PDA

View Full Version : Too much soy?

spider
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Hi I'm currently an ovolactovegewhatyoucallit but I'm considering going the full hog (excuse the pun). By considering I mean I'm just working out the logistics.

I like tofu and soy substitutes a lot. I'm not so hot on soy milk but I'm willing to learn. So I already have a fair amount of soy in my diet.

My concern is that when I substitute the last remnants of animal products ie: milk, eggs (that's going to be interesting, thanks for the tips so far) and cheese (oh how am i going to live without you) the amount of soy in my diet is going to skyrocket.

So my question is, taking in consideration that I'm lazy and will usually resort to the soy options over less familiar alternatives, how much soy is too much? Am I going to grow super big ovaries from too much oestrogen? Is there such thing as too much soy?

Forgive me if you've already had to deal with this question from a million other n00bs.

eve
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:53 AM
hi spider, yes there have been other threads dealing with this topic. Just a few words though - too much of anything is no good, and that goes for soy as for anything else. I notice that you don't mention fruits and veggies, even though they are the main foods for vegans. Just speaking for myself, I do have a glass of soymilk every day, and occasionally a savoury tofu. You mention not being hot on soymilk - can it be that you've only tried So Good (which to me is no good, for reasons I won't go into now). Have you tried So Milky? or some other soymilk made from whole Australian soy beans?

In response to your question of how much soy is too much, I'd say that you are the best judge of moderation in your diet. :)

DianeVegan
Jun 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Spider,

Eve gives some very good points. I would like to add that new vegans probably eat a lot of soy foods and processed soy products in an effort to ease into veganism. After time, you discover so many foods you've probably never considered before that the soy substitute foods start to drop out of your diet.

I'm not a huge fan of soy products but I probably incorporate them into our diet a few times a week. As far as eggs and cheese - you will stop missing them eventually. There is a slightly addictive substance in cheese but it's not nearly as strong as nicotine or other addictive substances. I think cheese probably stands in the way of many vegetarians converting to veganism - so I might ask myself if too much soy is nearly as bad as too much dairy.

Good luck with the change and feel free to ask more questions.:)

Glen
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Hey there,

When I went Vegan just over a year ago I thought that I was going to live on nothing but Tofu! How I have changed! I would think that too much of anyone food is bad, and on the basis of all the Soya research I';ve done I would say it is good for you, but maybe eating it a few times a week is best.

Soya milk is OK, and fairly cheap, but you may also want to hunt down some rice, almond or oat milk, usually find some in a health food store.

As Eve says, fruit & veg are obviously a big part of the diet as well as grains from pasta, bread, rice, quinoa, wheat etc. If you like your substitutes you could always try to buy some wheat gluten, aka, tempeh, seitan etc, or make your own. I find these to be far more tasty and like meat than any soya product. Although I am not sure what is availible in Oz.

Glen x

Blix
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hey there,

When I went Vegan just over a year ago I thought that I was going to live on nothing but Tofu! How I have changed! I would think that too much of anyone food is bad, and on the basis of all the Soya research I';ve done I would say it is good for you, but maybe eating it a few times a week is best.

Soya milk is OK, and fairly cheap, but you may also want to hunt down some rice, almond or oat milk, usually find some in a health food store.

As Eve says, fruit & veg are obviously a big part of the diet as well as grains from pasta, bread, rice, quinoa, wheat etc. If you like your substitutes you could always try to buy some wheat gluten, aka, tempeh, seitan etc, or make your own. I find these to be far more tasty and like meat than any soya product. Although I am not sure what is availible in Oz.

Glen x
I agree. I have learned to make soya milk without the beany aftertaste. Look up Rose Elliots book ' The Vegetarian Low Carb diet'. She uses so much soy and dairy, load of cheese and cream, that I can't help but think that she's heading for trouble, but she puts in vegan alternatives. Her recipe for soya milk and soya yoghurt are really good, so is her recipe for making seitan. I buy my wheat gluten from www.flourbin.com (http://www.flourbin.com) It costs £1.20 for 500 grams, but there is a £10 minimum order and £6.45 carriers costs. I bought 9 bags and it cost £17.75, but it will last me ages. Even so, it still works out a VERY cheap protein that is quite tasty. You can taste the wheat, but it reminds you of meat without the slaughter. It is especially good if you are cooking for non vegan/vegetarians. It really fools them! !:rolleyes: You must have a really good tasting broth to mix the gluten flour in to start with,. I used marmite and water, then boiled it in water with a vegetable stock cube added. but I intend to experiment. About Soya, I had a newsletter from 'The Clouds Trust' a cancer charity which deals with natural ways to deal with cancer and they provide 'Essiac Tea' the anti cancer herbal remedy, which also works. They said, about soy, that too much soya can disrupt the functioning of the thyroid. That fermented soy products are fine, but that concentrated isoflavones, like the capsules that health supplement catalogues sell, have proven to increase the cells, so may increase the risk of cancer. They are just too concentrated. Why not also, try making your own cheeses, like those found in Alissa Cohens book?

