PDA

View Full Version : Vegan food for celebrations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

speedylemons
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I told my mom i wasn't going to thanksgiving this year.. i'm all for being thankful and whatnot but i just don't feel like putting up with all the smells and nonvegan foods people will be pigging out on.. and then there are the stares and stupid questions about what i don't eat and why etc etc. christmas is enough to deal with and i dont really even agree with the celebration of either of them. ugh. so yeah, i'm not doing anything on thanksgiving.. other than some homework. maybe i'll make myself a nice little dinner. ha.

Annie
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I believe we're having Thanksgiving at our house this year. I really want to cook up some cookies and atleast one vegan dish for everyone (not sure what that'll be yet...any ideas would be awesome!)

This will be my first holiday as a vegan and I'm not really looking forward to watching people chow down on meat, gravy and sausage stuffing...

howdawg
Nov 5th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Thanksgiving... It's actually starting to bum me out a bit. I have a rather large family, and everyone gets together at my parents house for Thanksgiving. Normally, I am out of town for this event... I think the last time I was here for it was three or four years ago...

So this year, I will be in town, but I have decided not to attend. If you have read some of my previous posts, you know that I do not like to be around other people who are eating meat. I will not go to restaurants where people will be eating meat around me, and I will not even sit down for a meal at a wedding, etc where others are eating meats..

I'm just not quite sure what I'm going to do. I will probably stop by and say hello to everyone, but there will be appetizers rounding the entire time, and the amount of meat that will be served at this event is dispicable. There will probably be around fourty people or soo.. Everyone a meat eater, and after it's all said and done, everyone will be fat and tired, and there will be enough left-overs to do the whole thing again.

I think I'm just writing this to complain a bit, I don't really have much of a point... But if you live in Ohio or Pennsylvania, and need an extra vegan guest for a vegan Thanksgiving, I'm a perfect cantidate :)...(My resume is attatched lol!)

I hope all of you who are planning a vegan Thanksgiving have a wonderful time. Happy holidays to you all, and let's hope the suffering of animals is less this year than it was in the years before.... and BTW... What will you be giving thanks for this year?

Haniska
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM
I put in for the week of Thanksgiving off. My manager said she would get to it later, and later wrote a kind of rude note on the fridge at work about how we shouldn't be so ridiculous as to expect to have the holidays off. I think that she realized that she would have to cover me or else find someone to work on their day off.
It might have been kind of weird anyway, as my father and I were going up for deer season...
I was telling my manager this, and she said "Oh I know what you mean. I went to a friend's house for thanksgiving and we had to wait for them to get done killing things before we could eat."
I didn't ask what they had on the table.
Btw: I told my dad all this and he cried he laughed so hard. Then we had a conversation about how messed up factory farming is.

Oh, so, probably working Thanksgiving, and since my fiance is problem going to his hometown I will probably have a bad thanksgiving.

Roxy
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
We already had our Thanksgiving last month. I worked that day and got so sick of having people ask "When are you having your turkey dinner" :mad:

For dinner, we went to relative's place and they always make sure to have vegan everything for me to eat! I still sat down at a table with people eating meat, but we also indulged in lots of vegan goodies and I even brought the Soyatoo cream to have with desert.

foxytina_69
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
yum that sounds nice roxy.

we already had ours too. i made nut roast, stuffing, yorkshire pudding, gravy, mashed potatoes, candied carrots, and i think i also made green beans. oh and there was cranberry sauce and i made a chocolate cake too.

Wishin986
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I love thanksgiving! not for the fact that people over stuff themselves w. non-vegan food but because its one of the few times all of my friends are home together during the year besides christmas and summer. we always have our own dinner the night before thanksgiving!

however, this year half my friends are in europe studying abroad so I think the rest of us are going to do a smaller dinner at my friends apartment in providence.. which actually now that I think of it I might be able to pick some stuff up at melanies vegan eden! yay! :D

other than that the family one is eh - lots of non-vegan food but theres always veggies and fruit and my mom usually tries to buy and bring a vegan cake. or order me food from our local whole foods. so we shall see. last year i bought tofurkey but didn't realize it needed like a day to defrost soo that didnt really work out on the actual day. ill have to be more prepared this year.

Tigerlily
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:52 PM
So I was thinking about Christmas dinner. My family is Middle Eastern and we make some Middle Eastern foods for our Christmas dinners. One is a "stuffing". It's rice cooked with hamburger meat (with spices, etc). I've been thinking about it lately and I sort of want to eat it again. I think I'll make my own vegan version. Does vegan "hamburger meat" cook the same as regular meat? Or is the cooking time less? The meat is cooked with the rice but since rice takes about 30-40 minutes at least...the vegan meat might be too overcooked by then.

Roxy
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Tigerlily - the vegan ground round is pretty much already pre-cooked and doesn't require much cooking at all. If I use it to make a "meat" sauce for spaghetti, I stir it in just for the last few minutes.

