PDA

View Full Version : onion gravey

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM
i thought id post this recipe. i made this tonight and smothered it all over potatoes. it was delicious. i havnt had gravey in almost a year! its a distinctive taste, sum might not like it, but i do!

8 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 white onion, sliced
8 tbs flour (i used rice flour)
2 1/2 tbs nutritional yeast
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 to 2 cups water
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp sage
splash of sherry or red wine
dash of nutmeg
dash of liquid smoke
sea salt and pepper

cook onions and garlic in oil, over medium-low heat until onions are soft. add flour, yeast and soy sauce. stir frequently. slowly add water and veggie broth, continue stirring. bring to a gentle boil. add liquid smoke, sherry and spices. if its too thick, add more water/veggie broth.

:)

spo
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Mmmm-sounds yummy --I'm going to try this this weekend.
Thanks, foxy :)
spo

foxytina_69
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
thast funny spo, as i was just posting my new revised recipe for this as you posted that :) anyhoo, here it is. this one is much better. my boyfriend loves this stuff. i go thru it sometimes once in a whole day!

onion gravy:

olive oil, or any kind of oil (enough to cover bottom of pot)
1 onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of flour (i like mine really thick, use less if u like it runnier)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
8 tablespoons soy sauce
3 cups water
3/4 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon vegan butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped)
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
pinch of sage and paprika
dash liquid smoke
pepper and sea salt to taste

fry onion (and fresh garlic if using) in pot, over medium heat until soft and clear. turn down heat, and add flour, nutritional yeast and first 4 tablespoons soy sauce. whisk in 3 cups of water slowly. turn up heat and bring to a boil until thickened. turn down heat to medium again and add rest of ingredients, aswell as the other 4 tablespoons of soy sauce. cook for a few more minutes, taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.

Tigerlily
Apr 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Yay for gravy!

Plain baked potatoes get boring sometimes.