PDA

View Full Version : Teetotal, no alcohol - support

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Antonia
Jul 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
ive been teetotal for 3 years now...... i did it bcos one side of my family are alcoholics and one person in particular.....alcohol in moderation, i have no problem with. but i dont see the point in changing your personality when u go out to have a good time.. love who u r, and have the confidence to go out and have fun without having to induce it with alcohol.
:) prilly xxx
First of all, congrats! Secondly, I couldn't agree more. My mum was an alchi throughout my teenage years, and it was tough. Certainly when it came to bringing bf's home. I figured if they loved me enough the'd put up with it. It was also nice that they new what was going on, so I had their support. My brother went the opposite way and never bought anyone home, subsequently he's got fewer people to talk to about it.

The best times I've had out (parties etc) have been when I wasn't drinking. It's great when you can get high on the energy and having a good time. It does take confidence though. Especially if you're already not participating in the BBQ/snacks etc.

Antonia
Jul 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM
...If one group of friends were doing an activity, and one group were going to the pub, I'd always opt to go with the doing something option....
Snap, Antonia, sun-bathing is my little vice too. Well, we all need some lovely Vitamin D.
snap, snap, snap! Sunbathing rocks! I find it acts as an appetite supressant too, and it's just as fulfilling as comfort eating/drinking has ever been. I believe that as long as you don't over do it or burn there's no harm done.

I too prefer to do something other than just go to the pub. A nice pub garden isn't so bad though.

Antonia
Jul 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM
It can be tough to be a teetotaler in a culture that is so pro-alcohol.

or vegan in a society that's pro-meat... I think it gets easier with time. I'm 6 months vegan and it feels like I always have been now. It's a lot easier, and I'm a lot more confident about being vegan in a meat-eating society. Since I started this thread about 3 weeks ago my tee-total confidence has grown hugely. It's been tough though. Like when I told my dad and he seemed to think that you HAVE to drink some alcohol (in moderation) and sarcasticly responded with 'do you still drink water'? That hurt, because not drinking is nothing but good for me and I thought he'd be happy that I'm being proactive about my health and doing what I want and what's important to me.

VeganJohn
Jul 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I know what it's like if you are not a big drinker and get pressured to 'get wasted' by friends or people you are out with. I like a few drinks on a Friday night but try and avoid situations and people that expect you to drink lots of alcohol just for the sake of it. I sometimes go to the pub with friends during the week and happily sit there sipping an orange. Healthier and a heck of a lot cheaper too :>

Maisiepaisie
Jul 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Being teetotal is pretty mainstream in the vegan community. Recently I went to the AR gathering with several friends and there were more of us not drinking than those who were. I rarely drink but I did on that occasion as I needed the confidence to ask someone out :o

VeganJohn
Jul 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Dutch courage indeed :)

I never get really drunk anymore, but do like a few social drinks with friends at the weekend. I never drink in the house.

Apple_Blossem
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:46 PM
-I did read a medical site that said red wine is healthy - but it went on to say that if you can eat red grapes, then that's even better because you arent eating something fermented.

Also, it is very VERY easy to identify those who drink alcohol because their body odor and perspiration smell like toxins. If your perspiration smells like you are unhealthy, then this is probably a warning sign that you are poisoning yourself in trace amounts. Also, people who drink a little alcohol on weekends are easy to spot - their skin and complexion look aged and dehydrated. You'll notice small premature creases in the skin -- almost like someone who has spent several years using sun lamps.

Also, why would people vomit up alcohol if they have drank too much of it? We don't vomit up candy (and this is unhealthy!) when we've eaten too much ...or potatos... or even milk! For someone to vomit something up -- that is the body's natural response to a poison that the body quickly recognizes is a toxic.

Search for "Alcohol and liver damage" -- and read the results. You are putting only a few drops of poison into your system (beers, etc) every few weeks. Although you wont notice the different now, you will after years of this treatment on the body.

Here is some info I found on medical sights:

-Can "social drinkers" get alcoholic hepatitis?
Yes. Alcoholic hepatitis occurs in people who are not alcoholics. People vary greatly in the way their liver reacts to alcohol.

