PDA

View Full Version : Favorite vegan milk alternatives

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

gertvegan
Sep 9th, 2004, 11:06 AM
So what do you use instead of that animal secretion ?

Artichoke47
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I don't use anything instead of it, because it's not necessary to use cow milk in the first place. ;)

If I have a recipe that calls for soymilk, I will use soymilk, rice milk, or oat milk, but this is definitely not instead of cow pus, considering the recipe was vegan and well-thought-out to begin with.

Mystic
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Go Artichoke!!! :p
I agree...however, I do use rice milk on my cereal and sometimes I crave yoghurt or ice cream- so I will eat a tub of soy yoghurt or vegan ice cream. I will not touch vegan cheese. That stuff is wrong on so many levels!

gertvegan
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I agree its not necessary to use cows milk, goats milk, gnats milk.... but alternatives to using dairy can't be a new thing surely.

I've tried all the above, but my favourite is Plamil White Sun, sunflower oil with pea protein and apple. www.plamilfoods.co.uk

John
Sep 9th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I will not touch vegan cheese. That stuff is wrong on so many levels!

Is that because of taste, non-melting, texture, smell? Is there something evil about vegan chese I do not know? :confused:

Kiva Dancer
Sep 9th, 2004, 11:32 PM
So what do you use instead of that animal secretion ? Depends.

If I'm drinking it by the glass, I'll go with Chocolate Silk or Chocolate Vitasoy.

If I'm cooking with it, which I rarely do, then I go with unflavoured silk.

Cereal, I eat dry out of the bowl. Rarely ever will I have the traditional "cereal and milk".

Yogurt and ice cream only in the form of WholeSoy and Soy Decadance - chocolate almond flavour.

I view vegan cheese much the same way you do, banana. That stuff is dead nasty and wrong on so many levels.

slinkyvagabond
Sep 10th, 2004, 06:57 AM
I didn't like milk much when I was an omni--I thought it tasted funny when I was younger, and developed lactose intolerance later on. Now that I'm vegan, though, I use "milk" more, though I use the derivatives (soy cheese, soy ice cream) less. I've tested several varieties.

My favorite so far: Almond Breeze. I've just discovered the joy that is almond milk, and drink it and use it on my cereal.

I used to like 8th Continent lite soymilk, but stopped using it since it contains sucralose (and I got sick on it). :mad: Blech. Ruin a good thing.

Rice milk's not terribly bad but I found it tasted odd in anything besides rice cereal. I've never had oat/quinoa/grain/hazelnut milk, but I'd like to try them.

If I'm cooking something that requires bland milk, it's Vitasoy lite. If I want chocolate milk, I sometimes will have Silk, but I don't like too much of anything that calorie-dense, and I'm not a big chocolate milk fanatic anyway. I'd try the choco Almond Breeze if I could find it. I've had Silk (I think) soy chai, which wasn't bad.

I haven't found a good vegan cheese yet. Why are you all so opposed to it?

I have tried and liked Soy Dream, Soy Delicious, and Tofutti. I'm going to try the rice stuff next. It's a nice once-in-a-while treat. But no soy yogurt for me--ick ick! It's hardly any better tasting than the "real" thing.

Gorilla
Sep 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM
i never liked cow's milk much either and started removing it from my diet years before i went totally vegan (i suspected i had a slight allergy to it as well).

i couldn't eat dry cereal - hack! hack! cough! gotta have some sort of liquid on my muesli ;)
i used to use calcium enriched Rice Dream on my cereal, i liked it a lot, but it tasted bad in tea and coffee, so i used soya milk for that. i realised it was wasteful and expensive to keep buying all these cartons so bought a soya milk-making machine. now i make my own and use that both on cereal and in tea/coffee (not that i drink them much anymore, though). i sweeten my milk while making it with agave syrup or apple juice concentrate, as it's too bitter without it. i add a liquid calcium and magnesium supplement to it as well. the machine can also make other plant milks, so i'm going to try making my own rice milk and nut milk too (when i have time!).

i have tried White Sun, didn't like it at all though. i have also tried Tiger White, which is a new milk made from the roots of sedge plants. interesting idea, but i wasn't too impressed with that one either. :(

i like some flavoured soya milks such as Alpro who do a lovely chocolate milk. i sometimes buy their yogurt, they do a good plain one that i use with curry, or in place of sour cream with chilli, nachos etc. they also do a few good fruit flavour ones which make a nice dessert occasionally.

as far as vegan cheese goes, i thought i'd be dying for a good cheese substitute as i used to love cheese, but i've been vegan for a year now and i don't really need it after all. i realised that after a few months of trying horrible vegan cheeses, it wasn't worth it and it's perfectly possible to live without cheese ;) i don't mind Tofutti cream cheese, but i don't think it's very healthy - heavily processed and made with hydrogenated oils i think. i only use it rarely - the plain one makes a good chocolate cheesecake :) the melting Cheezely is ok on pizza, but it's so expensive i'll still make my own 'naked' pizzas most of the time i think!

Artichoke47
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I believe 8th Continent is the only non-vegan soymilk. It has Vitamin D3 in it.

Cyan
Sep 10th, 2004, 01:51 PM
i alternately liked the taste of milk and was completely icked by it when i was a nonvegan (ick won out eventually...). now i drink ZenSoy vanilla, although it can be really hard to find. my brother (who prefers Silk) complains that it's way too sweet. but i think that's why i like it! yum.

the plain Zen is also very good and neutral enough to cook/bake with.

i can't bring myself to eat vegan cheese. it's so expensive and looks naaaasty. but i love, love, love Silk cultured soy ("yogurt").

assilembob
Sep 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
i don't mind Tofutti cream cheese, but i don't think it's very healthy - heavily processed and made with hydrogenated oils i think.
I love Tofutti - they now make their cream cheese without the hydrogenation. I take it with me when I eat breakfast out to put on bagels or toast occasionally. the Vegetable flavored kind also makes a great chip dip. Especially on the plain sun chips.
I stand behind my veganrella cheese I found in Austin. It melts well, just needs a little salt for melting though as it's sorta bland that way...and is great on pizza. It wasn't all that expensive either! Sorry all - I need cheese on somethings and I love a grilled cheese with tomato soup when I am feeling sick. That veganrella is awsome. There is a cheese I found on a UK site...don't remember the name of the company, and a lot of people rave about it. Only available over there though...
And I use Silk...sometimes I buy the Enhanced one..as it has omegas and anitoxidants in it as well. I need all the help i can get

~Mel

l337_v3g4n_1
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:48 PM
I use provamel (alpro) soy milk and love their vanilla desserts! :p I found a yummy grated "cheese" called veggie shreds, company unknown. I use it in place of sliced "cheese" and it melts beutifully! all the other "cheeses" are icky, I dislike it immensly. provamel has the most beutiful soy brands, I reccomend it to everyone! :D :D

p.s. about the milk not needing to be substituted, I actually just like the taste of soy milk, so I drink it because it has vitamins I need. I also recently found a great vitamin b12 supplement I can use, now I don't need to worry about that! :p

assilembob
Sep 14th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Hmm...I thought veggie shreds had casien in it...you may have a differnet brand than what is available here...
~Mel

l337_v3g4n_1
Sep 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Hmm...I thought veggie shreds had casien in it...you may have a differnet brand than what is available here...
~Mel

...shitttt..... fack. oh, NO!!!

forgive me my ignorance, not only that, but the other flavour I tried has... DRIED SKIMMED MILK PROTEIN!!!

...I'm going to die...

:( :( damn. this sucks. From now on my eyes will be WIDE open, this sucks!

l337_v3g4n_1
Sep 14th, 2004, 08:23 PM
p.s. I don't know many of the english ingredient thingies, never new casein was un-vegan!

I'm going to cry.

cedarblue
Sep 14th, 2004, 08:32 PM
i dont have different milks for different uses - just sweetened soy for everything. like gorilla i bought a soymilk maker too and am experimenting with that too, made a lovely almond milk in it for over my cereal.

btw gorilla, what sort of quantity of apple concentrate do you use for 1 1/2litres of soy milk ? does it REALLY take that bitter taste away?

cedarblue
Sep 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
bought a packet mix 'cheese' spread thingy from veganstore at the uk veganfest in july, you add boiling water to the powder and it makes a kind of cheese spread filling for sandwiches etc....my verdict???

caaaaack!!! :(

8 winks
Sep 15th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Unsweeteded Soy milk for me. but not that often cause when i buy a quart it is gone in fifteen minutes between me and my boyfriend........................ but i don't use it to "replace" milk. i Never drank that junk, even when i was a kid and scarfing down other non-veggie things.

Gorilla
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM
cedar, i buy bottles of Biona apple juice concentrate, and i use about four tablespoons for each batch (approx. 1 litre) of soya milk. it's expensive, but i just don't like the bitterness of unsweetened soya milk. i've tried different sweeteners like agave syrup as well but apple concentrate seems to be the best and cheapest.

Roxy
Sep 15th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Don't worry l337. It was an honest mistake so don't beat yourself up about it. I have been vegan for 9 months now and from time to time still make mistakes. For example, I was eating the Subway veggie patty on wholewheat bread thinking they were both vegan. Well, thanks to this site, I found out that they WEREN'T. I was angry at myself but it's not like I did it deliberately. Oh well, you learn, you move on.

Cedar, I tried a packet cheese mix like that too. It was called Chreese. It was disgusting!!

cedarblue
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:46 AM
twas the same mix i think roxy - UGH!

Veggie4Life139
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
I believe 8th Continent is the only non-vegan soymilk. It has Vitamin D3 in it.

8th Continent isn't VEGAN??!! :mad: What's D3 have that's not vegan? I used to drink that stuff thinking it was just soymilk!!!

Gorilla
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:42 PM
vitamin D3 comes from all sorts of animal sources, some people say it can be made synthetically but i haven't heard anything conclusive. the Vegan Society doesn't seem to believe it can be synthetic. read this: www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/vitaminD.php

wuggy
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:57 PM
I try to only buy anything with a large label on it 'suitable for vegans', it saves the worry and endless small print reading!!

Gorilla
Sep 21st, 2004, 10:41 PM
yes Wuggy that's usually a good way to tell if it's vegan and if it's approved by the Vegan Society then even better. unfortunately though i have heard of products that were labelled as vegan but weren't - because the company who made them didn't consider certain ingredients to be 'animal products' e.g. bee products. also i read on a forum somewhere (thought it was this one, but can't find it) that an American brand of soy milk says it's vegan but contains D3, but as i said before this is one of those things where it may or may not be a vegan/synthetic D3. :confused: