PDA

View Full Version : Vegan food for celebrations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Roxy
Dec 6th, 2005, 06:41 PM
We will be going out for Christmas Day brunch this year. It will just be the 2 of us, as we have no other family in town to celebrate with.

There won't be any desserts I can eat at the restaurant, but that's okay - I have my vegan Christmas pudding and vegan custard I can have when I com home.

Mystic
Dec 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I will make dhal for christmas. My boyfriend's family is of Burmese descent, so their Christmas lunch involves (as well as a dead turkey carcass), curries and rice.
They have Christmas pudding with custard for dessert, so I am bringing vegan vanilla custard (I hate Brandy custard anyway), with this (http://www.isabelscakes.com.au/page10.html) vegan date and walnut mini cake. I wanted to bring a whole vegan stickydate cake, but the whole thing costs $70. Damn not being able to buy cheap vegan cake. A whole cake is generally at LEAST $40, but my mini date cake is $3.70

Cherry
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
the whole thing costs $70. Damn not being able to buy cheap vegan cake

$70 sounds like a lot to me, but I haven't the foggiest idea what the exchange rate is!! Anyway, maybe someone has a good recipe for sticky date cake? Then you could eat as many as you like. :D

Mr Flibble
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:25 PM
maybe someone has a good recipe for sticky date cake? Then you could eat as many as you like. :D

I tried this one (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganDesserts/sticky%20toffee%20pudding.htm) a couple of years ago and got good results with it ;)

Mystic
Dec 15th, 2005, 11:25 PM
$70 sounds like a lot to me, but I haven't the foggiest idea what the exchange rate is!! Anyway, maybe someone has a good recipe for sticky date cake? Then you could eat as many as you like. :D

70.00 AUD Australia Dollars = 29.6373 GBP United Kingdom Pounds

Oh and I can't bake :D :p :D

Cherry
Dec 16th, 2005, 12:55 AM
I tried this one (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/VeganDesserts/sticky%20toffee%20pudding.htm) a couple of years ago and got good results with it ;)

:D

Good ;) That's not quite what I was thinking of a sticky date cake being like though! I was imagining a big sticky ball of practically nothing but dates :D I think it's Queen Medjool. She has that effect :)

£29.63 (and a bit!) is pretty expensive for a cake! It would have to be a pretty special cake!

Oh and I can't bake You'll just have to find someone who can and convince them that making you cake is a good idea. They could make some money while they're at it :)

catmogg
Dec 17th, 2005, 06:36 PM
This year I will be eating Christmas dinner with my parents and my granny (as I have done every Christmas bar one, I think), and our traditional dinner varies very little from one year to the next. I expect it to be something like:

Chestnut roast en croute (this is really walnut roast, but we switched the quantity to more chestnuts than walnuts because it was too rich)
Chestnut stew (burning our fingers to peel the chestnuts is an annual tradition :) )
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips, butternut squash, possibly other little squash like patty pans, depending on what my mother has grown on the allotment this year
green beans, peas, carrots and brussels sprouts
gravy
homemade cranberry sauce
christmas pudding (this may or may not be vegan - sometimes I get a seperate one, and sometimes they don't bother because I'm not a huge pud fan.)
Mince pies

I'm looking forward to it :)

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, love the menu. Can I come round Twink??:) :) :)

catmogg
Dec 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I can't get enough MASH. I love love love it. Mustard mash, mash with gravy, vegan bangers and mash and gravy...then bubble and squeak the next day. It feels very festive so I'm eating it all the time! Yummmmmmmmmmmm. I'll probably be round a friends on Crimbo day, so im not sure what i'll get foodwise but as long as there's mash i don't think i'll care!:) Yummmm.

BTW, Anyone got a recipie for apple sauce, i'm thinking it'll go lovely with mash!!:) :) :) :p

Mystic
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
:D

Good ;) That's not quite what I was thinking of a sticky date cake being like though! I was imagining a big sticky ball of practically nothing but dates :D I think it's Queen Medjool. She has that effect :)

LOL :D

Tigerlily
Dec 17th, 2005, 10:22 PM
You might be able to find a sticky date cake recipe searching on raw recipe sites. They are always making cakes and puddings from dried fruits.

JustMe
Dec 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM
BTW, Anyone got a recipie for apple sauce, i'm thinking it'll go lovely with mash!!:) :) :) :p
Bramley apples, as many as you think you'll need, more apples then more apple sauce
Unbleached Golden Granulated Sugar (or a mix of this and Demerara)
Lemon Juice
Dairy-free Spread
Water

Peel the apples and cut them into pieces - the size of orange segments is okay or 1/2" cubes. Put each prepared apple into a bowl of water with lemon juice added to stop the apple(s) going brown.
When the apples have been prepared transfer them into a saucepan - one with a glass lid helps with this recipe.
Add a teaspoonful of dairy-free spread, some of the lemony water (not too much, don't drown them), a squeeze of lemon juice and some sugar (start with a teaspoonful for each apple). You can add some spices but we prefer it natural.
Bring the contents of the pan up to a simmer - don't let it boil.
Bramley apples cook quickly so when simmer heat has been reached give the pan a careful shake then turn off the heat and leave it to cool with the lid on. The apples will keep cooking and soften up nicely.
When it's cooled, give everything a gentle stir and adjust the sugar to taste. Chill the apple sauce in the fridge for an hour before serving if you like.

JustMe
Dec 18th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Talking of accompaniments to the festive meal, Tesco have fresh cranberries on sale now. (Yes, I know, supermarkets and all that stuff, but there weren't any fresh cranberries for sale at our local market when I looked on Friday.) The cranberries have a good date on the box and should keep nicely in the fridge until 25 December. Cranberry sauce is very easy to make - there's usually a recipe on the bag or box so just follow this.

peaches22
Dec 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have a tried and true side dish recipe? I need something that my whole family will love, and will make them say, "I'm so sorry I make fun of you for being vegan. This is the best thing I've ever tasted! I want to be vegan." Okay, that was unrealistic, but you get the idea. I'd really appreciate some replies because even if I find a recipe on the internet that sounds good, I have no idea how it will turn out. Thank you. :)

Mystic
Dec 19th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I have changed my mind - instead I am making this rich chocolate cake from PPK (http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=124)

Equipment:
springform pans, 2 good sized bowls, a wisk, saucepan

Ingredients
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purp unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup good cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain soymilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.

Sift together flours and baking powder and baking soda.

In a saucepan, heat the soymilk on low-medium heat. When it is slightly bubbling, add the cocoa powder and wisk well until it is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Combine the other liquid ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Add the cocoa mixture and combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry.

Pour batter into prepared pan, bake at 350 F for 25 minutes until a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean. Let cool completely and frost with your favorite frosting.

I am adding chocolate chips, and I am going to hashahar h'aole parve cocoa spread for the frosting.
I am also going to make white chocolate and macadamia cookies from this (http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/4365.shtml) recipe which I will also post:

Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp.salt
cinnamon to taste (optional)
vegan chocolate or carob chips - put in as many as you like
1 cup raw vegan sugar (turbinado #1, sucanat works too but sucks up a lot of the moisture)
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup water
Directions:
VERY IMPORTANT-make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. It will work if they're not at room temp but it works MUCH better if they are. Also while your oven is pre- heating put the cookie sheets you are going to use on top of the oven so they get preheated as well. Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (if you choose). Add chips. Make a well in the center and set aside.

In a medium size bowl mix vegan sugar and oil. Mix it well. Add the vanilla and then add the water. Mix it well. Add the wet to the well in the dry. Mix it well but be careful not to overwork it. Add more chips if you need to. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Put them in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes and then flip and rotate the sheets.(top to bottom,and 180 degree rotation) Bake another 4 minutes and check them.

The cookies are done when they seem a little bit softer then you want them to be. They will harden up some as they cool. I usually go in two minute increments from here untill they get to where I like them.

Take them out when they are done and move them to wire cooling racks. If they split or come apart when you try to remove them let them sit on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring them to the racks.

