprika and pepper) and then enough soymilk or plain soy coffee cream to get to a creamy consistency. Last I top with some mashed potatoes.

So you have 3 layers in your pie dish, bottom layer of tvp, covered by the gravy layer and topped with the mashed potato layer. I like to sprinkle parsley on top. You could also put some peas or mushrooms on top of your tvp layer. I cook this all the time and my husband really loves it. It's inexpensive and good. I cook it for 30 min at 350 and the top layer of potatoes gets light brown and crunchy.

I usually make big batches and freeze in different casserole/pie dishes so I can pull it out and cook it off conveniently as needed. Just layer it in the dish but don't cook it off and freeze it, wait to cook it when you pull it out of the freezer and let it cook about 45-55 min at 350.

sugarmouse
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Great thread! i have only attempted at a pie once and it was more of a sweet pie.I just wanted to know i could make vegan pastry!which i did..and the filling was grapefruit and apple. It was quite nice, and this thread has inspired me to attempt a savory pie.next time i get chance to cook,I will make a soya mince and veggie pie! watch this space!

treehugga
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:41 AM
mushie pies.

saute mushrooms add 1 tblspoon flour and enough soy milk to make thick sauce. Add salt andf pepper and 1/2 teaspoon fake chicken or beef stock.

Place in pastry cases and top with creamy mashed potato. yum

mophoto
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:50 AM
those recipes sound good:) ... i can live on amy's frozen pot pie and shepards pie..but they are expensive