PDA

View Full Version : Vegan food for celebrations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

DancingWillow
Nov 15th, 2006, 01:29 AM
this is the first thanksgiving that i won't be spending with my family...i just can't afford it. but, i'll be going home for the winter holidays. i can't wait to see my family and friends! i've missed them so much. and have i mentioned how much i miss the florida weather? ;)

i think i'm going to spend thanksgiving by myself :( my only other option is to spend it with a friend here. she invited me to her family's huge celebration. she's very considerate, so i know that she'll have plenty of vegan stuff for me, but i don't want to deal with looking at a huge turkey in the middle of a table and watching all the people eating it and commenting on how good it is...and not to even mention the smell...ewww

i was thinking of painting my room during the thanksgiving break, since i'd never have the time otherwise. i'm very excited about that!

Wildflower
Nov 15th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I also want to bring a dessert. Any ideas on desserts that omni;s would love?

Apple pie made w/earth balance!

My meat eating family seriously made this a few years ago, for an omni centered dish. My dad thought the earth balance made the pie healthy. He didn't know it made it into a vegan pie and seemed irritated when i told him. :rolleyes: :D

Tigerlily
Nov 15th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I plan on eating a PB&J before heading to my relative's. If I find anything vegan there, i'll eat it.

Maybe you could offer to bring a dish? That way you can veganize it and be able to eat at least one thing. Even something simple like mashed potatoes.

veganpixie
Nov 16th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Is anyone here familiar with a company called Heaven Scent? I bought 3 packages of their organic sage and rosemary stuffing a few years ago and it was the most wonderful tasting stuffing I've ever had, that + the tofurky, and the remainder of my traditional homemade vegan organic meal I always make, wow, it was great! Back to my question before I forget...

Is anyone here familiar with the Heaven Scent organic sage and rosemary stuffing? If so, how do I get to their website? How do I find their stuffing product? I don't mind trying another brand or product, but providing that it's 100% vegan, including no sugar or corn syrup and it's free of additives and chemicals...I'm a healthy vegan and I truly care about what I eat and what I put in my body. I'm in N. Central Florida and all they have here is gross toxic Chatham stuffing, ick, even at Mother Earth, ugh...I called Whole Foods down south in Miami and the grocery guy is gonna see if he can help get some sent to me somehow...like send some priority mail to my po box...it's just so frustrating to not find other healthy good vegan stuffing foods...it's the 21st Century and people are STILL eating meat and toxic laboratory poisonous processed food?! ugh ugh ugh!!! Okay, I just had to get that out...if anyone can help or offer a suggestion, please let me know, thanks.

Seaside
Nov 16th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Is this (http://www.heavenscentnaturalfoods.com/) what you are looking for? There is an email address too: info@heavenscent-foods.com

Soul Rebel
Nov 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Do you have any other stores than Whole Foods? I could have sworn I saw vegan stuffing in our Good Foods Co-op this past week, and I think it was organic too.

Soul Rebel
Nov 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM
"Coconut-Ginger-Madamia Nut Carrot Cake"
This sounds great too. I hope the recipe is here. Has anyone else here tried it or seen it?
Eve

My wife has made that a couple times and it is delicious! I would recommend buying Vegan with a Vengance. It is a great cookbook with tons of good recipes.

My wife, son and I are going to eat at our Good Foods co-op this thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to it just being us this year. :)

veganpixie
Nov 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure if that is the same company, though it appears to be, maybe they changed their packaging and I don't recognize it, but I just learned the painful news from an employee at Whole Foods south of where of we live that the company no longer makes and sells the stuffing any more! :-( *crying* I'm really bummed, this totally sucks! *sigh* I'm trying to find a simple recipe to make my own, but I'm not sure that's gonna be feasible. The company does sell croutons, but the image isn't clickable and I can't get more info, including on how to order it or the ingredients or price, ugh! Okay, thanks for the help.

