PDA

View Full Version : Vegan food for celebrations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Andie
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:59 PM
But I haven't had any sugar or refined carbs. I just got through having a mini-meal of beans, rice and salad and the craving for sugar has gone away. I think the protein balances it? Co-workers are noticing I've lost weight and one off handed said something about going vegan. I hope she doesn't do it to loose weight though. It goes so much deeper.
I've got a cold or something right now. Headache and real tired so I haven't exercised as much the last few days :-( I staid home from work yesterday. There are lots of changes going on at work and I think that is effecting my anxiety level.

Artichoke47
Dec 10th, 2004, 10:20 PM
I go to my office's party tonight. Luckily, the place is making a great vegan meal of couscous and vegetables, and I have emailed with them and they appear to know what a vegan is! :) Now it's just the corpses that will bother me.

foxytina_69
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:20 AM
sausages pink? whats the recipe :D

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:05 AM
sausages pink? whats the recipe :D

I'm afraid I don't make them, I buy them from the Health Food shop - they are lovely but I cannot remember the name of them - when I do I will post! :)

feline01
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:19 PM
I'm really pissed off right now :mad: . My coworker was verifiying with the spanish restaurant that the carnivores are ordering from that the rice and the potatoes were made with no animal ingredients. One other coworker, let's call her Jerk, screams out, "Oh great, I have to eat this food that has no taste." The coworker who was ordering tried to tell her that the food wasn't being prepared any differently, she was just verifying the ingredients when the Jerk says, "Just have them make a special dish for HER" referring to me. I yell out, "Tell them to throw lard in it, I don't give a shit-I don't want this crap again." Then everyone shut up and it's really uncomfortable here now. I am really sick of this crap but my supervisor does it every year and I think it would piss her off if I didn't particpate. Though I do think this is my last year, I can't take this anymore :mad: .

foxytina_69
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:27 PM
ugh what a bitch. im sorry feline *hugs* do your best to ignore her stupidity and enjoy the rest of your day. think about your healthy beautiful babys and how wonderful of a mommy u are and how wonderful a person u are for making the world such a beautiful healthy place. there are so many animals thankful for u. u are the one with good karma, shes got shit karma and let me tell u, shes going to have a shity life. i see bad things coming to her and shes not happy. atleast u are because u know u make a difference! :D

Andie
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Office dinners remind me of family dinners, you get on the sh-t list if you don't go.
Feline, can you eat before going so you won't be hungry and can just nimble on salad? It's not fair but it's survival. Good luck.

feline01
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:41 PM
We're not going anywhere, this pathetic party is in our room, the small-dungeon like room that 5 of us sit in so not only will I be stuck here for it, but I have to smell and see the animal corpses. Our clerical worker, the party planner, put aside $10 so that I can have falafel and eggplant salad. I just can't stand all this crap anymore-I was in tears when they were planning my baby shower last spring because of all the anti-vegan sentiment being expressed in this office.

Thanks for your support though, I guess I can be on VF gaining strength while this horrid "party" is happening tomorrow.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 14th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Yes, Feline, just come and join the rest of us!!

Why, oh, WHY are people so obsessed with food that it has to be a symbolic part of every kind of celebration????????????

I just can't think of anything LESS festive than eating in a dingy office with your co-workers! :(

Ugghh, unsavoury!

foxytina_69
Dec 15th, 2004, 02:58 AM
well i tried the roast. it was delish! but next time i will grind up the nuts more, so that theyre more like powder then chunks. my boyfriend loved it. ummy.

Kevster
Dec 20th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Hmmm, had another Christmas dinner last night, the two houses in our co-op got together with some other people and we ate Christmas dinner, for the second time in a week i was ready to burst. There was creamed cashew and mushroom wellington, nut roast, potatoes, parsnips, swede, redwoods rashers wrapped around Veggies burger mix, all very good with bread sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy. (not too keen on the Redwoods rashers tho, but interesting to try)

There were also seven puddings including Christmas cake, very delicious, i think i managed to sample four last night and a further one today. The cake was the best, and all the food was vegan.

