Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Luna Bars

Default New Luna Bars

For all you Luna Bar eaters, there's a new line of Luna's called Luna Sunrise, or something. It's a more breakfasty type Luna Bar. I went to the website, and unless I missed something, they appear to be vegan (unlike those discontinued ones --Luna Glow or something? I think they had whey). Haven't tried one yet. Has anyone had one yet?

Limey

Default Re: New Luna Bars

Nope, not me. Probably won't either. Unless lots of people say they taste fantastic.

No, but I almost bought one in the store the other day. They looked pretty good.

Hey! Not sure about the new ones your talking about but the lemon Luna bars are really yummy!

Michelle

I just wanted to add that the Target here sells them for like .97 a piece, if anyone is interested in wanting to try them out.

I think Lemon and the Orange ones are the only ones I haven't tried. I like them to be chocolatey--like vegan candy bars! I love S'Mores, Caramel Nut Brownie, Cookies and Cream, Iced Oatmeal Raisin.....

Quote Veganbear
    I think Lemon and the Orange ones are the only ones I haven't tried. I like them to be chocolatey--like vegan candy bars! I love S'Mores, Caramel Nut Brownie, Cookies and Cream, Iced Oatmeal Raisin.....
    Ooooh! Iced Oatmeal Raisin, those sound soo good!!! I don't think I've ever seen the Cookies & Cream ones though?

Luna bars are the one thing I always try to keep in my purse in case I need a nice pick-me-up, LOVE them!!!

Michelle

There's no way I could keep one in my purse. I'm lucky if I can get one home without eating it in the car!

I like Luna Bars but I find them way too dry. I always have to drink water with them.

Same with Clif Bars. They make me so thirsty and spike my bloodsugar so high (I get lighthead).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I like lemon Luna bars waaay better than any cliff bar I have had. Cliff bars are too pruney for me. But yeah, Luna bars are dry and sweet. I had one for the first time Saturday, I bought it Friday night specifically to take with me the next day b/c I was going out with my father and cousins and knew that food would be scarce. I don't think that I could keep one in my purse either! Even though they are too dry and sweet!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Tigerlily
    I like Luna Bars but I find them way too dry. I always have to drink water with them.

Same with Clif Bars. They make me so thirsty and spike my bloodsugar so high (I get lighthead).
    I *think* most protein bars are that way because they have so much fiber in them. I agree, I defiantely have to have a whole bottle of water each time I eat one!

I've had a few of the Clif bars as well, and they don't do anything to my bloodsugar (that I've noticed) but they have a chewier texture where the Luna's have a bit more crunch!

Michelle

I think the glazed-type Luna Bars are less dry. I used to love S'Mores until I tasted the Caramel Nut Crunch (?) and others with glazes. Those are better. Oh, it'd true: they are like glorified candy-bars, but they're good and they do have a ton of vitamins and stuff.

I've never even tried any flavour of luna bar as they are always out of stock.

I've had a peanut butter cliff bar though and that was drydrydry. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Limey

Ok, after reading all these posts touting the great taste of these Luna bars, I went out and got three to try. And all I have to say, IMO, is: awful, awful, awful.
    To me they have some sort of weird flavor in there going on that basically tastes like dried fish guts, in all honesty. I don't know how to describe it other than it being kind of fishy and mangey. Ugh.
    I used to be addicted to Zone bars and those, other than the Balance Trail Mix bars, are the only ones I could deal with. They're not vegan, though, which is probably good for me since I used to eat them like they were candy bars.

I've just ordered four luna bars to try, I'm just hoping they're not fishy to me as they were £1.75 each!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Limey

Sorry, not trying to put anyone off them.

I just don't know how to describe the taste and it's more of an after-taste. The first bite I had, I was thinking "ohh, yummy!" then the longer I had it in my mouth the more that taste came out and I was in my car and had nowhere to spit it out. I had to swallow it and I was not happy.

I guess everyone has different likes and dislikes though. I'll try them once, if I don't like just don't eat them again.

What flavor did you get Limey?