Tigerlily
Nov 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM
What's wrong with homemade? It's really easy to make... Honestly, using a pre-made package seems sort of silly to me. :confused:

harpy
Nov 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I don't know if it's the sort of thing you're looking for, but there's a sage and onion stuffing recipe on this page that looks so simple even I could probably manage it ;)

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

You could add rosemary.

veganpixie
Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find an easy recipe, though those recipes that may appear to be easy aren't always, but it just occurred to me that what I may need is bread crumbs. So, I'm going to see if I can find some at my local natural food store. Tigerlilly, yes, I agree with pre-packaged being silly vs. homemade, but it just depends on the situation. The sad truth is that I finally spoke with an employee at Whole Foods in Miami, which is where we moved from, and the guy reluctantly broke the bad news that Heaven Scent stopped making and selling the stuffing we enjoyed so much! *sigh* :-( So, we're real bummed about that. Anyway, I'll see what I can find or muster up. Thanks again and have a safe warm nice Thanksgiving Holiday! *hugs* and Peace

GpWp23
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:14 AM
me and all my vegan/vegetarian(and a few not so veggy) friends had our second annual vegan thanksgiving this year. it was so great we each brought a veganized dish inspired from our family thanksgiving. i hope out tradition will carry on for a long time.

fiamma
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM
To make breadcrumbs all you need to do is put some bread in a food processor or blender and voilà you have crumbs! Or use a grater if you don't have a food processor. I'm sure your stuffing will be great veganpixie :)

That's a great link, harpy, thanks for that!

pavotrouge
Nov 30th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I've got to admit I'm not a Christmas/holiday in general person, that's why this year I decided to celebrate only with my best friend.

She's an omni, but has periods in which she eats vegetarian or even vegan (that's the way I started, too), so there won't be a discussion about vegan food.

But I want to cook something special for Xmas, nevertheless.
I'm still thinking about my menu and was wondering what you guys are making.

happy_veg
Dec 1st, 2006, 12:31 PM
hey does anyone have any ideas for a loaf type thing i could make that would go well with vegan gravy, possible cranberry sauce and all the usual veggies for xmas dinner? i didn't want to do a nut roast as im not thaat keen on nuts, i prefer lentils and beans and that kinda thing.
or any other suggestions really...
i just wanted to make something that would go with all the usual xmas extras if you get me, just so i don't annoy the family by ruining their traditional xmas meal by serving curry or something lol

harpy
Dec 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
This is one I've made a few times, though not recently. It came from a leaflet I got in the health food shop yonks ago and the original recipe had eggs in it (in the "outer layers" part); think when I've made it I've just increased the amount of margarine slightly until the mixture sticks together reasonably well. If you do it you might want to have a trial run before Christmas - you could use something cheaper than pine nuts.

Pine Nutmeg Loaf with Herb Stuffing

For the outer layers
Margarine and dried breadcrumbs for lining loaf tin
25g/1oz margarine
1 onion, peeled and chopped
225g/8oz pine nuts or a mixture of pine nuts, almonds and cashews, grated
4 tbsp soy milk
125g/4oz soft white breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg

For the stuffing:
175g/6oz soft brown (or white) breadcrumbs
125g/4oz margarine
grated rind and juice of half a small lemon
0.5 tsp each dried marjoram and dried thyme
4 heaped tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper

Set oven to 189c/350f, gas mark 4. In a greased 450g/1lb loaf
tin [depends on calibration of your tins - some say a 2lb tin is
needed] put a long strip of greaseproof paper to cover the
bottom and the narrow sides (so you can lift the loaf out when
it's cooked). Grease the paper and sprinkle it with the
breadcrumbs (which also help the loaf to turn out cleanly). Melt
margarine in a saucepan, fry the onion until soft, not browned. Now remove
from heat and add all the other ingredients for the outer layers. Season
with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg to taste.

Mix the stuffing ingredients together and season.

To assemble, spoon half the outer layer nut mixture into the tin and smooth
the surface. Mould the stuffing with your hands into a rectangle that will
fit on top. Put that in, then spoon in the rest of the nut mixture. Smooth
the surface again. (You now have a sort of sandwich, with the nut mixture on
the top and bottom and the herb stuffing in the middle.)

Cover with greased foil and cook in the oven for an hour. If the surface
isn't brown enough, cook it for a few more minutes without the foil. Then
leave to stand for 3 or 4 minutes before turning out. Use a knife or spatula
to free the loaf from the side of the tin, then life out gently using the
paper. Peel off the paper and serve decorated wtih a few extra nuts, parsley
or lemon slices.