Just right to give me some energy to go down the gym this morning.

boomer
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Baked the hell fire choccie cake that you ( I think ) linked before the crash, it is scrummy and that will be the dessert, and for main it will be a record attempt at how many variaties of veg you can get on a plate.

cedarblue
Dec 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM
this is what i am having: we have it before and it is yummy for all :p

cashew nut roast with herb stuffing

oven: 200C/400F/gas6

roast:
2oz marg
1 lge red onion, peeled, sliced
8oz unroasted cashew nuts
4oz white bread, no crusts
2 lge cloves garlic
7floz water or veg stock
salt
pepper
grated nutmeg
1 tbs lemon juice

method:
melt marg and fry onion for about 10 mins till tender but not brown. remove from heat.
grind nuts in a processor with bread & garlic then add to onion with the liquid, salt & pepper, nutmeg & lemon juice to taste.

stuffing:
1 sm onion
1oz fresh parsley
4oz white breadcrumbs
2oz soft marg
1/2 tsp each of dried thyme, marjoram
salt
pepper

method:
peel & grate onion, chop parsley. put all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

put half of nut mixture in loaf tin, top with stuffing mix and top with remaining nut mixture. dot with marg.

bake for about 30/45mins till firm and lightly browned. cover with foil if it gets too brown too early.

we found it is better to let the loaf sit for about 15/20mins to firm up a bit.
line & grease a 1lb loaf pan

foxytina_69
Dec 21st, 2004, 07:52 PM
thats basically the same thing im making. from this link:
http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/nut-roast.html

its sooooooo yummyyyy.

its GREAT as "turkey" sandwiches.

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 21st, 2004, 09:56 PM
HeHe, I have been thinking of going 'raw' because I am all over the place with my eating at the moment, I need discipline!
I might start on Christmas Day, just to be annoying and untraditional!. :p

PinkFluffyCloud
Dec 21st, 2004, 09:58 PM
Btw, Foxytina, the sausages are Redwoods Deli, with Oregano and Majoram. Look foul, taste lovely!

Kevster
Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
I'm definitely not going to be eating Tofurkey, apparently it has skin as well, i don't particularly like to be reminded of Turkeys at Christmas dinner, i guess the same goes for other 'fake' meats too.

jhodgski
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know anywhere that does vegan birthday cakes? Preferably Spiderman ones!...

(I got a cake years ago from some place called The Vegan Cake Company (or something like that), but can't find their details anywhere now.)

Cheers,
James

veganfreak
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM
make one! vegan chocolate cakes are dead easy to make, and so good that even omnis don't ask what's in them. ;)

I have a couple of good recipes I could share....

jhodgski
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I don't think I've ever baked anything in my life... And now wouldn't be a good time to start!

And I'm not very artistic as far as the spiderman decoration goes.

Can you give me your recipes though - will hopefully get someone else to do it...

Cheers,
James

tasha
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:26 AM
I just had stuffedTofurky dinner in a box and loved it!

The ingredients were written in french and although I read and speak french, I am not what one would consider bilingual ;)

The gravy is labelled vegan, yet the actual box everything comes in only says vegetarian. I have yet to find one with the ingredients written in English?? Maybe I'm dence?!

Is the whole ToFurkey package vegan?

Pob
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:19 AM
http://www.tofurky.com/aboutus/curd.htm

All of our products are certified vegan by the UK Vegan Society (http://www.vegansociety.com/), use non genetically modified or organic ingredients and are packed in 100% recycled paperboard packaging.

Evilfluffbunny
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Is this the box where you get a 'wish bone' with the turkey?

I always wanted to try that but it was £20 in the health food shop! :eek: I always buy a plain Redwoods roast instead as they're only about £4-£5 and make several meals.

tasha
Aug 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Rob (QG),

Thank you for the link, I can now enjoy without guilt!

Evilfluffbunny,

Yes, that is the one I had, it was so yummy...worth every cent! It was comforting and very filling. We roasted ours with carrots and potatoes. It comes with gravy, dumplings, and the wish bone.

It says on the box either cook for 3 hours frozen or 2 hours thawed, so if you try it and want to thaw it first, remember to open the box and take out the dumplings and leave them in the freezer (we didn't realize you had to do this and they kind of fell apart in the boiling water--but still were delicious).

That does sound pricey, if my conversion abilities are serving me right! It cost about $23 here, which I thought was even a little steep.

:)

Evilfluffbunny
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Sounds great Tasha. Maybe I'll find someone to go halves with then I won't feel so guilty for buying it. :)