PDA

View Full Version : Quorn

Pages : [1] 2 3

sugarmouse
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:39 PM
abouttheir use of eggs and how their customers would increase if they were to make their products vegan.

heres the reply:

17 January 2006

Dear Jennifer

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding Quorn products.

We are sorry to hear that you were upset to learn that eggs are used in the manufacture of our products.

The ingredients used in the Quorn range of products are vegetable in origin, but all contain a small amount of egg white which is added as a binding agent to produce the firm, meat-like texture that our customers enjoy. In addition, most Quorn products contain whey protein derived from milk.

Over the years, we have expended considerable effort working to find suitable alternative binders to replace the egg which would give the same eating quality and make our products acceptable to vegans. Unfortunately we have never been able to replicate the textures & flavours, (which market research data indicate are the optimum), of our current products with the commercially available, vegan approved, food ingredients.

We value and respect the views of all vegetarians and vegans and would hope to meet their criteria at some time in the future. We will continue to search for acceptable alternatives to eggs and fully assess new ingredients as they come onto the market place, but at present we can unfortunately give no indication of when and indeed if this will ever be achieved.

Thank you once again for contacting us with your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require any further information or advice.

Yours sincerely

D Aston (Mrs)
Consumer Care Advisor

i was goin to send a reply stating the obvuous aboutthem having the perfect oppurtunity to increase their custom, and that there are many alternatives to eggs readily available..etc etc

or ask her would a trial run perhaps on one of the products not prove to be a good idea.

i would laughed if the reply said 'wel unfortunatly eggs are miles cheaper than alternatives to them ,and we want optimum profit!':-D

i wil reply though, doesanyone want me to add anythign.

Lily
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I've been intending to email them about this myself, sugarmouse, so thanks for sharing that, you saved me the trouble!

Just how hard can it be for them to come up with a vegan replacement for the egg whites? :confused:

cedarblue
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Just how hard can it be for them to come up with a vegan replacement for the egg whites? :confused:

its hard because r & d will cost ££££

Tigerlily
Jan 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
££££ ££££ ££££

Hehehe, I can't make these with my North American keyboard. Wooo!

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Despite having a substandard keyboard, if you turn on num lock and then whilst holding left Alt you type 156 on the number pad, a £ will magically appear

Pob
Jan 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
French-Canadian keyboards have a £ symbol on them - and they are QWERTY ;)

http://www3.uakron.edu/modlang/french/keyboard.html

FR
Jan 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Wow, what a dumb ass company. Boca and Heath is Wealth have both found ways to eliminate the use of animal ingredients while increasing the flavor and texture of their products.

Lilac Hamster
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
The Quorn company have been trawling out the same dumb excuses for many years, right from the start, I'm sure I got a similar standard letter, it was so long ago, certainly over 5 years ago anyway.

Apparently whey tastes awful and is mostly used as a filler because the food industry has trouble getting rid of it. I did not know they used whey but they probably have to do things to improve the flavour if they use it, so much for the excuses about getting the taste right. If that was important I am sure they would not use whey.

Lesley

Span
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I think you are all right about the £££££ element though, why else would they associate themselves in a place like McDonalds? Hmmm... ethics:rolleyes:

aubergine
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Fry's burgers and sausages are nicer to taste and have superior texture, and those are Vegan...

It's a shame they don't change, because their stuff is *everywhere*

aubergine
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I think you are all right about the £££££ element though, why else would they associate themselves in a place like McDonalds? Hmmm... ethics:rolleyes:

Their burgers have been pulled from McDs now I believe.

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
From my limited time as a vegetarian I remember quorn not only tasting not that great, but it also gave me stomach ache each time i had it. I've no idea why it's so popular, other than just luck and good marketting.

Pob
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I wasn't impressed with quorn either - the mince is tolerable, but the big slabs of the stuff are gross.

RedWellies
Jan 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM
From my limited time as a vegetarian I remember quorn not only tasting not that great, but it also gave me stomach ache each time i had it. I've no idea why it's so popular, other than just luck and good marketting.
I never liked it either but that may be because it's made from mushrooms/fungi (I believe) and I hate mushrooms! Soya mince gives me stomach ache.

sugarmouse
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM
i confess i only tried the little peices.but because it is so widely avaialable and so evidently popular, i just think it would be good for them to go vegan!and yes span, the macdogfood involvement didt impress me either! Quorn dont strike me as a company who are concerned about animal welfare.they have only just started using 'Free range' (yeh rite) eggs.
why dont we ALL email them.lol

Lily
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Well I used to really like the pieces and the mince, and the roast, and the sausages :o.

Lily
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
...and the nuggets.

Tigerlily
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Despite having a substandard keyboard, if you turn on num lock and then whilst holding left Alt you type 156 on the number pad, a £ will magically appear

I am on a laptop, I don't have the nums lock/number pad function. :(

Cherry
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I never liked it either but that may be because it's made from mushrooms/fungi (I believe) and I hate mushrooms! Soya mince gives me stomach ache.

It is indeed ;) I was about to say exactly the same thing about evil mushrooms! It's made from a fungus called Fusarium graminearum if I remember rightly.

(Actually I liked quorn but am still happy to blame any funny symptoms that other people have had on the fact it's mushroom-related! :D )

Gliondrach
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Fusarium graminearum - isn't he one of the teachers at Hogwort's school?

aubergine
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:59 PM
The only thing I used to eat lots of were the swedish style balls. They used to give me a dodgy belly though because of the egg in it.

alisont
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have had the mince in the past when veggie but it always upset my stomach (didnt know at the time but i had an egg intollerance)

My meat eating aunt tried it once and was sick straight away - in fact all bar one friend that has tried quorn says it made them ill:eek:

Frys brought out a vegan mince that tasted fab but for some reason they have stopped doing it, we use the realeat mince sometimes.

Alison

Tigerlily
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I always wanted to try Quorn because a veggie friend in the UK would talk about how he liked it. I was sad to find out it a) wasn't available in Canada and b) had eggs.

I'm glad to know most people didn't like it!

Tiggerwoo
Jan 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Trust me Tigerlily, you didn't miss much!
I remember when I used to be veggie me and my bf would end up having to drink loads of water after eating quorn fillets in a casserole because the texture was so powdery it made us feel dehydrated.

twinkle
Jan 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM
I second LilacHamster in saying I got pretty much word-for-word the same response from Quorn when I wrote to them, and that was probably 7 or so years ago. Their research department must be rubbish if they can't come up with a sub for eggs from all the millions of edible things out there ;)