Wildflower
Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Last year I made a lasagna for christmas eve, and i think I might do the same thing this year. Someone else (non-vegan) who may have been italian said her family does that every year, and I stole the tradition. It is great served with veggies, salad, bread, oils, antipasti, etc.

I can't even remember what we did for christmas day last year...maybe leftovers?

Annie
Dec 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna be with my bf for christmas this year and I really want to make him a nice dinner for christmas eve...but I have no idea what to make =/

Roxy
Dec 4th, 2006, 04:07 AM
We'll be going out on Christmas Day. Hopefully to my boyfriend's cousin's house. They always make sure that there are loads of tasty vegan items for me to eat!

If, for some reason we don't go there, we will go to the Hilton Hotel for their brunch. There are lots of vegan items for me to choose from there.

I just can't be bothered creating a huge mess for just the 2 of us, here at home. I'd rather let somebody else do all the work :p

Christmas Eve will probably consist of many cranberry martinis! :D

harpy
Dec 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Sorry, happy_veg - have just noticed you requested a non-nut loaf recipe and mine is a nut one :o

I don't have a vegan lentil loaf recipe but there are a few around on the web, e.g. http://www.vegsoc.org.au/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=214

foxytina_69
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
we'll be going to my dads house for christmas eve and christmas day. i was hoping to make the usual holiday dinner on christmas day for steev and i but im not sure if ill feel up to it at all. it would be nice though. theres never anything nice to eat at my dads house. my "step mom" makes mostly stuff from a box or a can lol. and its all animal products, but she is willing to use our vegan butter instead of normal butter for her mashed yams and mashed potatoes and veggies. ugh. (my sister is vegan also) but who wants to eat mashed yams, potatoes and cooked veggies for their holiday meal. i like my nut roast, gravy and all the trimmings. (especially with the yorkshire pudding and chocolate cake for dessert. mmmm.)

Jamie
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Can you not bring one over foxytina? You could make it in advance and just get them to cook it around there, or you could make it yourself completely and either bring it along warm, or if they have a microwave you could heat it up a bit (I know it wouldn't be the same, but like you say, a bit nicer than just the veg!)

foxytina_69
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM
actually, thats what i did last year, but my family just got drunk and loud and annoying all night so the dinner wasnt even enjoyable, barely anyone was sitting and really eating dinner, and its a waste to go to such effort for a few minutes of eating when theyre all just partying their faces off. lol. id rather save it for home or not make it at all! but thanks for the suggestion :D

jamboxrock
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm having a Christmas party this Saturday, my first, and I'm very excited. All my friends and bf are omni, but I'm pretty sure I've put together a spread that everyone will like:

raw veggies w/ ranch dressing & hummus
artichoke dip w/ bread, crackers & pretzels
creole stuffed mushrooms
veggie dogs in a blanket
sweet n' smoky nuts
sugar cookies
peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
snickerdoodles
fudgy cocoa mint cookies
spiced crackle cookies
tofu eggnog
warm spiced cider

I'm visiting my family for a day and a half the week before Christmas. My parents are very supportive of my veganism, and my mom makes a special trip to a natural market before I get there. Last year we made veggie chili...she was really proud that she found a recipe out of an old Southern Living. And my dad cooks with tofu sometimes when I'm there. Very cute.

For Christmas Eve through New Years Eve I'll be in Ripon, California meeting my bf's family and friends. Not so sure how well veganism will go over there. They throw a huge party on Christmas Eve, and make hundreds of tamales. I asked if his sister or mom would get me a couple staple groceries before I get there, so I know I can at least eat on Christmas Eve and Christmas when everything is closed. I think I asked for cereal, soymilk, a couple sweet potatoes, veggie chili, and some fruit and veggies. There's a Trader Joe's about 10 minutes away, so I figure I can explore there when stores are back open. PLUS, we're going into San Francisco for a day, and I'm hoping to eat at Cafe Gratitude and Millenium. I can't fathom eating at a vegan restaurant, where there are actually choices, as opposed to getting the one veggie item, as I'm used to. I'm hoping to move to San Francisco next year, so I'm really excited to see the area.

fiamma
Dec 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Jamboxrock your food always sounds so divine!!! Can you post the recipe for, like, ALL of those things?? Just kidding :D well, sort of... ;)