• All

Interviewed for vegfamily.com by Dina Aronson

What does your job as a vegan registered dietitian entail?
    I mainly volunteer for The Vegetarian Resource Group as a nutrition advisor and nutrition editor for Vegetarian Journal. With VRG, I work on all sortssorts of projects. One ongoing job is responding to questions from readers and from visitors to our Web site. This week I fielded questions on high protein diets for vegetarians, diabetes during pregnancy, and iron supplements, among others. I also work with interns and students who are interested in learning more about vegetarian organizationsvegetarian organizations. I write 2-3 columns for each issue of Vegetarian Journal, in addition to book reviews and occasional articles. I also review each issue before it's published and often work with authors of nutrition-related pieces to polish their articles. I do some free-lance writing and speaking also.

Are you working on any projects right now? Please tell us about them.
    I'm just finishing up the second edition of The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets with Ginny and Mark Messina. We've done a lot of work to present the newest information about vegetarianism for dietitians and other health care professionals. Simply Vegan, Debra Wasserman's and my book, is being revised and updated as are many of the nutrition sections of VRG's website.

We started our second year of homeschooling in September. Right now I'm working on units on the great depression and machines and inventions as well as coordinating a newspaper by and for homeschoolers. I'm also an assistant Brownie leader and am in the middle of making several quilts.

How long have you been vegan and why did you go vegan?
    I've been vegan for the most part for about 15 years. I was already a vegetarian before becoming vegan. In college I was influenced by Frances Moore LappeFrances Moore Lappe's Diet for a Small PlanetDiet for a Small Planet and saw vegetarianism as a part of the solution to world hunger. Later, becoming vegan seemed like the right thing to do - eating animal products is obviously not necessary from a nutritional standpoint, and I hate the idea of harming animals. Of course, other considerations like health benefits and a non-violent philosophy also played a part in my going vegan.

Continued here: http://www.vegfamily.com/interviews/reed-mangels.htm

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...meat-free-diet

Lesser consumption of animal products is necessary to save the world from the worst impacts of climate change, UN report says

A global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change, a UN report said today.

As the global population surges towards a predicted 9.1 billion people by 2050, western tastes for diets rich in meat and dairy products are unsustainable, says the report from United Nations Environment Programme's (UNEP) international panel of sustainable resource management.

It says: "Impacts from agriculture are expected to increase substantially due to population growth increasing consumption of animal products. Unlike fossil fuels, it is difficult to look for alternatives: people have to eat. A substantial reduction of impacts would only be possible with a substantial worldwide diet change, away from animal products."

Professor Edgar Hertwich, the lead author of the report, said: "Animal products cause more damage than [producing] construction minerals such as sand or cement, plastics or metals. Biomass and crops for animals are as damaging as [burning] fossil fuels."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 5 6 7 8 9 10 11