PDA

View Full Version : Quorn

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Cherry
Jan 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Fusarium graminearum - isn't he one of the teachers at Hogwort's school?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Frys brought out a vegan mince that tasted fab but for some reason they have stopped doing it, we use the realeat mince sometimes.

Oh no! I never saw the fry's mince. I agree with all the people who think that Fry's stuff is much much better than quorn. Quorn make a big fuss about their protein content don't they? Do you think that's why they're fixated on egg white?

I suppose it would cost them loads to change the recipe, but they SURELY must have made enough money by now to justify it :rolleyes:

sugarmouse
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
lol thnaks guys! should i reply or just leave it at that.or shoudl i sarcastically suggest they start paying their staff less, apart from the research dept, to justify?:)

RedWellies
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:36 PM
I don't think you should be sarcastic. After all, they were perfectly polite to you. You could just thank them for their response and reiterate that you wish their products were vegan. If everyone did this who wants to eat Quorn, it may eventually make a difference.:)

aubergine
Jan 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
we use the realeat mince sometimes.

Last time I looked, I thought the Realeat stuff had egg or milk in it.

sugarmouse
Jan 21st, 2006, 07:34 PM
I don't think you should be sarcastic. After all, they were perfectly polite to you. You could just thank them for their response and reiterate that you wish their products were vegan. If everyone did this who wants to eat Quorn, it may eventually make a difference.:)

maybes! should we all email them.llol

Morna
Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Thier stuff tastes like fish sticks anyway. Processed grabage. I stopped eating them long before I went vegan because they tasted too Fast Food Nation-ish.

twinkle
Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Last time I looked, I thought the Realeat stuff had egg or milk in it.

The formed things tend to, but the mince was okay last time I looked :)

mango
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM

Hehehe, I can't make these with my North American keyboard. Wooo!

I can't seem to make any whatever I do...

Tigerlily
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hehehe, that's cute Mango!

VeganJohn
Jan 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Redwood Foods are vegan and they are MUCH better than Quorn products. Redwood sausages are just mind-blowingly good lol!! Other vegan products such as by Fry's and Realeat are also much better than Quorn and better 'meat substitutes', which would probably attract more Quorn customers??

I always found Quorn to be quite tasteless and did not like the texture much anyway.

Still, it is a shame because Quorn gets everywhere like an earlier post mentioned.

Vegan cat
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anyone knew if any of the Quorn products are Vegan. All the supermarkets round my way seem to stock alot of there products.

:)

Pob
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Nope. None of them are.

They all contain egg white, and many of them contain milk products, too.

Most of the Cauldron stuff isn't vegan either.

Annoys the hell out of me that supermarkets stock that stuff in preference to vegan alternatives like the Redwoods and Fry's ranges.

Vegan cat
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks Pob

Typical!

I dont think supermarkets relise that people would actually buy Redwoods and Fry if they stocked it.

Cant believe they are not vegan, shame cos they have quite a big range!!!!

Pob
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM
On the plus side, if you buy them from health food shops you're not giving all your money to supermarkets.

Also it is better not to eat processed stuff all the time (like veggies that eat quorn for just about every meal!).

But it would be nice for more vegan foods to be in supermarkets.

Vegan cat
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:39 PM
True.

I have a couple of health food shops round my way and they have a decent selection of vegan foods.

Although my Holland and Barrett are a bit rubbish - I think they focus on vitimins and nuts mainly!

Pob
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I have to go out my way a bit to find a health food shop with a chiller and/or a freezer. Kind of encourages me to eat other stuff.

I was talking to someone today about the amount of unhealthy crap that they sell in health food shops. Most of them are just flogging crap loads of (non-vegan) pills and big tubs of milk protein. Mmmm - healthy!

aubergine
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM
goodness-direct.co.uk do a lot of Vegan stuff mail order if you can't find it locally.

Vegan cat
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I have a couple of Bodywise Health shops in my area, they are quite good .

They have chiller/freezer cabinets.

Kworn
Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Down with Quorn ;-)

They really must be stopped from dominating the veggie world and a tasty vegan product enabled to take over!

Tigress
Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
that goodness direct site looks really good. It has a really good vegan selection and you can order produce.
I can feel a shopping spree coming along :)

tabitha
Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anyone knew if any of the Quorn products are Vegan. All the supermarkets round my way seem to stock alot of there products.

:)

Im sure they could bloody make quorn vegan if they tried. It really irritates me that its not. I buy a lot of the burger things for the kids because they moan about vegan stuff so I use quorn for them as an alternative to crappy beef burgers. Although Im happy to say that very little meat comes into my house anymore. Bacon seems to be it and I dont buy that anymore or cook it, my kids get it in when they want it. I wish I could get them on to soya milk and cheezly though.:(

Geeni
Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Tabita - I completely agree that they could make it vegan, but they won't. They won't bother as it looks as though they completely dominate the vegetarian market as it is.

When I became vegan, I actually e-mailed the makers of Quorn to ask whether they would consider making their products vegan. Their response was something along the lines of not wanting to compromise the 'taste and texture' of their products (or invest unnecessary money catering for a 'minority' market?).

We also buy Quorn nuggets, burgers etc. for the kids in our house (considering it a lesser evil!), but I would really love to find a widely available vegan alternative.

Both my girls do love Redwoods cheatin' meats, especially cheatin' beef slices, and I've noticed that Redwoods now do 'chicken' pieces - wonder if anyone has tried them and whether it would be possible to get away with using them instead of Quorn?

tabitha
Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Geeni - I have used Redwood chicken bits in stirfries, also "chicken", sweetcorn and pasta dishes. The kids loved them. In fact in the stirfry they didnt even realise it wasnt chicken. I have also used them in chicken salad sandwiches in packed lunches. I have to be cunning and not tell them its vegan, but Ive got used to being cunning.

Geeni
Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Tabitha, we'll definitely give them a try!:)

Limey
Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
I wish they were vegan. There are so many Quorn products at my stores around here. All the veggie-friendly stuff I bought when I was omni were so good and yummy and I was sad to find them not vegan-friendly when I made the switch. :(

They should make it all vegan-friendly, then everyone could partake and be happy.