PDA

View Full Version : Vegan meal ideas?

Pages : [1] 2

foxytina_69
Sep 5th, 2004, 11:57 PM
im running out of ideas for what to eat and its making me very frusturated. does anyone have any meal ideas that are their favourites?

harpy
Sep 6th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Do you make stir-fries, foxytina? I like those because they are very little trouble and you can vary the ingredients so you never have exactly the same one twice. Also you can cook it very lightly and with very little oil so it's healthy- pretty much like a slightly-cooked salad.

I'm planning to make one this evening with

ginger
garlic
spring onions (scallions?)
broccoli
sweet pepper
carrots
mushrooms
tofu or cashew nuts - haven't decided yet.

I'll serve it with either brown basmati rice or buckwheat noodles.

Artichoke47
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I like to eat things that already have premade in the freezer (homemade, of course), such as soups, burritos, pecan-cashew balls, stuffed zucchini or eggplant, different legume/vegetable combinations (from recipes), lentil spaghetti sauce.

I usually eat something that I have already made with a salad or steamed vegetables and fruit. :)

Do you have any cookbooks? Vegan cookbooks are wonderful. I have about 35 of them.

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 12:56 AM
i like stirfries, but id rather eat sumthing with more protein. im really sick of carbs and im not getting enough protein. yes i have two vegan cookbooks :)

Artichoke47
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:01 AM
My advice would be to always have a legume, nut, and/or whole grain with your meal. If you have something that you feel doesn't have a lot of protein, then eat some peanut butter and apples or a handful of nuts or something. :)

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:06 AM
i wish i had nuts :( im really running low on food! i do have sum peanut butter tho :\ and the only whole grain things i can eat are brown rice stuff (due to celiac) but that doesnt feel very protein filling.

harpy
Sep 7th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Foxytina, composite dishes like stir fries can actually be made fairly high in protein. You could always have both nuts and tofu in it, and bean sprouts too. Also you can put a tbsp or two of peanut butter in the sauce.

If you want to reduce carbohydrates you don't have to serve it with rice if you don't want to. You could have it with quinoa, which is a bit like rice but is, I gather, much higher in protein - I think that is OK with a coeliac condition isn't it?

If you feel you're not getting enough protein, why not buy yourself a selection of (unroasted and unsalted) nuts and have those as a between meals snack? They are very nutritious and satisfying.

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:42 AM
thanx harpy :)

Artichoke47
Sep 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
I also think that it would serve you (or anyone, for that matter) well to eat a lunch or dinner that contains a salad with romaine or spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, other vegetables, with a couple servings of fresh fruit or dried fruit. Obviously, the lunch would be comprised of more food than that, but the salad could be an appetizer and the fruit dessert. You wouldn't believe how energized I feel after eating such a meal.

And I think your body signals your brain when you need more protein. I know it when I can't stop thinking about peanut butter. LOL

Seriously, though, try to get more servings of fruits and vegetables; it will tremendously help your energy level. Think colorful!

Artichoke47
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I have a recipe for pecan-cashew balls that I will post in the recipe section. Those make a great addition to a vegetable-based meal. I eat them plain, but you can make sauce, like a tahini sauce or something, to go with them.

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:19 PM
thanx artichoke :) i get to get sum veggies today so thats good. when i need protein i crave meat :( its very annoying! and when i need calcium i crave cheese. i know i definitely do not get enough veggies tho.

Artichoke47
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:36 PM
You're welcome. :)

I posted a lentil tomato sauce recipe, too. Lentils have a lot of protein, and if you can use whole wheat pasta, that will add even more protein to the dish.

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:14 AM
This has been my favorite quick meal as of late, so I thought I'd post it.

The soup recipe is here: http://veganforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7694&postcount=1

I make single-serving containers and freeze it.

Or a spinach salad w/ vegetables and sprouts would also make a great appetizer, side dish.

For each person (or serving), use 2 oz. (weighted when dry) of cooked Udon pasta (in the Chinese/Asian section) and 1/2 to 1 c. broccoli, 1/2 to 1 c. carrots, and 2 T. of the peanut sauce:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10430&postcount=1

foxytina_69
Nov 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM
i wish i could eat udon noodles :(

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Use wide rice noodles instead, Foxy! I use them where Udons are called for... :) The bonus is they take 3 minutes to be ready!

cedarblue
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:38 PM
foxy, have you checked out the recipe thread? there are lots of individual recipes there or site where you can find loads of ideas :)

jumpinglegacy
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:08 PM
I recommend fried tofu fajitas... just put a teeny bit of olive oil in a frying pan, head it to medium, and throw a few thin slices of tofu in. Let it cook for a minute or two, and then flip the slices over to cook them on the other side. Add a bit of salsa, and a bit of almond or peanut butter, scramble it together, and wrap it into a fajita! I love them... delish!

gothic_ana
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM
what about like if u get pita bread but Vegan of corse and everyone makes a salad or meat (depending on who u have there?) a roll and its custom made and u can have anything on it.
u can if u eat vegan chesse toast it under the grill or in the oven with tomartos in it?
here is a good bread that i am using. im sure its vegan it dosent say it has animal bi products ect. ill give u the website:

http://www.ausmanufacturers.com.au/mountainbread/

i know this is ganna sound stupid im a new vegan been vego for a while but is that bread vegan?

i think it is but i wanna make sure if u know what i mean.
thanx heeps and ill give u somewebsites soon fr somemore ideas.

eve
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:53 AM
What about emailing them with your question about whether or not it is vegan?
btw, shouldn't these posts be in the recipes forum?

gothic_ana
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:03 AM
i did eve but i thought cos most of you have been vegan for awhile you would have a better idea then me. :)
i dunno i was just responding to the post :confused: :D

Mystic
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Gothic Ana, mountain bread is vegan - it is yummy isn't it :)

gothic_ana
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:10 PM
yay, can i get a toot toot lol sorry im just excited bout everything. thanx heeps for confermin that for me :D
its so nice lol
ty banana :)

Mystic
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:14 PM
It's not filling though - I am always hungry after a mountain bread wrap LOL - but I love all of the varieties - the corn one is great for burritos and the wholewheat one and the barley one is yummy for salad wraps or filled with falafel, tahini and tabbouli :p

gothic_ana
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM
yeah same lol
i have the organic one with lettice and betroot. yummmy :)
so all of them are vegan? i wasnt sure im still new at this :D
but they r healthyer than bread i think anyways.

cheers & ur pritty. :)

Mystic
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Thanx gothic :)

Yeah, all of them are vegan, so you can munch all you want :)

Where is Oz are you???