PDA

View Full Version : Omega-3: Vegan DHA / EPA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

Korn
Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Omega-3 fatty acids for nutrition and medicine: considering microalgae oil as a vegetarian source of EPA and DHA. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18220672) (2007)

Long-chain EPA/DHA omega-3 fatty acid supplementation can be co-preventative and co-therapeutic. Current research suggests increasing accumulated long chain omega-3s for health benefits and as natural medicine in several major diseases. But many believe plant omega-3 sources are nutritionally and therapeutically equivalent to the EPA/DHA omega-3 in fish oil. Although healthy, precursor ALA bio-conversion to EPA is inefficient and production of DHA is nearly absent, limiting the protective value of ALA supplementation from flax-oil, for example. Along with pollutants certain fish acquire high levels of EPA/DHA as predatory species. However, the origin of EPA/DHA in aquatic ecosystems is algae. Certain microalgae produce high levels of EPA or DHA. Now, organically produced DHA-rich microalgae oil is available. Clinical trials with DHA-rich oil indicate comparable efficacies to fish oil for protection from cardiovascular risk factors by lowering plasma triglycerides and oxidative stress. This review discusses 1) omega-3 fatty acids in nutrition and medicine; 2) omega-3s in physiology and gene regulation; 3) possible protective mechanisms of EPA/DHA in major diseases such as coronary heart disease, atherosclerosis, cancer and type 2 diabetes; 4) EPA and DHA requirements considering fish oil safety; and 5) microalgae EPA and DHA-rich oils and recent clinical results. PMID: 18220672

DrewCornell
May 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
First timer here. Vegetarian turning Vegan.

I visited a nutritionist to see what my levels were as far as minerals and such. I discussed with her about Omegas. While she said nut and seed are a good source, a convenient and consistent form is Essential Living Oils by Dr. Ohhira. I live in a small town so I had to find them online. www.realfoodgrocery.com (http://www.realfoodgrocery.com) It's the lowest price i found but they don't have a lot of other vegan stuff though.

Vegan Joe
Jun 9th, 2011, 06:17 PM
My last cholesterol test, my good cholesterol was 51.
I attribute this to sprinkling Chia seeds on my oatmeal several times a week.
I'm 57, and been vegan for over 5 years. This is the highest test result in those years, and I attribute it to the introduction of Chia seeds in my diet.

whalespace
Sep 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Opti 3 appear [claim] to have increased the amount of:
EPA in their product to 200mg per dose [dose of two capsules]; this is five fold increase.

DHA in their product to 400mg per dose [dose of two capsules; this is two fold increase.

Same price. I got some.

Per tub :
EPA = 6 grammes.
DHA = 12 grammes.

Deal of three tubs for about thirty quid plus three quid postage.

Consistency
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
//

Maître
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I've tried them and didn't have any issues, they were easy to take and had no bad tastes or smells etc.

Consistency
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM
--

DavidT
Apr 19th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone

I've tried searching but had no luck finding a suitable answer to a question from a non-vegan (though the answer's probably there somewhere!).

The non-vegan stated that 'not all omega-3s are the same' and that just because 'omega-3 from fish oil is known to be beneficial, proponents of plant-based oils have made the assumption all omega-3 oils are the same and consequently just as beneficial'.

I have a few thoughts, particularly with regard to the mercury, etc in fish oil but how do I respond comprehensively?

Korn
Apr 19th, 2012, 01:11 PM
A little a side comment - just saw this new article:
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/archinternmed.2012.262v1
We also have this one:
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12276-Omega-3-Not-Enough-Fish-In-The-Sea

proponents of plant-based oils have made the assumption all omega-3 oils are the same and consequently just as beneficial'.
Not really... more later.

Consistency
Apr 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I've recently started taking the Opti3 EPA/DHA supplements and they really do work. Dark adaptation has improved only after a couple of days. On the first day I did notice colours more vividly.

I've been reading on how these supplements benefit those with dyslexia.

Maître
Apr 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone

I've tried searching but had no luck finding a suitable answer to a question from a non-vegan (though the answer's probably there somewhere!).

The non-vegan stated that 'not all omega-3s are the same' and that just because 'omega-3 from fish oil is known to be beneficial, proponents of plant-based oils have made the assumption all omega-3 oils are the same and consequently just as beneficial'.

I have a few thoughts, particularly with regard to the mercury, etc in fish oil but how do I respond comprehensively?

There's ALA, EPA and DHA which are all separate 'omega3s' and all required by the human body.

ALA is both used by itself as well as converted into EPA and DHA by the body, but the rate is known to vary and commonly assumed that it's not efficient enough to rely on ALA alone as your source for all three. Fish oil contains ALA as well as EPA and DHA, as does algae and derived supplements. Most vegan omega3 supplements and recommended high omega3 foods (flax, hemp, etc) other than algae contain just ALA and thus are considered inferior because you need far more 'omega3' in order to meet your requirements. One other problem with getting just ALA is that the amount of omega6 that you get interferes with the conversion of ALA into EPA and DHA.

Mercury is present in most fish oils, there's a higher concentration the higher up the food chain the fish is, though it seems to be under debate as to whether it's actually dangerous at the levels consumed. Algae derived omega3 oils don't contain mercury.

tl;dr - Algae based omega3 is the same as fish oil but without the mercury risk or the cruelt , the only downside being the higher cost due to lower demand - fish get their omega3s from algae, how could it be inferior?

Thiis my understanding after reading various threads both on this forum and checking out external articles, someone please correct if I'm mistaken at all.

DavidT
Apr 24th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks Maître. The non-vegan was referring to plant-derived omegas (flax, rape etc) rather than algae. Stephen Walsh (Plant-Based Nutrition and Health) makes the valid points about omega-3/omega-6 balance but recommends a teaspoon of flax oil a day as being the best source. I'll have to re-read his notes about EPA and DHA but I've lent the book out...:( :-)

Maître
Apr 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks Maître. The non-vegan was referring to plant-derived omegas (flax, rape etc) rather than algae. Stephen Walsh (Plant-Based Nutrition and Health) makes the valid points about omega-3/omega-6 balance but recommends a teaspoon of flax oil a day as being the best source. I'll have to re-read his notes about EPA and DHA but I've lent the book out...:( :-)

Ah, I considered algae a plant while reading your post :D It all comes down to how effectively the body can convert ALA I imagine, which is something that nobody seems to be able to agree upon yet >.> I also imagine that it varies a lot between different people, as some cultures have eaten fish for generations whereas others have had to rely on this ALA conversion.

Consistency
Apr 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
---

citameht
Apr 24th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I react really badly to these algae (most likely), I guess I'll stick to inferior landlubber omega-3.

Consistency
May 24th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Has anyone experienced macular degeneration(vision loss) from taking EPA/DHA supplements?

harpy
May 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Why do you ask, Consistency? There seems to be a suggestion that higher levels of DHA/EPA (along with other factors) are associated with reduced risk of macular degeneration http://www.iovs.org/content/early/2012/01/23/iovs.11-8721.abstract I don't think I've read the opposite, until now.

ETA that study I linked to is about macular pigment density, but high density is meant to reduce the risk of macular degeneration, I thought?

EagainTA this is quite interesting, though it goes on about fish: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/macular-degeneration-000104.htm It mentions that higher ALA could be associated with macular degeneration.

Consistency
May 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Why do you ask, Consistency? There seems to be a suggestion that higher levels of DHA/EPA (along with other factors) are associated with reduced risk of macular degeneration http://www.iovs.org/content/early/2012/01/23/iovs.11-8721.abstract I don't think I've read the opposite, until now.

ETA that study I linked to is about macular pigment density, but high density is meant to reduce the risk of macular degeneration, I thought?

EagainTA this is quite interesting, though it goes on about fish: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/macular-degeneration-000104.htm It mentions that higher ALA could be associated with macular degeneration.

You're right.

I pin pointed the macular degeneration to white rice. Explains why the majority of chinese people need glasses.

efAston
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:04 PM
...makes me wonder if our bodies were designed or intended to have fish in the diet.
Our bodies weren't designed ;)

phoenix rising
Dec 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
What a shame the Opti3 Omega 3's contain rosemary. Will, for now have to stick to the more expensive V Pure, unless anyone knows of any other brands out there?