sheri beri
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I agree that soy may be used as an ocassional thing that the main stay of the diet should be, veges, fruit, and whole grains and legumes raw nuts...I think that we evolve into a vegan diet little by little, i didn't become vegan all at once, little by little your body adjusts and you naturally drop foods, i'm a beleiver that the body lets you know when its ready.....Ay big part of veganism is honoring the journey and the feedback you get from your organism....so I'd say enjoy where you are much will be gained....:D

Rndm
Oct 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Mr Flibble
Oct 10th, 2006, 04:22 PM
who is everyone? There's plenty of anti soy propoganda out there

PygmyGoat
Oct 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Personally I cannot stand Mr McDougall and his get-rich-quick books :( . He spouts a lot of nonsense about several things, not least Depression (as an example). He also eats Meat once in a while so he can 'appear normal' :eek: .

Not everything is good for everyone. I don't do well on a heavy, starchy, grain based diet, for example.

Rndm
Oct 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM

PygmyGoat
Oct 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Jani, I read his book and he did state that he eats meat on occasion so that people will still consider him 'normal'. That comment really angered me. Each to his own, though, I am glad it worked for you :) .

Really, though, there are 'cons' to most things, aren't there?. The worst thing about Soy to me is the rainforest destruction :( .

Rndm
Oct 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Fifty9
Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
I've actually met and spoken with Dr. McDougall on several occasions. His books are certainly not a "get rich quick" idea, and if there is anything lacking in his books, that would be "nonsense". He spends a lot of time going over the research, and has done a lot of good towards promoting plant-based diets.

I have heard him say that he eats a little piece of turkey, once every-other Thanksgiving. He has stated his reasons for this a few different ways, and usually they are not to be taken literally. I once heard him say that he does it because people were calling him a vegetarian and he doesn't like to be called names. It's all meant to be taken in light, so don't let this bother you.

Korn
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:07 AM
If he eats turkey not to be called a vegetarian, I'll hereby call him a non-vegan, so if he doesn't like to be called names, he better stop eating turkey! :) I'll promise not to call him a vegan if he goes vegan. :)

(Eating turkey NOT to be called a vegetarian? Now, that definitely qualifies for ending up in the list over silly arguments pro eating meat... :) )

Fifty9
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
It works for him though. He might just do it to protect himself from anti-veg people/organizations who proclaim that Dr. McDougall is a radical vegan extremist, and therefore cares only about pushing his agenda rather than promoting health. He may also do it to show his patients that they don't have to completely give up their favorite foods.

Then again, he may just really like a little turkey every other Thanksgiving. I think he also eats a little salmon once every year or two. He said something about a friend who goes on these fishing trips... I don't know. He certainly doesn't eat very much during these rare occasions.

DancingWillow
May 7th, 2007, 05:54 AM
i feel that i've been eating too much soy products lately. as i've posted before, i like soy products, but avoid them for health reasons. recently, however, i've been craving them and giving in to the cravings...i've eaten quite a bit of soy yogurt (which i love!), and also soy cheese, soy ice-cream and other soy-based desserts, and so on. maybe i'm lacking protein in my diet and that's why i'm craving it?

NinjaGorilla
May 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I drink two glasses (250ml each) of fortified chocolate soy milk a day to reach my daily calcium and B12 levels. Currently I don't have time to put a lot of effort in cooking and so I buy prepared vegan meals with tofu or tempeh in them. I'm considering to replace the tofu & tempeh more often with nuts because nuts are a good protein-source as well.

cobweb
May 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I am sure I eat too much soy - milk, sausages, cheezly, margarine, tofu.......:o

Still, I'd rather be eating that then animal bits and bobs :eek: .

cobweb
May 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
If he eats turkey not to be called a vegetarian, I'll hereby call him a non-vegan, so if he doesn't like to be called names, he better stop eating turkey! :) I'll promise not to call him a vegan if he goes vegan. :)

(Eating turkey NOT to be called a vegetarian? Now, that definitely qualifies for ending up in the list over silly arguments pro eating meat... :) )

Yes, yes - when I read that bit of his book I got so mad that I just couldn't read anymore :mad: .

button
May 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Soy scares me! I don't eat it at all. :)

cobweb
May 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Soy scares me! I don't eat it at all. :)

why is that, Button?

button
May 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Too estrogenic. Messes with the thyroid gland. It's so easy to eat A LOT so I don't eat soy/tofu at all.