These cookies have come a long way, lots of time and tasting spent on getting them to where they are now. Vegans and non vegans LOVE them. In the words of my 6 year old son- "Mom, you're the greatest because you know how to make the best cookies." Enjoy and let me know if you have questions. Sweet travels.

Serves: almost two dozen

Preparation time: 15 mins?-10 to 12 cooking time

Jane M
Dec 20th, 2005, 12:26 AM
One of my favorite sides is Asparagus w/Hazelnuts. It is really simple and easy, and not too many ingredients...big plus for me. Just clean and toss asparagus with some olive oil. Arrange on a cookie sheet, grate some pepper on top, sprinkle with salt (or not) and throw in the oven for about 10 minutes or until done enough to suit you. (I like my veggies with some crunch left in them though.) If your lucky enough to have an indoor grill that works nicely too...I don't but I dream. While the aspargus is cooking toast some chopped hazelnuts in a small fry pan and set aside. Arrange the aspagus on a serving plate and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Also, works with fresh green beans.

Mystic
Dec 21st, 2005, 02:23 AM
I made those cookies last night. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too sugary. I think it needs more flour instead of sugar. Does anyone have a recipe for good choc chip cookies???

foxytina_69
Dec 21st, 2005, 02:50 AM
peaches, try this side dish:

http://www.pakupaku.info/thanksgiving/candied_carrots.shtml

theyre delicious and buttery and yummy. something everyone will love. only use 1/8 cup of vegan margarine though. the 1/4 cup is too much i find.

queen medjool, i posted a recipe a while ago. theyre DELISH. heres the recipe:

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2256

nmvegan
Dec 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM
One of my favorite sides is Asparagus w/Hazelnuts. It is really simple and easy, and not too many ingredients...big plus for me. Just clean and toss asparagus with some olive oil. Arrange on a cookie sheet, grate some pepper on top, sprinkle with salt (or not) and throw in the oven for about 10 minutes or until done enough to suit you. (I like my veggies with some crunch left in them though.) If your lucky enough to have an indoor grill that works nicely too...I don't but I dream. While the aspargus is cooking toast some chopped hazelnuts in a small fry pan and set aside. Arrange the aspagus on a serving plate and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Also, works with fresh green beans.

This sounds REALLLLLY good...I might just try this one! I wonder what other veggies would work besides asparagus....
Thanks!

Roxy
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Is anyone planning a special vegan dinner for Easter this year?

Kiran
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Is anyone planning a special vegan dinner for Easter this year?

Yeah I am. With mainly Indian curries and starters. Also gonna try a couple of new chinese thingies I have learnt. Whatever I do with Chinese, they all look like Stir-frys.

Might probably invite Kevster over (I am sure he will be glad to acknowledge).

Antonia
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I wasn't planning a special dinner. But seeing your post Roxy has reminded me that my mum has decided her and my nan are coming to visit me over Easter. Omnies through and through. I might think about a little something snacky and see if they'll come in the afternoon. I'm a fairly new vegan and feel I still need to show them I have plenty to eat and that vegan food is not as boring as they might think. Other than that... I've been looking forward to a vegan Easter egg for weeks now :)

DianeVegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM
We're visiting the inlaws and they are always up for a vegan meal (thank goodness).

I'll be making the mock ham from the bryannaclarkgrogan (http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com) website, roasted asparagus with balsalmic glaze and steamed new potatoes with parsley or mint.

I'll make a big salad to start and we'll purchase bread (no inlaw meal is complete without it).

VeganJohn
Apr 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Can't seem to find the actual recipe for the mock ham on Bryanna's site, just a picture of it :confused:

DianeVegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM
VeganJohn, she may have changed the website. I just pm'd the recipe to you since I couldn't find it on her site either.

Udate - I just found the recipe. It's in the free archives. Archive #6, April 5, 2004.

Roxy
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I'm going to be cooking a Tofurkey dinner and I'm going to do some roasted vegetables, using a recipe from La Dolce Vegan, although I'm not sure which recipe I'll use yet. There's one involving mollases, which sounds particularly yummy.

For dessert, I'm going to make a vegan chocolate cake, which we might enjoy with some vegan icecream, or maybe just by itself.

There will also be some wine :)