PDA

View Full Version : Omega-3: Vegan DHA / EPA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

treehugga
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Haniska try soaking nuts overnight or for several hours. This makes them more digestable.

I get eczema mainly when I eat nightshade veg such as tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, capsicum. Also anything scented like soap, washing powder etc will flare it up.

Poppy
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks Poppy, Well I rang for the results yesterday expecting to hear they were normal but was told the doctor wanted to see me. The nearest appointment I could get was Tuesday 8th, so I'm going to have a long wait. The nurse said to me 'don't be worrying', well as soon as she said that I was worried!
:) :) Hiya Sandra...
I'd be the same as you. There's a saying "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere"
Try and have a good week-end :) x

sandra
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks Poppy, I will. Sorry I can't help with the vegan wine kit, hope you can find one soon. x

j&k
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Haniska:

Anything is possible, in terms of the cystine. But, your body should generally be producing cystine on its own (it's a conditionally essential amino acid) from methionine. Brocolli and brussel sprouts are both listed as good sources, as are red peppers and oats (porridge or oatmeal is the best grain food in my opinion, and can be eaten somewhat regularly).

In terms of detox symptoms (again, I'm not saying this is what you had, but just to inform you), people who nutritionally rid themselves of arthritis will tend to have horrible flare ups first, before it finally leaves the system. Now it is possible that is what was going on with you, but it is possible it was other things as well.

If you are concerned about cystine levels, one sure way to find out is to go to your doctor and have him/her run an amino acid profile on you. Takes the guess work out of it.

For copper, you can either be taking a multivitamin, or eat prunes, lima beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms etc. I still think this unlikely as an immediate deficiency, but anything is possible.

I continue to wish you the best, and I'd love to be kept in the loop with how you are doing.

Sandra -- Please don't worry. I'm sure it is nothing major that can't be fixed quickly with appropriate changes. I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best also :)

BEst,
Josh

Poppy
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Poppy, I will. Sorry I can't help with the vegan wine kit, hope you can find one soon. x
:) Thanks Sandra...all sorted now. You just take it easy this weekend.:) x

Haniska
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I'm aware about the methionine but thanks. I know that some foods have "some" methionine and cystine but not in amounts that would be 100% at the end of the day, unless I was a raw foodist. I'm going Friday to have an echo done. Thanks for the tips treehugga, I have been thinking about the nightshades myself.

treehugga
Aug 8th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm aware about the methionine but thanks. I know that some foods have "some" methionine and cystine but not in amounts that would be 100% at the end of the day, unless I was a raw foodist. I'm going Friday to have an echo done. Thanks for the tips treehugga, I have been thinking about the nightshades myself.

No worries. I also struggle with wheat, but find spelt and kamut are fine. Hope you sought things out. :)

Pascale
Jan 6th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I was just talking with my dad, who seems to be rather interested in nutrition, is a doctor, and has read a lot of medical literature, and he says that he only takes fish oil supplements once or twice a week. He does this because from what he had read, apparently you only need to get one to two servings of fish a week to get enough DHA. Since the DHA in fish oil pills equals the DHA in one serving of fish, he doesn't think he needs to take fish oil pills daily. I take a liquid DHA supplement derived from algae, and wasn't sure how this information would translate into the algae supplements. I would like to take the DHA supplement as little as possible, yet enough to be healthy, because it is expensive. Does this mean that I should only take my DHA supplement 2-3 times a week rather than every day?

eve
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:20 AM
One daily dessertspoon of flaxseed oil provides the nutriment, and without mercury!

Wildflower
Jan 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Pascale,

I have never heard that you don't need to take it every day, but it may have the same effect with just a few times a week. people often try to over do vitamins, and there are some i only take every other day, just because i know i get the nutrients from food mostly.

I am also in the US - can you share which brand you take? I have been looking for one of the algae DHA supplements.

Pascale
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I use Dr. Fuhrman DHA purity: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/DHA.aspx
I use this because I have a lot of difficulty swallowing pills. It's expensive, which is why I want it to last as long as possible. If I could swallow pills, I would probably take this supplement: http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/o-mega-zen3-vegan-dha-supplement-by-nutru.htm

Vagetarian
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
SILK is now selling a DHA fortified soy milk. Don't worry, it's algea based DHA. Finally!!! :D If you drink Soy Milk and do not take a DHA supplement, this would be a good way to go to make sure you're getting your DHA. I don't want to turn this thread into a health debate as to wether or not we actually need supplemented DHA. But those in the camp that think we do will be happy to see it in Silk. The only problem is, they don't list the actual amount in each serving. If anyone knows, let me know.

