Thread: Pokemon - against our way of life?

Linda 1961

Default Pokemon - against our way of life?

Hello friends, My name is Linda Roth and all my life I've been a dedicated vegan but now I'm also a mother of the cutest little boy on Earth, His name is Leon [Lil' Lee] and he's 5 1/2 years old...Let's just say he's my entire world!

From the 1st week after birth I knew he was a very bright and curious young boy, He always wanted to learn new stuff especially about animals. As he got older like any normal little boy he got into video games.....I feel these things are a danger to the mind but I thought he needed some form of entertainment. Soon after he got into a video game named Pokemon, I don't know anything about these gosh darned electronic gizmos but one day out the corner of my eye I saw on the television a creature that looked like a small orange dog by the name of 'Growling' breath fire and the next sequence showed a cow creature getting burned I believe the name for this creature is 'Milktang'. The first think I thought was the dog was actually trying to cook the cow and this almost caused me to faint, I've been raising my son as vegan and this went against everything I've lived for so I immediately snatched the game device out of his hand and shut up the televison and console system.

After witnessing this, I hopped onto my home computer entertainment station and did some extensive internetting and found that pokemon is a very dangerous video console game and must be watched very closely by any concerned vegan parent.
    There are actual tasks in the console games of slaying cows,goats,birds, and seals and bringing their blood to the devil pokemon and it's Master Farmer I believe the name of this creature is a 'Honda'

Closing....I urge you all to boycott this game immediatly.
    Please tell of any experiences with this games.

Default Re: Pokemon, Against our way of life?

Quote Linda 1961
    There are actual tasks in the console games of slaying cows,goats,birds, and seals
    Before I comment further, can I ask which game you are referring to? Pokemon Gale of Darkness has an over 12 rating, so I wouldn't be suprised if it isn't suitable for under 6s.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I did play the original Pokemon Gameboy game many years ago. I was a big fan of Zelda on the Gameboy, and it seemed superficially similar. It is a very disturbing concept.

The whole world of Pokemon is very far from being acceptable for a vegan.

The point is to collect rare creatures (and their eggs!!!!).

Creatures can develop and evolve by gaining experience. This they do by fighting and defeating other creatures. This is generally done at the behest of the human captors of the creatures. They challenge each other and pit their creatures against each other until one has no more conscious creatures left, at which point the other is the victor.

In it's original card game form it is presumably less like that, but in the computer version and the tv series, it really does have some appalling concepts packaged up in it.

Don't get me started on computer games!!!! Bring back Pacman!

PS. Welcome, Linda!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Pacman? trying to chomp as many pills as you can whilst listening to repetitive music? I didn't know that was your scene

Ah, but he gobbles up fruit too! Anyway, they're not pills, they're dots!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

micro dots?

i always thought they were bubbles?!?!?
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Limey

Default Re: Pokemon - against our way of life?

If I had kids, I'm not so sure I would let them play video games at all, especially at that age. Just where I stand on it, not telling anyone else how to raise their children.

And I always thought of those Pacman dots as the Dots you got on the paper you got to peel off and eat. Dots candy! Nothing like eating scraps of paper with your hardened sugar.

Quote Mr Flibble
    micro dots?
    You know what micro dots are??!!!

Oh dear, seems I do too.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Quote veganblue
    You know what micro dots are??!!!
    Why is that surprising? Doesn't Mr F know everything? (well apart from the difference between sadism and masochism )
    - Theodore Roosevelt

This mail has set my troll alarm off. I mean, who says things like 'gosh darned electronic gizmos' and 'I hopped onto my home computer entertainment station and did some extensive internetting' ???

On the whole it reads like something designed to get vegans all hot under the collar, for someone else's amusement.

Also, does the 'snatching the game device' part not strike anyone as odd? If this is real, it's not the kids fault. Unless he bought the game himself, which at 5 1/2, I doubt. I'm kinda surprised no one commented on that, if the replies so far are taking this thing to be real. That must be one confused/frightened kid.
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

Limey

Quote wilson
    This mail has set my troll alarm off. I mean, who says things like 'gosh darned electronic gizmos' and 'I hopped onto my home computer entertainment station and did some extensive internetting' ???

On the whole it reads like something designed to get vegans all hot under the collar, for someone else's amusement.

Also, does the 'snatching the game device' part not strike anyone as odd? If this is real, it's not the kids fault. Unless he bought the game himself, which at 5 1/2, I doubt. I'm kinda surprised no one commented on that, if the replies so far are taking this thing to be real. That must be one confused/frightened kid.
    I was thinking the same thing, Wilson. I just usually ignore it. So I did a general repsonse.
    Love trolls.

It did seem odd, but I thought it had a point.

But wouldn't that be pointless? Why would we get wound up about a post like that? Although her profile does appear a little strange I have to say.

Well, Linda, are you coming back to tell us???

Edit...what happened to Russ' post?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Russ

I think it was just funny. Not really funny, but a bit funny. It didn't warrant the length of the original post.

Russ

And dammit, no kid should be deprived of video games. They're far more entertaining and stimulating than television. I played tons of video games in years gone by and I'm completely norm#';][;[#';

Quote Russ
    I'm completely norm#'
    You just keep telling yourself that, Russ . Interestingly, I never played any video games, and I'm a complete headcase.

Quote RedWellies
    Don't get me started on computer games!!!! Bring back Pacman!