I like Lemon Luna bars and others that are "glazed" as people said, but some are really dry and yucky like Nutz of Chocolate or something named simillarly.

I bought a chocolate peppermint stick and tried it yesterday and it tasted like actual dirt!

I like peanutbutter cookie, dulce de leche, cookies and cream, iced oatmeal cookie and Lemon. Lemon are my favorite and seem to be a favorite of a lot of people.

Limey

It was something chocolate-y, I know that. And it was a glazed one. There was no lemon ones where I got mine. I might not have picked that one up, though. I love real lemons, not lemon flavored stuff.

food in bar form creeps me out...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Oh I adore Luna bars! I love any of the ones with chocolate especially. Key lime pie is also a favorite. I just tried the peanut butter cookie and loved it.

I'm kind of interested in going to buy one to see if I can notice the "fish guts" thing.

Ooooooh! Key Lime? That sounds like it would be just as good as the Lemon!

I just tried the s'mores one...hmm not too my taste that is all I can really say!

I bought my first Lemon Luna Bar today. As soon as I smelled it I knew I wouldn't like it. As soon as I took a bite, I knew I was right. It was GROSS. But I paid 99 cents for it, so I ate it. YUCK.

Quote Veganbear
    I bought my first Lemon Luna Bar today. As soon as I smelled it I knew I wouldn't like it. As soon as I took a bite, I knew I was right. It was GROSS. But I paid 99 cents for it, so I ate it. YUCK.
    I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't like it. It's very lemony, but it's one of my favs. They are definately not like candy bars & I know you posted earlier that you like the candy bar flavored ones.

Michelle

I think lemons should be sour and tart. Not sweet. It's not a REAL lemon taste if it's sweet.

Limey

I got the Lemon one, just to try, and it had that same awful fishy taste. But I DID figure out exactly what the taste was - scallops with lemon juice. That's the taste. Nastiness.

I don't think I'm buying any of them again, the three I tried were disgusting. So I'm not wasting money trying the others.

FR

Wow. I know everytime a new flavor comes out I'm like "these are the best ones ever"... Well, this time that statement has never been more true!! I've tried the "Morning Sunrise" Luna Bars. I had strawberries and creme, and the even better blueberry yogurt ones. OMG'z, freaking fabulous. I especially loved biting into the blueberry one and to my surprise chewing whole blueberries burried under crispy oats and a hella sweet soy yogurt topping. A few guys and I at Trader Joe's were talking about how they say "made for women" on the packaging, but how we eat them anyway because they're so damn good!! One of the workers there said they say that because they are lower in calories when compared to their cousin, Clif Bars, and because the high soy content helps to prevent breast cancer.

Veganbear, I totally understand where your coming from with the whole sour & tart thing. I also agree about it not tasting like "real" lemons if it's sweet, but most things that contain lemon flavor usually has the sweeter taste to it, I guess it just appeals to more people if it's a tad sweeter? I'm not really sure about the reasoning for it.
    But for the most part, I think that the Luna bars have a bit more of the "sweet" factor going on, at least that's been my experience with any of their flavors.

Xwitchymagicx, I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to try anymore, they are a bit more expensive than say a regular ole' candy bar, but of course candy bars don't have all the good stuff in them either!
    But don't give up on protein bars altogether, I'm sure that there's a brand out there that you'll find that you'll like.

FR, I'm with you. I still love them, I haven't seen any of the Morning Sunshine line, but will be looking for them.

There seems to be a defiante, Love or Hate relationship when it comes down to the protein bars, or pertaining to this particular thread, to certain flavors. I really think for most people they are an acquired taste, no matter what brand they buy, although I'm sure some are really horrible. They are not something that I buy on a regular basis, but love having one occasionally.

Thanks for posting about the Sunshine line, I'll be excited to find them!

Michelle

where in the uk can i get them from to try???