soyqueen01
Sep 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks Poppy, Well I rang for the results yesterday expecting to hear they were normal but was told the doctor wanted to see me. The nearest appointment I could get was Tuesday 8th, so I'm going to have a long wait. The nurse said to me 'don't be worrying', well as soon as she said that I was worried!
so what happened? I was following this thread (about a year later, but that's how the internet works) - and then I found I couldn't get past page 9... I'm in suspense - what happened with Sandra's results?

sandra
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Soyqueen01...............to be honest I can't really remember why the doctor wanted to see me about the results. I think he just wanted to re-do one of the tests as the results weren't clear. I do know though, that after they were re-done, everything came back normal........thank goodness!
Thank you for asking. :)xx

CapeMayRowat
Oct 8th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know about the (relatively) new DHA supplement v-pure, a pill supplement from algae. Supposedly its advantage over all competitors is that it contains both DHA and EPA (from what I understand a "parent" building block for DHA. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Michael Benis
Oct 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
EPA converts quite readily to DHA, but the reverse is less efficient, so there is some science behind the claims. It's no more expensive than - for example - Deva's DHA supplement (also vegan and made from algae) and they occasionally do a 3 for the price of 2 offer. I've been taking it quite regularly for a over a year. Can't say I've noticed any difference in my health, but they're a perfectly decent company to deal with.

Cheers

Mike

harpy
Oct 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I take it, irregularly though :o

I think the argument for this over the DHA-only ones was that some bodies are better at converting the various substances than others, and that it's difficult to know whether you are good or bad at it so this is like an insurance policy. I also think I read the criticism that the amounts included in V-pure are quite low, but it might be better than nothing even so.

You can find more detail earlier in the thread, I think.

Ecojosh
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM
The question I have is for a detailed response as to the value of EPA.

I use a vegan DHA supplement now which costs much less then Vpure. I am considering switching to Vpure but need to know if it's truly going to have any benefit compared to DHA alone

Thanks!

Fuhzy
Dec 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
I know this is old but I wanted to post the info in case somebody happens to search here for it.

To answer the question,

"Silk Plus Omega-3 DHA contains 370 mg of ALA and 32 mg of DHA per serving."

Fuhzy
Dec 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
The question I have is for a detailed response as to the value of EPA.

I use a vegan DHA supplement now which costs much less then Vpure. I am considering switching to Vpure but need to know if it's truly going to have any benefit compared to DHA alone

Thanks!

I would also like some info. :)

AndyB
Feb 12th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I would also like some info. :)

+1

If budget were no issue, it would be v-pure, but I'm hesitant to spend that much unless the 'insurance policy', so to speak, would be superior.

veganwitch
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Wow, there's a lot of info to wade through here.

Since this thread has been inactive for awhile I'm wondering if anyone has new thoughts on DHA?

I just started to consider taking it (today actually) and am overwhelmed by the choices.

I sporadically take flax oil, but I can't seem to stomach the taste anymore.

So right now am considering Deva omega 3 DHA softgels, OmegaZen3 by NuTru, and Vpure vegan EPA DHA omega 3. I saw all of those on Pangea's website.

whalespace
Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I have been taking v pure EPA-DHA for about two years I think. Expense wise, I know that I would spend more time buying and\or squeezing seaweed [ or grinding sones if that was the only way] than I spend on this stuff.
I take more than the 'capsules per day' recommended on the tub because an 'expert' gave me some numbers [which I haven't checked myself]. The placebo effect is pleasant even if I gain no other benefit. :)

ALexiconofLove
Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking about buying/taking the v pure epa-dha supplement. I'm a bit confused though. If you take this supplement, do you still have to worry about how much omega-6 you're taking, or does it not matter? Is omega-6 what prevents you from converting ALA to EPA and DHA, or does it prevent your body from using any omega-3 (ALA, EPA, DHA). I apologize if this question makes no sense. I'm just trying to figure out what I should or shouldn't eat.

Does anyone track their intake of omega-3 and omega-6? So many foods I love contain a high ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 (avocados and soy!). Even things that I've seen recommended as good sources of omega-3 (like avocados and walnuts) have way more omega-6 than omega-3. In fact, the only thing I've found that has significantly more omega-3 than omega-6 is flaxseed... and I feel like I can only eat so much flaxseed!

whalespace
Mar 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I remember something about omega 6 inhibiting absorption of omega 3, and I did once write an essay about alpha linoleic and alpha linolenic acids for a happy snacking sister, but I cannot remember properly to be honest.
I don't remember anything about omega 6 preventing production of DHA nor EPA.
As with other antagonistic nutrient absorbtion combinations, I guess that a handfull of one food type is only in the crucial part of your digestive system for x amount of time. When you are finished absorbing your first essential substance, then you can put in your second.
Obviously things could get a bit more complicated than that, but it is better than a jigsaw puzzle... actually that could make an interesting four dimensional kid's game:).

I reckon the gut can be pretty quick if you don't stuff it full all at once.

Flax is a tough and slippery protecting beauty, with just a bug's worth of poison for the tail.