PDA

View Full Version : Diebetic Cake

Mammal
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
Does anyone have any recipes for a good diabetic cake or a website with good Diabetic Cakes (vegan of course!)
And OMG, the American Diabetic Assoc. is crap! I mean the misinfo and not telling Diabetics that a vegan diet is the only best answer for them is just horrid!!!

vegan1969
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Anytime I see the word diabetic in a thread I always recommend this video (http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=ynXGA6fCEgU&search=vegan):

This is one (http://www.myhq.com/public/s/u/susanv/)of my fav collective websites and they have a little bit of everything so I'm guessing they have something for diabetics too

I don't know if this recipe would be appropriate for diabetics but this is my fav cake recipe:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup prune juice
1 banana
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 t baking powder
1/2 - 1 t cinnamon (depending on your like of cinnamon)
or use allspice
1/2 cup soy milk
1 T milled flax seed mixed with 3 T water
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup raisins (or any dried fruit such as cherries, etc.)

put prune juice, soy milk, banana, cinnamon, flax seed with water and pumpkin in a food processor and mix
add flour, baking powder and rest of flax and mix
add walnuts and raisins and pulse enough to fold in

I like to top the cake with sliced almonds (optional) and bake at 350 for about 35-45 min (you may need to cover the cake with foil for the last 10 min to prevent over browning on top.....It's really tasty!

Tigerlily
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Wow, that sounds really good!

vegan1969
Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Wow, that sounds really good!

those are some of my fav things to eat all rolled into one cake so I make one every week, I'm predictable I know, and freeze it and pull a piece out when wanted which is almost every day....it's a great way to get some omega 3 (milled flax).....it's soooo good and you can substitute things in it like use applesauce instead of pumpkin or banana or different fruit instead of raisins and different nuts instead of walnuts or different spices instead of cinnamon........i'm always mixing it up and I never get bored with it....i have a piece thawing out in the fridge now, yum

Tigerlily
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
:) I soooo have to make it. Next time I go grocery shopping, I'll pick the ingredients up.

Mammal
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:28 AM
vegan1969, thank you so much! That vid link and the website links are amazing! i never knew there was so much! And that cake! I HAVE to make it! It sounds so YUMMY!! Thank You lots :)

Di
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Find a vegan cake recipe that uses maple syrup for sweetening, then replace the volume of the syrup with 1/2 c soymilk and 1/2 cup applesauce. Add 2 tablespoons egg replacer for binding and 1.5 tsp pure stevia extract and follow the recipe directions with your "new" sweetener.