PDA

View Full Version : Berry Cobble Cake

Wildflower
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I got this recipe from VeggieLife magazine. I think it is more of a coffee cake/breakfast cake kinda thing. Serve it with tea for brunch! :)

The recipe actually calls for frozen raspberries, but I used fresh blueberries. I think any type of berry would work with the exception of strawberries. Blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, gooseberries, etc. You may need to adjust the sugar based on the sweetness of your berries and your personal preference. :D The recipe also suggests a creamy topping to go on the side, like a soy whipped cream. Enjoy!

10 ounces frozen raspberries - unsweetened (I used 1 US Dry pint of blueberries. I had trouble finding a conversion from a dry pint to 10 ounces so I am not sure exactly what the difference is. I can only say the carten of blueberries worked well!
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon margarine, softened (I used Earth Balance)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup plain soymilk, room temperature (I used Silk brand)
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice (I just used the juice from 1 med lime)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup water

1) If using frozen berries, put in a seive under a glass bowl and let defrost, collecting juice in the bowl to be used later.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and lightly coat an 8 inch round cake pan with 1 tsp margarine. In a large mixing bowl, cream 2 tablespoons margarine with brown sugar until well blended.
3) In another bowl, sift or whisk together flour and baking powder. Add 1/4 of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until well mixed. Add 1/3 of the milk and stir until well mixed. Continue alternating flour and milk into batter, mixing well after each addition.
4) Spread batter in prepared pan. Top with berries, distributing evenly. Set aside.
5) If using frozen fruit, take the juice from the bowl and add lime juice, sugar and water. Transfer contents to a small saucepan or put bowl in the microwave (if using a saucepan on the stove, just add the sugar to that or you will never get it all out of the bowl). Heat until mixture is just boiling, and sugar is dissolved.
6) Gently pout hot syrup of berries and batter. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until batter is set. Cake will have an attractive "cobbled" apearence. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Nutrition Data: 6 servings in cake, for 1 serving - 197 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g fat, 35 g carbs, 177 mg sodium, 5 g fiber. Of course, this will vary by your brand of soymilk/margarine.

Added note - this is actually a very easy recipe, they make it sound a bit more complicated then it is...

paulvegan
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:47 AM
sounds good:)*opens mouth waiting for cake to be put in*

Wildflower
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM
lol! I'm afraid my arms won't reach all the way to Brighton!

CEH
Jul 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the recipe - can't wait to try it:)

flvegan
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Wow! I just noticed this recipe, it sounds REALLY good!!!
Thanks so much for sharing!:D

Michelle

Juice
Jul 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I made this last night, Wildflower. Thanks for the recipe. It was so good, I ate all of it last night. :o oh well, I burned it off and more on my long run this morning.

Wildflower
Jul 18th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Oh cool Juice, glad you tried it, and liked it! :D

Tigress
Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
This sounds yum, Im going to give it a try today with raspberries :)