-Alcohol has a dehydrating effect, and the traditional hangover arrives partly as a result.

There is probably a lot more if you dig for it. :)

Apple_Blossem
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
COOL EXPERIMENT - Watch how Alcohol damages body cells

I also did an experiment where I cooked an egg white with only strong alcohol.

I did this for fun ...and some of you might find it fun to do as well just to see the results. I found it on a medical website. It was to show why there is a higher risk of cancer of the mouth and esophagus for people who consume alcohol. Because cancer is mutated/damaged cells, this experiment shows why:

Buy stronger alcohol for faster results. I used 45%, but for even cooler results, buy high as you can get. Then crack open an egg in a bowl and pour in a half cup or cup of alcohol...enough so that it covers the egg white. Don't break the yolk! Within minutes, the egg white will start turning from clear to a white-ish - and you can see how alcohol damages the body's cells.

Of course, most people on this forum are not considering drinking 180 proof or 90 proof. However, with low doses of alcohol being continually poured over the extremely delicate cells of the body, I would not consider a healthy practice -- and I dont care IF medical people condone it -- they also say that it's fine to eat meat & dairy (which raises the risk of Osteoporosis by 90%, heart disease by 80% and various cancers by 60%)... and they also say it's fine to drink diet sodas that contain Aspartame (which is known for causing 92 different health problems and diseases - and which is the cause of 80% of all health-related complaints in the US).

So, do this experiment and then decide for yourself - because only then you can make a well-informed decision :) :).

Good luck! :)

Pilaf
Jul 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
how about marihuana and straight edge? probably not "allowed" but i dont see how it could be more bad/harmful than caffeine. and if the point of sXe is to not alter the mental state of mind as earlier mentioned, then its more of a religion i suppose...?
is marihuana "allowed" in veganism? it seems like a natural environmental substance, and animal friendly i think?
i have heard that tobacco and alcohol is worse than marihuana so im just thinking about it..
so which is "worse"?

Adherents to Straight Edge use no recreational drugs. This is a clear cut part of the lifestyle, with no room for interpretation. We simply have no use for it.

Of course, most sXe adherents, myself included, are far left liberals and support legalization of cannabis for its many practical uses, and for those people who do want to smoke it in their own homes.

edit: Also, you seem to be a little bit confused about the nature of the Straight Edge lifestyle. It is no organization, and these are not rules. These are simply principles we live by. Many adherents to sXe already had these personal lifestyle values before claiming the title. The title/label is simply beneficial in identifying with others who live the same lifestyle. It's especially useful online, or in the indie music scene, where it's more popularly heard of. It began in Washington DC in the late seventies and early eighties, in hardcore and punk music, but has since spread as a label and a valid lifestyle all over the world. Some kids get into it because it's popular, but they usually don't last. The long term adherents to sXe already had the values before claiming, and simply find the title convenient. I am one of these latter, long term adherents, having claimed at the age of 12. I will be 22 in September, and there's no end in sight for my adherence.

So I think that makes me any better than anyone else? Absolutely not. Am I happy with my life and content with who I am? Absolutely. I'm proud of myself and happy with my lifestyle.

berta_the_aspie
Jul 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM
ehem. i KNOW what sXe is. i know sXe ppl dont smoke weed. im just trying to find some logic. within the logic.
i never said i had use for marihuana either. oh kool im 22 also, and i went to my first party 10 years ago, but i never even tried any of the stuff i was offered, just didnt get the point of it.

Haniska
Jul 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Buy stronger alcohol for faster results. I used 45%, but for even cooler results, buy high as you can get. Then crack open an egg in a bowl and pour in a half cup or cup of alcohol...enough so that it covers the egg white. Don't break the yolk! Within minutes, the egg white will start turning from clear to a white-ish - and you can see how alcohol damages the body's cells.

Of course, most people on this forum are not considering drinking 180 proof or 90 proof.

Most people on this forum and not considering stealing eggs for experiments.

Pilaf
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
ehem. i KNOW what sXe is. i know sXe ppl dont smoke weed. im just trying to find some logic. within the logic.

How is it anything but logical for sXe adherents not to smoke weed? Where is the lack of logic? Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't get what you're asking.

zastoi
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Mr Flibble
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Most people on this forum and not considering stealing eggs for experiments.

Or for that matter waste large amounts of spirits!!

zastoi
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM

friend
Jul 29th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Antonia, good luck. It will surely be a good move.Check out any website that comes up when you Google ISLAM AND ALCOHOL...the Muslims are utterly against it's consumption, which, when you see the damage it causes in society, i thoroughly agree with.Best of luck..Friend

cookey
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Also adding my name to the list. I haven't drunk for something like 15 years. I stopped when I was about 18 after a few years of drinking and probably not long after my first proper hang over! I drank as a one off a couple of years later to see what I was missing and felt awful!
I tried to assess which drugs I could do that would feel the best and make me feel the least worst. I then spent years abusing my poor body and mind with them. Now I haven't taken anything for a few years and can honestly say I feel much happier. I feel it's a shame I wasted so much time and effort devoting myself to that lifestyle.
This doesn't mean I don't enjoy myself, quite the opposite. There are so many things to see and enjoy in life. If we restrict ourselves with drugs and alcohol it sems to limit this experience.
I also saw a talk by Patrick Holford "Natural Highs" and read his book of the same name. It explains what different drugs do to your brain and body and includes things like caffeine and sugar as well. Well worth a read.
It convinced me that drugs were never going to make me happy, somethng I had susupected all along!

treehugga
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Antonia
I gave up alcohol 7 years ago (I was never a huge drinker) due to migraine.
I don't miss it, but struggle socially if I attend parties etc where everyone is drinking.
I feel like I'm a bit boring sometimes and some people make an issue of it, similar to when you explain you don't eat meat.
Health wise I feel pretty good- drink lots of green and rooibos tea and water.
My hubby doesn't drink either which is great.

RachelJune
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I used to drink quite a lot and made the decision around a year ago to give up alcohol completely. I never particularly liked the taste, nor the way it made me feel/behave.

I very rarely drink nowadays. In fact I might indulge in a small drink maybe once a month at the most, in social situations. However, I find I feel so much better and healthier when I'm off the alcohol completely :D

Antonia
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Antonia, good luck. It will surely be a good move.Check out any website that comes up when you Google ISLAM AND ALCOHOL...the Muslims are utterly against it's consumption, which, when you see the damage it causes in society, i thoroughly agree with.Best of luck..Friend
Thanks a fantastic idea... looking up religious views and information on alcohol. Didn't think of that. Cheers :-)

Antonia
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Antonia
I gave up alcohol 7 years ago (I was never a huge drinker) due to migraine.
I don't miss it, but struggle socially if I attend parties etc where everyone is drinking.
I feel like I'm a bit boring sometimes and some people make an issue of it, similar to when you explain you don't eat meat.
Health wise I feel pretty good- drink lots of green and rooibos tea and water.
My hubby doesn't drink either which is great.
My bf has actually started drinking a bit more since I quit as I drive when we go out now. I'm sure it's just the novelty value. It's interesting how people use alcohol as a crutch. I never needed it at parties, but I've just started a new job which can be quite tiring (taking people with special needs out, alone), and when I come back home, and everyone's having a beer, I can't say it doen't appeal. But once I've made myself a non-alchi cocktail, or some homemade icecream (or something equally as scrumptious) instead I'm ok.

owen
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
I've recently made the decision to stop drinking alcohol. Support is lacking amongst friends etc. I can't even find any good articles or books. Books seem to be about how to give up drink if you're an alcoholic. Articles seem to recommend drinking in moderation.

I am gradually refining my lifestyle and diet and want to be the best person that I can, which includes doing the best I can for my health and spirituality.

I would love to hear from any other non-drinkers about their experiences, any advice they might have and any suggestions for where to look for more information, particularly about the negative effects of alcohol.

Hi Antonia, all, [really sorry this is so long, my "suggestions" are books and they're at the end, and I've put bold on what might be the most useful :) ]

I'm just passing through as the result of a google that landed a link to this thread. Interesting topic and I see that some people on here have experience of the problems that alcohol can bring.

