Thread: Vegan footwear in Australia

Is a spoon.

Default Vegan footwear in Australia

I need to get some school shoes that are synthetic. They just need to be black, lace up and female. If anyone has any suggestions of good places to find these, whether in Adelaide or just somewhere in Australia, I would greatly appreciate it.

Default Re: Shoes

VeganWares has on online catalogue you can order from if you want something ethical but pricey.

Otherwise you could always just look for something at one of the cheaper shoe shops. School shoes at these places are usually made from synthetics. I think Spendless Shoes has a store just off Rundle Mall and in most shopping centres. Can you wear canvas shoes to school these days? If so, Oxfam stores sell a "blackspot" style canvas sneaker that are fair trade and vegan to boot (pardon the pun!) There's an Oxfam in the city and at Marion.

what makes a shoe female?
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Is a spoon.

Quote Imapeach
    VeganWares has on online catalogue you can order from if you want something ethical but pricey.

Otherwise you could always just look for something at one of the cheaper shoe shops. School shoes at these places are usually made from synthetics. I think Spendless Shoes has a store just off Rundle Mall and in most shopping centres. Can you wear canvas shoes to school these days? If so, Oxfam stores sell a "blackspot" style canvas sneaker that are fair trade and vegan to boot (pardon the pun!) There's an Oxfam in the city and at Marion.
    Thanks for that, I'll try Spendless and just some cheap shops. I couldn't order them off the net because I'm not the easiet person to fit shoes for. I love Oxfam, I'd like a pair of those canvas sneakers, I doubt my private school would allow those though. poopies. Again, thankyou for you help

Quote moonshadow
    what makes a shoe female?
    It doesn't have a penis...

Quote blue-and-yellow
    It doesn't have a penis...
    Gender is not defined by reproductive organs alone.

Default Boots

Anyone know where i can get vegan steel cap boots?
    Peace,love,happiness and freedom!

Default Re: Where to find vegan footwear in Australia?

I ordered a pair of shoes from Vegan Wares late last year. I had known about them for years but was a little wary because of the expense and because I couldn't try them on first. The boots I ordered were A1 quality and they exchanged them because I wanted a bigger size than the one I originally ordered. They're really beautiful too. I love them. I'm about to order a pair of shoes now. Prior to that, I was wearing 'plastic' shoes from K-mart and the like.

I think they have steel cap boots too.

Thanks!
    Peace,love,happiness and freedom!

My boots are from Vegan Wares in Melbourne (and online), they are the most comfortable and handsome pair o' boots I've ever had in my life. Definitely worth every penny and the people are really friendly. I'd encourage everyone who can afford it to support their business, totally ethical and the shoes they make last a lifetime - better than buying cheap things that need replacing after six months. I've had mine for 3 years and they look like I bought them yesterday.

In Denmark synthetic shoes often have a tiny piece of leather on them to avoid toll (there is some toll on 100% synthetic products). Stupid rule. Nevertheless - many famous american skaters are vegan, and cause they design shoes, I can buy vegan shoes in skateshops. Probably the same in Australia.

great question! i wear the oxfam shoes but they are a mite too small methinks. i just got them recently on a trip to melbourne from the oxfam shop there. wish i had known about veganwares! i have heard that non- leather shoes stretch a little... anyone know? anyone wearing the oxfam shoes and got a review for me?

Many years ago I turned over a new leaf and gave away my sizeable leather and/or suede shoe and boot collection to eager friends who had long coveted my fancy footwear. I chose not to replace the collection with any similar but non-animal styles since it seemed almost hypocritical to remove one type only to wear near-identical shoes that promote leather type footgear and have gotten by with fewer, plainer, less smart, more casual foot coverings. However, I do upon occasion miss certain styles I once owned. My knee-high red boots for instance. I'd really like to know if there are any attractive, comfortable, not-impersonating-animal-skin boots. So, to cut a long story short, do such vegan shoes exist?
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

There are a lot of online stores with vegan shoes you could check out to see if you can find anything that will replace what you gave away. I hope you find what you're looking for!

http://greatgreenshoes.com/
    http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/
    http://www.planetshoes.com/storeitems.asp?fscat=660
    http://www.mooshoes.com/
    http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Thank you for the links and kind thoughts Kitteh!!
    I've been interested in Vegetarian Shoes for a while now since they claim superior breathability, movement, etc and admire their ethical stance. My only qualm is I know no-one who owns a pair, so if anyone has any feedback on good or bad mail-order vegan shoes please let me know. The other thing is that in the main (Earth Vegan shoes and VeganWares boots, for instance) verge on the hideously ugly. I know Beyond Skin make some attractive heels but I really can't justify spending $300 or more on shoes at present. Does anyone have a source for reasonable and handsome footgear? Right now, vegetarian shoes seem my best option. Can I find sweatshop free for under $100? Since I won't compromise on this, the answer is probably no....
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

I'm impressed by Tom's Vegan Wrap Boot (scrummy and great, bright colours) and Melissa Shoes have some gorgeous heels and are completely recyclable. These kinds of footwear are not imitating leather and that is what I'm seeking. Maybe we can do a poll of the style of shoes vegans wear? I'm consciously trying to avoid leather, suede, sheepskin, etc looking things because it only serves to condone the real materials as acceptable to use. What do others think?
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

Rabbithole

Vegan shoes from www.downtherabbithole.com.au they have a gorgeous selection of women's Vegan shoes. mainly from USA. and not very expensive

That is a great link. Thank you so much for showing me where to get olsen Haus shoes locally. Exciting times ahead. Hopefully, they'll expand to stocking more boots and bags soon!
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

Quote Rabbithole View Post
    Vegan shoes from www.downtherabbithole.com.au they have a gorgeous selection of women's Vegan shoes. mainly from USA. and not very expensive
    Thanks for the link, I am tempted to buy some!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Default Re: Vegan footwear in Australia

I recently bought some Vegan ballet flats by Olsen Haus from www.downtherabbithole.com.au they are amazing! I went back and got the ARIEL boots which are on sale for $75 from like $300 or something. Both are fantastic. def recommend them