PDA

View Full Version : chocolate mmmmmmmmouse

cedarblue
Jun 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM
455gm/1 lb silken tofu (i used 329gm)
285gm/10oz vegan plain choc (i used 200gm)
3 tbs maple syrup (i used 2tbs)
1 tsp vanilla essence (1 used 1tsp)
pinch salt (i used just under)

because i didnt have the full amount of tofu i just reduced the amount of the other ingredients in rough proportion)

line a sieve with kitchen paper and put tofu on it, cover with kitchen paper and put a weight (i used two lgs cans of beans) onto to squeeze out liquid, for approx 15/20 mins.

blend tofu in blender/mixer until just smoooth.

soften chocolate and syrup in double boiler or in bowl over pan of hot water over a low heat. stir with rubber or plastic spatula till the mix has melted and combine. pour chocolate mix along with vanilla and salt into processor with tofu.

mix until creamy, scraping down the sides to ensure all is mixed in.

refridgerate for at least an hour or so.

i am having this for dessert tonight with strawberries. had a sneaky taste before cooling it and it tasted goooooooood

had a brainwave while making it; you could pour it into a pre-baked pastry case and make a choco-torte with it!

recipe came from VIVA 'how do be dairy-free' booklet.

feral
Jun 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
*drools* Think I know what I'm going to do with the pack of silken tofu in the cupboard... thanks cedarblue!

vegan1969
Jun 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
that sounds so good, i haven't had chocolate in a long while so i think i'll splurge and make this recipe tomorrow, thnx

Tigerlily
Jun 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Could I use semi-sweet chocolate chips?

cedarblue
Jun 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
welll, you could but you'd need an awful lot of them, 200gm of choc was two whole bars, i dont know how that would convert into chips - not sure if they would melt down the same. if the choc chip stuff is the same as bar chocolate?

it was very rich & i ate it with some raspberries & strawbs. it gets thicker and more firm the longer you leave it. just had some more for afters today :o

edupen
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM
yummmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :p

snaffler
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Brilliant cheers for that, I am going to do that one def :)

Cherry
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Sounds good.

I've been making really easy mousse with whippable soya cream (2 parts cream to 1 part melted choc) with a couple of tablespoons of kahlua :) Nice.

Tigerlily
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
welll, you could but you'd need an awful lot of them, 200gm of choc was two whole bars, i dont know how that would convert into chips - not sure if they would melt down the same. if the choc chip stuff is the same as bar chocolate?

What bars were you using? Gross baking chocolate bars? Or actual chocolate bars that people unwrap and eat as is?

Cherry
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Lol Tigerlily. I eat 'gross baking chocolate' as is :D Yummy.

Chocolate chips are just chocolate in little drops. You'd still need 200g of chips.

If you use chocolate chips or chop your chocolate into small pieces then it melts quickly and evenly at a lower temp. The chocolate book I have recommends chopping up, but I usually just break the bar up and it's fine. Think it's just if you're doing complicated things like tempering the choc that you really need to melt it quickly.

You can use any sort of chocolate in a mousse, it will just make the mousse taste like the bar you use. If you prefer more 'milky' chocolate it'll just make a more 'milky' mousse.

Tigerlily
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks. :)

foxytina_69
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
10 oz of plain chocolate would be 1 1/4 cups of chocolate chips. (because 8 oz is one cup)

i make something similar to this for icing. its freakin goodddddd.

herbwormwood
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I made choc mousse yesterday.
I melted a bar of plamil organic orange chocolate in the microwave (I only gave it a few seconds) then I put it in the blender with a pack of silken tofu for another few seconds.
Then I put it into little glass dishes and put them in the fridge.
It was very easy.

cedarblue
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
What bars were you using? Gross baking chocolate bars? Or actual chocolate bars that people unwrap and eat as is?

i used ordinary plain green & blacks.