PDA

View Full Version : cream alternatives

triona.d.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
hi everyone, i've got a recipe for butter bean and pesto pasta but it uses single cream. i know i can get vegan pesto and i know that non-dairy soya cream is available but i can only find sweetened for desserts etc. does anyone know if i can get the equivalent of single cream to use for this sauce? my mum suggested using soya yoghurt but i thought it might separate when heated. any suggestions???? cheers!

Pob
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
I've used soya yoghurt in curry, and it didn't separate. I accidentally tipped almost the whole pot in.:o

Soya cream is sweetened to try and make it as sweet as cow's milk cream, so it probably will work fine, too.

vegan1969
Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
I use silk plain coffee cream to replace heavy cream, I use it in 'alfredo' sauces, etc. and it works quite well........sometimes I add a little tofutti plain cream cheese for a thickener or cornstarch depending on what I'm cooking, if it's savory or sweet

I've also heard of people using powdered soy milk (http://www.veganstore.com/index-store.html?deptid=17117&parentid=39&stocknumber=438&page=2&itemsperpage=12)and making it with little water so it's thick like cream

there's also vegan heavy cream:
http://www.veganstore.com/images/624-L.jpg

hope this helps....

Juniper
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
We use the Alpro soya cream (as kindly illustrated by vegan1969) in quite a few savoury recipies and it works fine.

triona.d.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
thank you so much everyone - i think i will pop down to fresh and wild and get the alpro one and let you know how it works out. you're all so kind taking time to advise...thanks! tri X

veggiewoman
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
hope you like it, I know its very yummy stuff.

On a slightly different sort of cream, I bought this week in Sainsbury a SALAD cream . its also in the BE GOOD TO YOURSELF reduced fat section lol, IT says its VEGAN and I have to say it is very very yummy.I'm addicted now lol.