PS. Welcome, Linda!
    and chucky egg!
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

Pilaf

I'm a long term Poke'mon player and fan of the anime.

Ummm...I can honestly say I've never had any interest in Pokemon. But I agree with you, children can be influenced because they are younger and their still developing mentally. So you did the right thing! Give your child fun, educational games. I also agree with Russ though, I played alot of video games when I was younger although I've never played any depicting animal violence but I have played violent video games and I also turned out okay.

I think these should be okay, but Sponge Bob Square Pants has a good game out, and also Mario Kart Racing should be okay. You can always ask the retailer from the store their own personal opinion, check the package contents and also play the game and see if it meets your criteria.

Just some idea's, hope I helped!
    ▼Laurin▼

Those little squares are smores, hence Pac Man saying "BUY SMORES BUY SMORES!"
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I love the pokemon games, of course I’m old enough to know you shouldn’t fight real animals, and that pokemon in the game is milktank, it’s a really cute cow pokemon and pretty bad ass once it gets that roll out move going. I like the pokemon game because the pokemon are so cute and you can give them names. But anyway at younger ages kids like to mimic things on TV, video games, even teenagers do that sometimes. Also talking about video games and veganism any of y’all ever played harvest moon? You get to be a farmer there, you can milk your cows brush em play with the chickens you have a dog you raise crops. Of course you don’t slaughter the cows or chickens for meat. I guess it’s not vegan because you sell the chicken eggs they leave and you sell the cow milk. But I still like to play it… BUT that harvest moon game wouldn’t be good for younger kids you would be raising vegan because they would think the milk and eggs come from farmers who take better care of the cows and chickens than most actually are.
    Chickens.

Pilaf

So you did the right thing! Give your child fun, educational games.
    Poke'mon is a very educational game. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the battle system in the game is very complicated and based on a really evolved version of paper/rock/scissors. Poke'mon is a game which requires a certain degree of strategizing and cognitive reasoning. For instance, the Poke'mon you choose could mean the difference between victory or defeat. You have to use type advantages. (Water beats Rock, for instance, but Electric type is weak against Rock. As newer games come out, more and more types are thrown into the mix, and it gets more complicated. AND since you can face up to a team of six Poke'mon under one trainer opponent, you usually have to be careful to pick a team which can take on any combination of Poke'mon. This is why the game is considered easy to pick up but hard to master. I'm 21 years old and sometimes struggle with it.)

It was once shown in at least one study that kids who played Poke'mon scored better on certain intelligence tests than those who did not, partly in due to the enhanced brain development from playing this game. It's really a mental exercise. Even I, as an adult, have to be really careful when I'm playing. It's not an easy game at all and requires some brain power.

So don't be fooled..this game is not mindless violence. It's almost like a puzzle game. There's that much strategy. Any kid would be better off playing Poke'mon than Spongebob Racing, as far as brain development goes, I'll tell ya that much.

Quote Vegan cat
    and chucky egg!
    Chuckie Egg has been brought back

Quote Pilaf
    I'm a long term Poke'mon player and fan of the anime.
    Even at my advanced age... (30 ) I still liked the Pokemon anime of a few years back.

I don't think that it encouraged gratuitous violence - nothing ever died that I noticed. The creatures were able to be kept in a digital form in Pokeballs - and kids can tell the difference between real and virtual.

Looking into it a bit deeper; the good characters encouraged looking after their pokemon and developed strong bonds; suffering in kind and sometimes risking themselves to avoid their pokemon getting hurt.

Since in the story it was in the nature of pokemon to challenge each other - and there was no killing; only strategic games matching or counter acting opponents based upon strengths and weaknesses, I think that some of the larger messages were actually very good.

I don't think that children are as naturally inclined to see the ''bad'' in things as adults are - but when they do - they know that it is ''bad'' and to be avoided.

Just some thoughts.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Pilaf

I agree completely. When a person examines the anime or even the storyline of the games, they see that the good characterd always encourage you to take good care of your Poke'mon. Heck, in the newer games, they even "evolve" into stronger forms when you get the proper care and friendship ratings high enough.

In contrast, the villains of the series often think of their Poke'mon animals as tools to be used and exploited for money or power. So in a way, Poke'mon teaches some core elements of animal rights and equality by painting people who wanna imprison and abuse animals as evil, and people who befriend them as good.

About video games influencing kids..please. Don't let the political alarmists brainwash you. It's a scapegoat, just like tv used to be, and radio before that. That's all it is. With proper parenting, kids will learn the difference between what's real and what's on tv, or in music or video games, or anything else.

Quote Pob
    Chuckie Egg has been brought back

Really - when, Where???

Omg I used to love that game!
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

Well I did a pretty faithful rewrite - available here: http://www.auce18.dsl.pipex.com/chuckie.zip

Comes with new graphics, an alternate set of levels and a simple built in level editor.

There are a couple of other remakes around, too, some more faithful than others.

[/pimp mode]

I love Pokemon! I just bought a Nintendo DS so I could play the new games!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Pob
    Well I did a pretty faithful rewrite - available here: http://www.auce18.dsl.pipex.com/chuckie.zip

Comes with new graphics, an alternate set of levels and a simple built in level editor.

There are a couple of other remakes around, too, some more faithful than others.

[/pimp mode]

wow you made that!

THNX , I am going to playing for hours

Quote Pob

[/pimp mode]
    wow, superb, Pob! Brings back memories of my old ZX Spectrum days.

Glad that some good came out of this blatant troll thread
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash