PDA

View Full Version : cream cheese alternative

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

cedarblue
May 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM
my local sains has stopped stocking their 'free-from' vegan soft cheese spread :mad: whats a lassie to put on her bagel, in her jacket spud, on top of her carrot cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i asked an assistant who was stocking the cheese shelves about it and she did say that she had been asking for it to be re-stocked herself but no luck so far - she said it was quite tasty and she wasn't vegan!
i will have to contact them and perhaps they will do as well as ASDA did when i complained about the lack of own brand soya milk for about a month - couple of weeks later, there it was again.

NO ONE takes away my soft cheese and gets away with it :mad: :mad: :mad: !!

just another example of minority item and dietry group getting the short straw :(

mattd
May 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
do they sell tofutti over in the UK? their cream cheese is pretty damn good.

gertvegan
May 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Its available alright, but not in the supermarkets as far as I'm aware.

cedarblue
May 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Its available alright, but not in the supermarkets as far as I'm aware.

nope, never seen it any. healthstore near me has it occasionally.

foxytina_69
May 9th, 2004, 10:11 AM
mmm i love vegan cream cheese. altho i can only ever find it in the herb flavoured kind (by tofutti)

tricia
May 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM
mmmmmmmmm tofutti creme cheese.. i love it..and glad fortinos carries it....

My local grocery store also started carrying vegan gourmet which is supposed to be a great vegan cheese that melts... i got some yesterday and making tortillas tonight.. mmmmmmm ok im getting hungry

foxytina_69
May 13th, 2004, 08:24 AM
the vegan cream cheese works really well for stuffing mushroom caps with. after u bake them the cream cheese just melts in your mouth. mmm delicious!

cedarblue
May 13th, 2004, 08:42 PM
found some tofutti in local health shop, its £2.35, is that pricey?
will still buy some though and try it. whats the best flavour tho?

Cloudy
May 13th, 2004, 10:40 PM
found some tofutti in local health shop, its £2.35, is that pricey?
will still buy some though and try it. whats the best flavour tho?

£2.30 from mine. French onion and herbs and chives are both good. Nice on bagels with cucumber or whatever you fancy!

bulletproof
May 19th, 2004, 06:44 PM
i have never seen it

triona.d.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
hiya all. when i first became a vegan about four or five years ago i bought a vegan 'cream cheese' (like philidelphia) from Sainsburys Free From range...it was delicious! i don't think they do it anymore and i can't seem to find any others. does anyone know of any available in the UK? i'd be so happy if you did! many thanks, love tri

Mr Flibble
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Try tofutti stuff available from most health food shops (inc holland and barratt). It's good but imported and a bit of a rip off. There also used to be a brand in supermarkets called Swedish Soft, which threatened a revival about a year ago but never happened.

Hemlock
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
We buy loads of tofutti, lasts all of 5 minutes:(

paulvegan
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM
tofutti. YES YES YES:D;):):p

Veryblue2
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
You can get Swedish Soft at Sainsburys! Yup it's v.yummy :)

Veryblue2
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Oh, BTW It's £1.29 for 200g, don't know how that compares to Tofutti... haven't had the need to hunt it down, cause Swedish Soft is soooo tasty. Am I missing out?

Which wins - Swedish Soft or Tofutti?

Mr Flibble
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
interestment - must be a welsh thing (maybe you have 5 year old stock? ;)). Tofutti is more like 2-3 quid for that much; very similar but if memory serves more salty. I shop once a week in a huge sainsburys in Coventry and despite looking every now and then haven't seen it yet.

Cherry
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
What, you mean tofutti is more salty than swedish soft? Or vice versa?

I remember swedish soft being way more salty than tofutti. I only remember cos I made a chocolate cheesecake out of it and it didn't quite taste right :D Tofutti is much better for cheesecakes :D

I just had some tofutti cream cheese on a bagel, actually :)

vegan1969
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Doesn't tofutti cream cheese use hydrogenated oil? I quit buying their ice cream because I found out they use cane sugar that is processed through bone char.

Troutina
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I might try Swedish Soft- I picked some up then put it back cos I already have some garlic tofutti in already, but I might try this plain one.
Tofutti kind of has a weird taste.. but I dont know whats weird about it!

paulvegan
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:16 PM
sadly yes

vegan1969
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
sadly yes

thanks for the info.....do you know of a vegan cream cheese that doesn't use hydrogenated oil?

Veryblue2
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
interestment - must be a welsh thing (maybe you have 5 year old stock? ;)). Tofutti is more like 2-3 quid for that much; very similar but if memory serves more salty. I shop once a week in a huge sainsburys in Coventry and despite looking every now and then haven't seen it yet.

It's listed on the sainsburystoyou website as well... so it could be that it's just not popular in your store :o Maybe you could ask them at the 'unhelpful people desk' if you have an hour or two to kill...

Hmmm... if tofutti is twice the price, in theory it should be twice as good right?.....

Roxy
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:40 AM
thanks for the info.....do you know of a vegan cream cheese that doesn't use hydrogenated oil?

Tofutti. They also make a non-hydrogenated cream cheese. It's in a yellow tub.

Pob
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:49 AM
interestment - must be a welsh thing (maybe you have 5 year old stock? ;)). Tofutti is more like 2-3 quid for that much; very similar but if memory serves more salty. I shop once a week in a huge sainsburys in Coventry and despite looking every now and then haven't seen it yet.Both the sainsburys near me stock it. They are both fair sized stores, though. It has a reasonably long date, so it only takes 3 or 4 people to buy it regularly.