PDA

View Full Version : cream cheese alternative

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Pob
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I've never seen the trans fat free version in the UK. I don't think it is available here.

Swedish Soft is still not available, too. Not sure when/if that's coming back.

!!
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
i've been looking for cream cheese and resorted to making my own. it was hideous!! hummous does just as well on crackers :D

Cherry
Feb 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
The thing is, I think I need chocolate cheesecake in my life.

Has anyone tried the spreadable sheese stuff? Do they do a plain cheesecake friendly one?

EDIT: They do, they do! New sheese website (http://www.sheese.co.uk/)

Pob
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Does soft tofu not work in a cheesecake in place of cream cheese?

Cherry
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I use half tofu and half vegan cream cheese cos I think it tastes nicer.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of trying the sheese stuff. Haven't had cheesecake since finding out about the tofutti stuff. I hope the sheese stuff is more like that and not as salty as the swedish soft. I also think they're a company worth supporting, but haven't done so far cos I much prefer cheezly.

Pob
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I presume the Scheese has palm oil in, so that wouldn't be any good for me :(

The hard cheese substitutes are all off limits too.

Cherry
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Ah. Yes. I would rather have orangutans than cheesecake.

It just says vegetable fat - how do you know if it's palm or not ??? Are you emailing all the companies?

twinkle
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM
You know, back when the Swedish Soft was available, I made a LOT of lemon cheesecakes, but looking at the ingredients, I thought it couldn't be that hard to replace the "cream cheese" element. I experimented with just using more tofu and some marge, and it didn't quite work (though it was certainly edible, just not as "creamy")... I wonder if some soya cream and more agar agar would work? I do miss that cheesecake, but I'm not prepared to pay £2.50 for a small tub of tofutti cream cheese. :)

Jamie
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
There's a recipe for a millet-based cheesecake in the Uncheese Cookbook I really reccommend :) I don't think there is any tofu in it, and no cream cheesy stuff either. It was cashew powder and millet done in a food processor from memory - made it a lovely yellow colour which was far more appetising than the grey of the tofu-based one I tried making! :o

Pob
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM
It just says vegetable fat - how do you know if it's palm or not ??? Are you emailing all the companies?I haven't been. If has a high proportion of saturates I assume it is palm fat (not much else it can be). I've not see the soft Scheese, so I'm not sure what it's made of.

henryfoole
Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Anyone tried the new Pure cream cheese? I have and its very nice!

BlackCats
Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
No I haven't tried the new Pure cream cheese yet. I haven't seen it.:(

i've been looking for cream cheese and resorted to making my own. it was hideous!!

:amazed_ani::D

henryfoole
Apr 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
No I haven't tried the new Pure cream cheese yet. I haven't seen it.:(

I found it in Tesco, only place I have seen it so far. I was hoping they would have the Pure cheese slices as well but not seen them so not sure if they are even out yet. Pure's website gives very little or no info.

Anyway's I bought some Bagels to have with my Pure cream cheese! hope you find some soon :)

summerdivine80
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Ive found some in Tesco a few days ago! Pure Soya Soft & Creamy... was really good on baked potato. Havent seen it anywhere else though. Its definaely vegan, go tthe vegan approval on it

Simon
Apr 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I was trying to find where to get them and emailed Pure, it seems the cream cheese spread is just in tescos, and the cheese slices in asda but asda have olny stocked them since a week ago.

Qing
May 31st, 2009, 02:34 AM
not find.