PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

patientia
Apr 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Oatly. But it's too expensive here (greedy importer) so I haven't bought it in years.

Gwydion
Apr 16th, 2010, 11:39 AM
chocolate oatly :) amazin
drank a whole litre this afternoon haha!

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779

Second post onwards - apologies :(

kikifromscotland
Nov 14th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I just tried the organic Oatly last week. It's yummy, although I prefer soya in tea/ coffee/ cereal/ cooking, I can drink Oatly straight from the glass, which I generally only do with Chocolate soya milk.

Sgable84
Dec 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I don't use anything instead of it, because it's not necessary to use cow milk in the first place. ;)

If I have a recipe that calls for soymilk, I will use soymilk, rice milk, or oat milk, but this is definitely not instead of cow pus, considering the recipe was vegan and well-thought-out to begin with.

I agree with you 100%. But...I do like a glass of soy milk every now and then :)

TXvegan
Dec 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I said combination, but what I mean is that it varies. I will often buy whatever one is on sale. I don't drink it straight, so I'm not partial to anything for that reason. Do love a Soy Creamer I've found recently for coffee. Plus, I found a Soy Nog yesterday...yay!

Back-Space
Dec 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I made almond milk a while ago, and I added some chocolate sauce to it :D It was amazing... But way too much work to do again :p

Rhys
Dec 10th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Soy milk's my favorite but will also drink/use almond milk once in a while.

Night_Owl
Dec 19th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Almond breeze so far.

RubyDuby
Dec 19th, 2010, 11:38 PM
^ yum.

megrainbows
Dec 24th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I really like Rice dream hazelnut & almond, but in my opinion it is better microwaved for a minute :) I can only get it in Holland & Barretts though which is annoying, as my nearest is 10 miles away.

SugarPlumFairy
Dec 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I drink a lot of Pacific non sweetened organic almond milk with my brown rice protein shakes, but I add a packet of stevia to it for sweetness.

lortaylove
Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
I love rice milk, i could drink carton after carton (if it wasn't so damned expensive)
i also like coconut milk.

i don't like plain soya milk but i like soya milkshakes ^_^

and i agree about cheesly :P you may as well chew on a rubber boot it tastes about the same

MrWizzle
Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
I emailed Oatly regarding their source of vitamin D and received this response today:

"Thank you for your inquiry of Oatly. We have today four products on the UK market, organic, enriched, chocolate and cream. Organic and cream are both suitable for vegans. Enriched and chocolate are both enriched with vitamin D3. For you information we are changing D3 to D2 which means that the products will be suitable for vegans as well. Because of stock these products are not yet available on the shelf but they will be around beginning of March. All products with best before date 01-01-2012 and after contain vitamin D2."

Good news, as their chocolate milk is delicious (oops, I've had it twice).

pusskins
Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this MrWizzle! :D

Gwydion
Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Good work MrWizzle! Sweet potato.

Firestorm
Feb 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Thats brilliant news about Oatly, their oat milk and cream* are nice, but Ive wanted to try the Chocolate milk for ages but couldnt - thanks MrWizzle!

My favourite Soya Milk has to be So Good, I know that it used to taste like rat vomit, but they changed the recipe about a year ago and it tastes much better now.

With regards to cheese alternatives I have to agree that some of the Cheezly does taste like old boots, but Ive found some to be OK,the super melting edam is nice in a "Cheese and Onion Quiche", the super melting nacho style is ok (especially on a lasagna or a chilli non carne lasagna) and they have recently brought out a cheese with bacon bits in - which tastes brilliant. But most of the time I prefer Sheese strong cheddar style.

*Just a quick note about Oatly Cream, if you blend some with Kahlua Mocha it becomes a gorgeous creamy liqueur (quite like Baileys).

Greyowl55
Feb 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I never really used to drink dairy milk anyway, so I have not had to find a replacement as such - it has been more an issue of remembering to drink a large glass of soya milk to get the B12. I find it quite palatable. The Co-op doesn't seem to have their own brand, but they do stock limited amounts of Alpro. Otherwise it's Morrisons or Tesco's own brand, unsweetened.

pusskins
Feb 14th, 2011, 11:05 AM
The Co-op do stock their own brand soya milk - usually it's about £1.30 or something. Quite expensive.

Greyowl55
Feb 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
The Co-op do stock their own brand soya milk - usually it's about £1.30 or something. Quite expensive.

Thanks for that - obviously hasn't reached this neck of the woods yet. I'm not paying that for it anyway!

Veggie Tales
Apr 4th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I prefer almond milk, unsweetened though. I used to be hooked on Chocolate Silk (soymilk) but it's just to much sugar to have as staple! I have also read so many debates about soy that I avoid it when possible. I still eat tofu and faux soy meat sometimes but cut out soy milk.

Assaye
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM
So far we've tried Alpro light and Alpro unsweetened, which are fine for cooking savory stuff but I don't like them much. Provamel unsweetened is also fine for cooking but again, I don't like to drink it. I enjoy Provamel sweetened, though. I was initially skeptical but the longer I go without real milk, the more I like the soy milk. I also had an Alpro strawberry soy shake the other day and that was DELICIOUS. I'm craving it so badly.

As for cheese - we've tried Cheezly and Sheese. Both have their place. The strong mature Sheese is good for a cheesey flavour and goes really far as it's so potent. Cheezly needs more for the flavour, I find, but is good for a cheesey texture (such as on pizza). I also like Cheezly cheddar toasties.

Tofutti cream cheese is great - made a really excellent creamy pasta dish with it the other day. Mmmm. Also lovely on a bagel.

Firestorm
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
So far we've tried Alpro light and Alpro unsweetened, which are fine for cooking savory stuff but I don't like them much. Provamel unsweetened is also fine for cooking but again, I don't like to drink it. I enjoy Provamel sweetened, though. I was initially skeptical but the longer I go without real milk, the more I like the soy milk. I also had an Alpro strawberry soy shake the other day and that was DELICIOUS. I'm craving it so badly.

As for cheese - we've tried Cheezly and Sheese. Both have their place. The strong mature Sheese is good for a cheesey flavour and goes really far as it's so potent. Cheezly needs more for the flavour, I find, but is good for a cheesey texture (such as on pizza). I also like Cheezly cheddar toasties.

Tofutti cream cheese is great - made a really excellent creamy pasta dish with it the other day. Mmmm. Also lovely on a bagel.

I agree, Alpro is great for cooking and great in tea, but doesn't make a good beverage on its own - except the flavoured versions. I really like So Good fresh Soya Milk, So Good UHT oat milk, Marks and Spencer Soya Milk and Rice Dream Rice Milk - they do some great flavours also.

LadyBug23
Apr 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I like almond, rice, and coconut milks.

The only soy milk I like is Silk's Dark chocolate. :D

phiewe
Apr 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I use rice dream - organic or original. Pretty okay on cereal, or in baking but wouldnt drink a glass of it! Kinda scared to try others though oatly is on the shelves and I wonder if its good.. Advice?

xwitchymagicx
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I use rice dream - organic or original. Pretty okay on cereal, or in baking but wouldnt drink a glass of it! Kinda scared to try others though oatly is on the shelves and I wonder if its good.. Advice?

I love Rice Dream as a milkshake...I could not drink any milk plain. Btw...going organic often means no calcium/vitamin D/B12...just if you didn't know...I prefer to go non-organic as I like to make sure I get enough calcium as possible!!!

I heard oately wasn't vegan, maybe I'm imagining this.

I wish they did the almond milk and coconut milk like they do in America with all the minerals added.