PDA

View Full Version : Veganic my arse

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sandra
May 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Sometimes if you whisper to them that next door's garden is brimming over with things snails love to eat, you'll find they'll hot foot it to your neighbours garden and leave yours alone.
Well, it worked for me once! :)

emmapresley
May 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
gather them up, in a bucket..nicely cosy, and take them for a jaunt down a field..then release them crooning "free! be free my slimies!"

if you jaunt far enough they won't come back. probably. :confused:

horselesspaul
May 30th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I feel bad making any fellow being unwelcome really, apart from parasites of all kinds.

Ginger
May 30th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I agree HP, so just imagine what all the seasoned gardeners on my allotment site think of me :D :eek:

emmapresley
May 30th, 2007, 10:15 PM
true enough..but if they're as happy down the fields as they are in your garden scoffing up all your plants, then surely that's okay? :)

horselesspaul
May 30th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Relocation, (un)fortunately not in a Channel4 annoying mememe property programme way, is definitely the thing. I just feel a little little bit bad about it.

Ginger
May 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Aaah, you're such a sweetie HP

horselesspaul
May 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
No way, hard as No Nails, me.

Ginger
May 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Lol :d

eco
May 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM
No way, hard as No Nails, me.
That'll be those new cotton wool nails you can buy. Nowt wrong with being a softy lad. Soft-hearted beats hard-hearted any day of the week.

Ginger
May 31st, 2007, 10:53 AM
I couldn't agree more

veggiepark
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I somewhat disagree with killing pests. I know it's not technically "vegan" yet if pests are destroying plants, especially if you depend on them for sustenance, you must do something to counter-attack, sorta of like if a bear was attacking, you might want to harm, or even shoot it to defend yourself.

What about purchasing another insect that eats them. Such as ladybugs eat aphids. The vegan dilema is in purchasing a insect, otherwise, it's not you killing the aphid and the ladybug will starve without them.

horselesspaul
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM
you must do something to counter-attack, sorta of like if a bear was attacking, you might want to harm, or even shoot it to defend yourself.

Not even slightly like if a bear were attacking. Insects eat plants, it's what they do. If one relies on those plants to exist then be a clever human being and find a way round it.
Fwiw I would never knowingly kill another being and would not want to harm a bear, whatever it wanted to do to me. I shouldn't be in its face in the first place and if it came to it I would like to think I could find a way to escape since fighting a bear is pretty much impossible without a gun.
As for introducing predator species, this can be done quite effectively with companion planting which attracts the predators rather than purchase etc.

Just spent another half an hour relocating bugs today..

Ginger
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM
I think the compost heap will be 80% slugs soon :D

cedarblue
Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
i hear what you're saying ginger - me too!!!

Tibetan Snake
Jul 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM
In order to atract Lady birds cut Bamboo to 10 inches ish and bundle them together and they will find them unresistable to live in.
Put sevrel bundls around the place.
As the Budda said it ts in the nature of the Lady bird to eat things it likes.
Only humans have reason.

Darky_
Dec 27th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Well what about wrapping a net around the plant with only small holes....a stong net thats hard for them to chew, but take it off for a little bit everyday to the plant can still have room to grow but leave it back on most of the time....(?)It would also keep birds and others away. :s

OR, some above said, copper gives slugs a feeling of like an electric shock, well buy a couple of little cheap plants just for them and make your own little table really high up with some cheap materials and long copper legs so it would be difficult for them to climb up and get your own edible plants/herbs you need and keep them on the home made table(?)!! hheheh :D