Tigerlily
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Okay, thanks. :)

Roxy
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:31 AM
You're welcome :)

Wildflower
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:25 AM

we already had ours too. i made nut roast, stuffing, yorkshire pudding, gravy, mashed potatoes, candied carrots, and i think i also made green beans. oh and there was cranberry sauce and i made a chocolate cake too.

Foxytina, I am searching for your nut roast recipe and found this thread. Can you point me too it, or post it? :)

I was thinking i would make it for Thanksgiving this year (the american one that is, which is coming on the 23rd).

I have never had a nut roast, but it sounds good. Does it taste like stuffing? I was thinking it may be better than tofurky roast, because noone ever eats that but me, even the years my sister was vegan and my boyfriend was vegetarian - they still wouldn't eat it. I think it tastes great, but I thought i would try something non-turkey oriented for a change.

Wildflower
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:34 AM
oh, as a reply to the actual post -

- Are you making anything? - I plan to make a vegan Coconut-Ginger-Madamia Nut Carrot Cake and probably one other gluten free thing (my mom isn't supposed to have gluten - any ideas Foxytina?) and probably a nut roast.
- Are you eating together with nonvegans? - usually i go to my parents (non vegan) and my sister (used to be vegan, last year wasn't, who knows this year) and my grandmother (not vegan) and my boyfriend (eats mainly vegan, but is technically a fish only omni - he won't be earing turky though).
- Any other celebration activities? - just getting together with family, and eating! I actually really like this holiday because there is no religious stuff or present giving or anything crazy like that. just being thankful, being with friends and eating a great meal. I am taking that week off of work as well as the following Monday.

Haniska
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I came into work the other day and my manager had wrote on the schedule that I had off on Thanksgiving! YAY! She found someone to cover for me Thursday and Sunday and is working on Wednesday and tenatively Tuesday :-D. I called her up and she said that she appreciates all the shifts I cover and all the things that I do for her. Anyway, going to Grandma's for Thanksgiving. THinking about making a nut roast also. I was going to get a tofurky, but things like that are usually more novel than tasty in my book. Would like others to participate as well and I can't imagine my family eating something that is "fake".

Wildflower
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
haniska, I don't know how your family would feel about a pot pie, but I founf this recipe last night and am now seriously thinking of doing a pot pie and a nut roast. there is also a great recipe for wild rice acorn stuffed squash.

Yum, yum, yum! now i want to have my own vegan thanksgiving as well as going to my moms.

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/bryanna_thanksgiving.htm

http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1435893.htm

Haniska
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Thank you wildflower, I think that they would like a pot pie, my mother used to make one all the time. I think that seitan will be better accepted? Nobody likes the idea of tofu, hehe. I have also always wanted to make a stuff squash, how festive! Thanks for reminding me.

Wildflower
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
you could probably get that chicken style seiten made by Whitewave and chop it up into chunks. would probably be very simillar to chicken pot pie.

luvzsunshine
Nov 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm not near my family so I have 2 choices. 1) go to my ex-inlaws (still very close) or 2) to a friend's family dinner. Both of which don't understand or respect that I am vegan and both will make me feel completely guilty if I don't show up. I'd rather just stay home. So you can see why I CAN"T STAND Thanksgiving!!!!

Evez27
Nov 13th, 2006, 11:20 PM

I can't believe you could do all that! That resembles the dishes I am used to and I would love to see some recipes. Are they all here on the site? Thanks Eve

Evez27
Nov 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
"Coconut-Ginger-Madamia Nut Carrot Cake"
This sounds great too. I hope the recipe is here. Has anyone else here tried it or seen it?
Eve

Wildflower
Nov 14th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Sorry, Eve, the recipe is from the cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance, and I am afraid I would feel guilty posting it on the web as the author seems pretty cool. :) But, the cookbook is worth buying just for this recipe, as well as all the other super yummy ones included. www.theppk.com (http://www.theppk.com)

Evez27
Nov 14th, 2006, 05:07 AM
I've found a few recipes for thanksgiving. I am making a carrot cake
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6516
and either this yummy nut loaf http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7406.0
or this Thanksgiving "Meat" Loaf
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7408.0

What do you like better? I love stuffing and I love regular meat loaf.
Eve

Evez27
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Oh yeah definately!!n Thanks fot the link.
Eve

Caleb
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I plan on eating a PB&J before heading to my relative's. If I find anything vegan there, i'll eat it.

Mermaid07
Nov 15th, 2006, 12:57 AM
this is my first thanksgiving as a vegan! The past two years I was a vegetarian. I always go to a family friend's house. The lady took care of me and i have known her since I was three. She seems to be confused about what i can and can't eat. I told her no meat, butter, dairy, eggs. So if they make the mashed potaotes with out any of those thingss. I am scared that something non vegan will be there so I will stick to salad, veggies and bring my own dish for everyone to share. I was thinking maybe a pasta salad. I also want to bring a dessert. Any ideas on desserts that omni;s would love? I am also scared about answering questions about being vegan as I will be around older people who think you NEED meat to be healthy.
Thanks for the help!