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been vegetarian for nearly 25 years and earlier this year I changed my diet to very-nearly vegan (1 pint of cow's milk a week). I'm vegetarian on principle and vegan for what amounts to health reasons. In practical terms this means that I never eat animals but I wouldn't freak out if someone offered me a cup of tea with cow's milk in it.

Where to look for stuff about the negative effects of alcohol? For me, that used to be the mirror :rolleyes: .

If your interested, a bit about the problem of drinking alcohol compulsively: Some of us are born to alcoholism and some of us train for it. I am the latter sort. If you drink enough of the stuff for long enough you'll become addicted. No one can ever see the line where they go from "social drinker" to "alcoholic". Some people can remain "heavy drinkers" all their life and never become addicted; others can become alcoholic on piddling amounts. You have no way of knowing what sort of person you are. None of us planned "alcoholic" as a career choice. Once you've become an alcoholic, even if we stop drinking, we can never drink "normally" again. Ever. Not even once. Or the whole insanity starts again sooner or later -- this is often very hard to accept.

There are many metaphors and descriptions of this condition. One might be interesting for your thoughts about why abstain from alcohol -- because it highlights the similarities between alcoholic drinking and social drinking -- people usually look for differences. The trap of alcohol addiction is a bit like the trap mechanism of pitcher plant. The fly lands on the plant at the top, it's a very gentle slope at first and the plant offers lovely, sweet nectar. The fly feeds and follows the slope downwards not noticing the little hairs on the plant that don't allow the fly to walk backwards. The slope gradually gets steeper and steeper and eventually the fly sees the digestive liquid at the bottom of the pitcher with the dead bodies of other flies. Danger! If the fly tries to escape now it suddenly discovers that it is too full of sticky nectar and it can't simply fly away to safety. By this stage, the fly is doomed.

If we drink alcohol we are all somewhere on that slope of the pitcher plant. There seems little danger at the top, and by the bottom it's too late. It's really hard to equate taking a little drink every now and then with the drinking of a wino with pissy trousers on a park bench, or a woman who wakes with yet another stranger beside her and no memory of the night before -- but no one starts like that. I was an alcoholic with a professional job, never missed a mortgage payment or a day's work, and every evening I couldn't control my drinking. Things are better now.

Anyhoos, some books that might be of interest:

Jamie Mullaney, Everyone Is Not Doing It -- all about abstinence and personal identity e.g. vegan, virgin, or teetotal. Basically how we can form identity by some of the things we don't do! Among other things it deals with the whole business of disclosure: strategies we use when we mention our abstinences to other people. Fascinating reading I thought.

Caroline Knapp, Drinking: a love story -- one of the things you realise as an alcoholic is that no one who isn't can ever really understand what it's like. May it always be so. But Caroline's book is, for me, one of the best descriptions of what it's like and it's very well-written. She was a smart lady with a good job; not a wino. If you want negative effects of alcohol, the emotional, the social, as well as the physical, then this is a fantastic book.

Living Sober -- this is published by Alcoholics Anonymous but you'll get it on Amazon. Why mention it? Because it's got a fair bit of practical advice about how to deal with people who can't seem to get their heads around the fact that we don't drink alcohol! Just change that to "don't eat animal products" and you've got some great transferable skills! The focus of the book though is aimed at us alcoholics so it might not make a lot of sense if that's not your problem. People might be interested for googling for the free online version. (Incidentally, I'm not sober with AA; their method doesn't work for me but this book is nice for me because it's practical and doesn't include the AA spiritual stuff).

Long post, sorry. The condensed version:

It really doesn't matter if one never drinks alcohol again.

Hope every one is well,

Owen

Antonia
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks Owen, I've added 'Everyone is Not Doing It' to my amazon wishlist. It look like it offers an interesting and collective approach to several factors of my lifestyle.. sober, vegan, non-smoker...

I'll look out for the AA stuff too. It's been 2 months now, and at times it has been a little tough. Mainly due to peoples reactions.

Good luck on your abstinence and congrats on your journey so far :-)

eclectic_one
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
I'm another teetotaling vegan:D

Poison Ivy
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
I'm another teetotaling vegan:D

...and another one here:)