Eggless Omelets

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 T nutritional yeast
1 tsp non-aluminum baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of tumeric

scant 1 cup of non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp oil

1. Place the flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt and tumeric in medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined.

2. Pour the milk and oil into the dry ingredients and stir well with a wire wisk to make a smooth batter. Let the batter rest for 5 or 10 minutes then stir again.

3. Preheat a skillet until hot (flick with water, the water should sizzle and steam). Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan, swirl around to create a 5 or 6 inch circle.

4. Cook omelet until top is completely dry and bottom is deep golden brown. Loosen omelet with a spatula and cook other side until it is a deep golden color and flecked with brown. Slide omelet onto plate.

5. Fold omelets in half or stuff with your favorite fillings prior to folding

I added a bit of onion powder to the batter. You can also add parsley, tabasco, veggy bacon bits, scallions, dill etc..

Melty White Cheez

1 1/3 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
2 Tbsp tahini
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Place all ingredients into a blender and process until completely smooth.

2. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and place on medium-high heat. Constantly whisk until sauce is very thick and smooth.

Note: The sauce will thicken when chilled but will become melty again once gently reheated.

I made my omelets by taking stuffing an omelet with sauteed kale and the cheez sauce then drizzling some cheez sauce on top. Yum. :)

foxytina_69
Dec 26th, 2004, 08:10 PM
mmm thanx feline!

Tigerlily
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Sounds good!

When it says to cook only 1/3 of the batter...does that mean the rest of the batter goes to make another one for someone else? How many servings does this serve?

feline01
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM
The recipe made about 2 huge omelets, enough for 2 or 3 people. You can make smaller omelets, just use a smaller measuring cup. It's very flexible.

Sabster
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM
I saw that and was thinking that's from Vegan Vittles isn't it. The 'omelets' alone are awesome:) I usually toss in chives. I've made them a few times and once for my family. Quite good. I haven't made them with the 'cheese' though.

Tigerlily
Dec 27th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah I don't think I'd like the cheez. I never liked real cheese on my egg omelets before I became vegan, so I doubt I would now.

foxytina_69
Dec 29th, 2004, 10:46 PM
what is the difference between normal whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour? and i wonder if i could make the cheese without the oats?

Gorilla
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:20 PM
sounds yummers feline :)

i used to hate eggs but for some reason was sometimes a bit partial to a cheese omelette. this should be worth trying :D

feline01
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:56 PM
what is the difference between normal whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour? and i wonder if i could make the cheese without the oats?

whole wheat pastry flour has been milled finer. if you don't have it on hand, you can use reg whole wheat flour. just put it in the blender or food processor and process until fine. don't think the cheez sauce would thicken well without the oats.

foxytina_69
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:39 AM
well i cant eat wheat so i just used brown rice flour instead, and with the cheese sauce, i thickened it with brown rice flour rather then oats. it worked out great, but the omlette part didnt fold over well without breaking. i smothered both with the cheese sauce (which is delicious!) and parsely, stuffed them with sauteed mushrooms and dipped them in ketchup while i ate them. they were delicious! but they tasted more like pancakes than eggs :)

feline01
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:25 AM
That's what I thought as well, more pancakey but still delicous

foxytina_69
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:43 PM
ugh i cant get over how good these are!

foxytina_69
Feb 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
does the cookbook with these have the nutritional info for the pancakes and cheese sauce feline?

feline01
Feb 14th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty sure it does, I'll post it next time I have access to the cookbook (it's home, I'm at work)

foxytina_69
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM
thanx feline :)

feline01
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Here they are Foxy. I finally remembered!!

For the eggless omelets, per serving:
153 calories, 7gm protein, 27gm carbohydrate, 2gm fat

Melty white cheeze per 1/4 cup:
80 calories, 4gm protein, 9gm carbohydrates, 3gm fat

mattd
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
has anyone ever tried a tofu omlette? there's an excellent recipe for them in The Garden of Vegan. i too wasn't a huge fan of eggs (i hated the aftertaste that lasted for hours) but i did really miss omlettes when i went vegan. i was super excited to find the recipe. if anyone wants to try that one just let me know and i'll post it.

foxytina_69
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
thanx feline,

would 1 serving be half the amount of batter? because u said it made two omlettes :)

feline01
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:30 AM
The cookbook wasn't specific but I gather it means 1/2 the recipe.

foxytina_69
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:52 AM
thanx feline :)

Steph
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:59 AM
has anyone ever tried a tofu omlette? there's an excellent recipe for them in The Garden of Vegan. i too wasn't a huge fan of eggs (i hated the aftertaste that lasted for hours) but i did really miss omlettes when i went vegan. i was super excited to find the recipe. if anyone wants to try that one just let me know and i'll post it.
I've made eggless egg salad with tofu once before, it was great! The texture and taste was so similar to one of my favorite sandwiches, but I've never made the omlette with tofu-
Please post this, I would love to try it!

mattd
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I've made eggless egg salad with tofu once before, it was great! The texture and taste was so similar to one of my favorite sandwiches, but I've never made the omlette with tofu-
Please post this, I would love to try it!

ok, i don't have the recipe with me but i've made it enough that i've gotten pretty good at just winging it. if the tast (or texture) isn't what you want feel free to experiment. here goes:

1/2 block of firm tofu
soy sauce to taste (i use ~1tbps)
corriander to taste
cumin to taste
tumeric to taste
any other spices you might like to taste
enough grated vegan cheese to cover half the omlette
veggies for filling, i usually use the following:
mushrooms
onions
bell pepper
tomato
spinach

in a bowl, mash the tofu alot with the soy sauce (to where it's close to the consistancy of scrambled eggs). mix in all of your spices (don't be shy with them, i've found that i use alot). heat a little oil in a 12 inch frying pan. mash the tofu down on the pan so that form sort of a tofu "disk" (it should cover alot if not all of the pan). let it fry until the bottom starts to brown and sear. add your cheese to half the "disk" and let that melt a little bit, then add the rest of your toppings to the half (if you use mushrooms and onion be sure to fry them up first in a seperate pan, or else the be pretty much raw inside the omlette. flip the half that doesn't have toppings on it over top the half that does. reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for a couple minutes. enjoy!!!

Steph
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
thanks mattd!
i'm going to make this this weekend :)

veganbuzzcock
Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:26 AM
my non-vegan friend was questioning me about vegan alternatives today. he asked me how to make vegan omelettes. i can't think of how you would do that, but i'm convinced there has to be a way! so, i was wondering: does anyone know how to make vegan omelettes? thanks!

Jane M
Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:11 AM
I saw a recipe once....let me see if I can find it again. It was a lot like scrambled tofu.