I gotta buy some tomorrow, I will be out with my friends at Busch Gardens. Too bad I don't drink beer

BOOOBERRY!!!! STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM!!!!! Double yum! Must add thise to Sundays shopping list! Thanks for the info Mista FR.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Quote FR
    I especially loved biting into the blueberry one and to my surprise chewing whole blueberries burried under crispy oats and a hella sweet soy yogurt topping.
    WHOLE BLUEBERRIES??? Next time I come across them I HAVE to try one!!!

Quote cedarblue
    where in the uk can i get them from to try???
    Hello

They sell them at:

www.veganstore.co.uk

If they are in stock! I haven't tried them yet but shall do asap.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

thanks meggy, must have missed them there

Quote cedarblue
    Cedarblue, I love your profile picture - you look SO nice!

The Luna, Trek and Cliff bars are under Baked Goods in the Sweet Things section. Expensive though!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

FR

I tried the new mint flavored Clif Builder bar yesterday. It's probably the best of the four flavors.

Quote Limey
    Ok, after reading all these posts touting the great taste of these Luna bars, I went out and got three to try. And all I have to say, IMO, is: awful, awful, awful.
    To me they have some sort of weird flavor in there going on that basically tastes like dried fish guts, in all honesty. I don't know how to describe it other than it being kind of fishy and mangey. Ugh.
    I used to be addicted to Zone bars and those, other than the Balance Trail Mix bars, are the only ones I could deal with. They're not vegan, though, which is probably good for me since I used to eat them like they were candy bars.
    Oh man Limey,

I bought a lemon luna bar and a peanut butter bar like I said. AND NOW I KNOW what you mean! EEEW! I think it it the fortification.

Question:

At the end of the ingredients lists for Luna and Clif Bars, there's a long section of "Vitamins & Minerals." Are all these things definitely from Vegan sources? I'm specifically worried about the B12. I've been searching around online but haven't figured it out yet.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

"Are there any animal products in LUNA bars?
    LUNA bars do not contain animal products or ingredients sourced from animal products."

but if you care

"What is the Organic Palm Kernel Oil in LUNA bars?
    Organic Palm Kernel Oil is an ingredient in the creamy, soy coating of LUNA bars that keeps the coating from melting at room temperature. Palm kernel oil is a natural saturated fat, which is not a source of trans fat."

Tried to get them imported to Australia but no go for the time being, but now I have read all these mixed comments about them! I had only read good comments before now..

I love Luna Bars.
    My favorites are Dulce De Leche, Lemon Zest, and Peanut Butter Cookie.
    I don't like the Chai one (which is surprising because normally I love Chai).
    I eat one for breakfast very often
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote cedarblue View Post
    sainsburys in the free from section in my store

thanks vava! i'll check it out, but that section in my local store is not very good.

Quote cedarblue View Post
    thanks vava! i'll check it out, but that section in my local store is not very good.
    I know I can buy some and then have a nibble at them to try them and then send them on to you!

just checking back on this old thread because i'm having a big Luna Bar phase at the moment. i've never seen them in Sainsburys, i can only get them from Veganstore and they're VERY expensive, but SO yummy. we can only get four flavours here i think, the S'mores one is my favourite but i also like the Chocolate Pecan Pie. no fishy taste there!

I like Lara bars. They used to be hard to find, but now they are in every store I go to, and so many flavors. I noticed that you gan buy them by the case on amazon. They have a pruney taste, but I like them that way. I may have to get a couple cases. I put them in my truck and eat them as a snack, between meals.
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

i wish Amazon sold them by the case in the UK! i don't find them pruney at all.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    just checking back on this old thread because i'm having a big Luna Bar phase at the moment. i've never seen them in Sainsburys, i can only get them from Veganstore and they're VERY expensive, but SO yummy. we can only get four flavours here i think, the S'mores one is my favourite but i also like the Chocolate Pecan Pie. no fishy taste there!
    I've seen them in my local Sainsbury's (two varieties, but it was some time ago and I can't remember which ones). I tried them but didn't like them very much so didn't buy anymore.

Don't Infinity sell them?

no, i'm pretty sure i've never seen them in Infinity.