PDA

View Full Version : Blood Type Diet

Pages : [1] 2 3

gertvegan
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Some of you may have or probably will come across somebody on the "blood type diet" as sold by Peter J. D'Adamo, ND, a naturopathic physician, in his book "Eat Right for Your Type". In which he says those with blood type 0 should not be veg*n.

So here are a few links to prove the guy is wrong. The links were posted on vegfamily previously.

Vegsource (http://www.vegsource.com/articles/blood_hype.htm)

Earthsave (http://www.earthsave.org/news/bloodtyp.htm)

Consumer guide (http://www.cg-diet-reviews.com/archives/000013.html)

Webmd (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/11/1671_50888)

The PCRM also don't rate his books, see here. (http://www.pcrm.org/news/health021230report.html) :)

NB To see what blood group vegan forum members are, see the What's your blood group? thread, http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141

Artichoke47
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I always thought this "diet" was a crock, but let's face it: some veg*ns want an excuse to go back to eating animals' bodies and secretions. This was wonderful news for those lack-of-will people.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:32 PM
The blood type diet premise is as silly and preposterous as having a special diet for people whose eyes are different colors or shapes even... :)

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:23 PM
i dont even know my blood type lol

Gorilla
Sep 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Well i am blood type B which should also apparently eat meat according to the website. 12 years and counting, and i haven't dropped dead yet...!!!

Kiva Dancer
Sep 16th, 2004, 09:34 PM
The blood type diet premise is as silly and preposterous as having a special diet for people whose eyes are different colors or shapes even... :) My feelings exactly!

Gorilla
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:18 PM
in the latest issue of the Ecologist, there are a couple of letters responding to an article they ran in a previous issue, discussing the pros and cons of eating meat.

one of the letters is from somebody claiming they were vegetarian for five years, during which time their health steadily deteriorated, despite the fact that they were eating all the recommended nutrients. this person went to their doctor who apparently believes in the blood type diet, and who said that certain people just can't survive without meat because of their blood type. this person now eats meat again with no apparent health problems, guilt or worries about the problems associated with meat consumption. :rolleyes:

the author of this letter doesn't say what their health problems were, but IMHO as Jed Gillen says in Obligate Carnivore, even *if* it were proven that a veg*n diet causes a slight deterioration in health, it would still be a small price to pay in exchange for the animals' lives, reduction in their suffering, the environmental benefits etc.

gertvegan
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:28 PM
the author of this letter doesn't say what their health problems were.

I used to get that on a non vegan forum. When someone posted that they were thinking of becoming veg*n, one particular person would always say that not everyone was suited to a veg*n diet. When I asked why they quoted the blood type diet. So I posted the links. The same situation happened again. So I asked if they were refering to the blood type diet once more and all I received was a "no", no further explantion. It has happened since.

feline01
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I went to my local health food store last night and even though the owners are a really nice couple. they started telling me how they eat based on the blood-type diet and they are raising their 11-month old daughter to eat based on that as well. I really was not into a debate with them but it just sounded so moronic. I'm O as well, shouldn't be veg*n but it's been going on 8 years now....

chakra
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:03 PM
This guy makes Professor Arnold Ehret's "Mucousless Diet" seem reasonable.

Actually, strange looking as he was, the Mucousless diet did make more sense. Just didn't go quite far enough!

ridgerunner
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I follow the "Eat right for your hair color" diet. I used to eat brown food but have recently switched to gray.

feline01
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I follow the "Eat right for your hair color" diet. I used to eat brown food but have recently switched to gray.

HAHAHA :D

phillip888
Mar 4th, 2005, 09:49 PM
O wow. Apparently the guy who wrote the blood based diet claims that the human body produces iodine (read the earthsave article on this). That in itself is a huge indicator that he is NOT a scientists, and doesn't even understand the basics of science. Iodine is an element, it can not be created by any biological process... I'm guessing he's a cog for the animal slavery industry.

BTW I learned about iodine and other elements when I was 11. Are people reading this book really that ignorant about such simple aspects of their world?..

VeganJohn
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I found this startling piece on a website:

http://www.hippy.com/php/article-83.html

Mad or what??

:confused:

RedWellies
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I heard something similar the other day. Think I'm going to die soon then...

gertvegan
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:06 PM
What's your blood group? See here. (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141) :)

akaredarcher
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'm A+. This wacko 'doctor' would 'allow' me to be vegan. :rolleyes:
Yay!

Diana
akaredarcher

kriz
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:00 PM
in the latest issue of the Ecologist, there are a couple of letters responding to an article they ran in a previous issue, discussing the pros and cons of eating meat.

one of the letters is from somebody claiming they were vegetarian for five years, during which time their health steadily deteriorated, despite the fact that they were eating all the recommended nutrients. this person went to their doctor who apparently believes in the blood type diet, and who said that certain people just can't survive without meat because of their blood type. this person now eats meat again with no apparent health problems, guilt or worries about the problems associated with meat consumption. :rolleyes:

I've seen this one many times before - my friend went vegan for 2 weeks convinced this was the diet he wanted to follow. Surprisingly, he didn't find it too hard...until a doctor told him that Atkins is much better for his medical condition!:eek: :rolleyes:.

Jane M
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Just checked Gertvegans link...seems the majority who responded are type O. Interesting seeing as I am type O and got told by my natrupath (ok, I can't spell) to start eating meat. She's a strong believer in eating for your blood type. I tried to do as she said but just got really sick. I had to quit going to her. Now I eat vegan and feel great!

I suppose there has to be a new diet 'discovery' now and then to keep things interesting. Still I have found what works for me and see no reason to mess with something that works.

Gorilla
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I found this startling piece on a website:

http://www.hippy.com/php/article-83.html

Mad or what??

:confused:
looking at that website, i see the question is from someone who apparently believes she nearly died from not eating meat. she says herself that she started feeling ill when she caught 'Epstein-Barr virus followed by the resulting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.' as far as i know these illnesses aren't caused by being vegetarian!! :rolleyes:

KarmaGirl
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Hmmm...I'm O-. I guess I should be dead.

Funny, meat makes me sick. How can that be? ;)

DancingWillow
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM
This weekend my mom and I made a very tasty vegan pizza from scratch, but when we were ready to eat it, my mom topped her piece with cheese :( I asked why won't she even try the pizza vegan before she puts cheese on it, and she said that she already knows she'll feel like something's missing, so there's no point.

Then we got into a discussion about veganism, and my mom started talking about nutrition books that say each blood type needs different nutrition. She used this to justify my sister's meat-eating, saying that because of her blood type (O), her body needed it and craved it. She even gave my sister a book about nutrition for her blood type, so I'm afraid that my sister will start eating even more meat.

Actually, lately, my sister was on an almost vegan diet and ate only very little meat and dairy. I was so happy and she kept telling me how great she feels and how healthy she is. She was even asking me about vegan nutrition and other stuff about veganism! And now, with my mom's book, she'll probably slip back to her old ways of eating lots and lots of meat.

Has anybody heard anything about nutrition based on one's blood type? I want to provide my mom with reliable scietific sources showing that meat is NOT necessary and actually causes serious health problems no matter what your blood type is.

j&k
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Check out Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. Dr. Fuhrman is a medical doctor, who I believe to be the foremost expert on nutrition out there. In his book, he devotes 7 or 8 pages exclusively to the Eat Right for Your Type diet. He goes through every study that has ever discussed blood type and diet. HE has done his research, and ultimately comes to the conclusion there is not any scientific basis for the diet. The whole book is fabulous.

Best,
Josh

whats-her-name
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Funny, my blood type is A :P

I don't believe in this, it's like there are only 4 ways of eating and it depends only on the blood type. ha. ha.

My husband was vegetarian for 20 years also, and he found out he has to eat beef, buffalo, and venison to get healthier.
awesome, i'll try buffalo, it'll save me from death, it's a iracle :eek:

:rolleyes:

aubergine
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
The Food Revolution also has some excellent information that debunks this nonsense diet.