Thread: Wild Boar

Default Wild Boar

I noticed some large cage "traps" in the woods near me. I spoke to the local ranger for the Forestry Commission (who own the woods) and he said they were trying to trap the female boar. Apparently, a department of the government (similar to DEFRA I believe) wants to find out more about the fertility of these animals. I told the man that the boar here are definitely fertile as they have had young this year. He already knew as he had seen several. He said that the organisation doing the study thought that the boar may be allowed to have a status similar to deer, in that they may be culled at certain times but for the main part will be left alone.

Obviously this is not excellent news but I was quite heartened by the fact they were not being trapped to be killed and that there is a good chance they will be left alone.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Wild Boar

Why do they have to interfere at all.

Why can't they just leave them be?

Why does Defra think it has to play God and manage everything. Wildlife will get on much better once we are all gone and it is left the hell alone

Sorry, I'm ranting I guess, I watched the badger stuff on Countryfile earlier

VeganJohn

Whenever I have watched Countryfile I have wanted to smash up the TV - I remember just before the hunt ban they had some farmer on justifying their love of hunting by saying their chickens are all free range

Why can't there be a show called 'VegFile' on instead?

sugarmouse

I always assume the worst! but yes we should just leave them alone.How do we know how it affects an animals usual life to be trapped and frightened like that?
    I saw wild boar pate in a farm shop the other day..made me sad.suppose imslightly desensitised to the usual meat products,when i see unusual ones for some reason it seems worse..if that makes sense

I watched that bit of Countryfile, it was the first thing I saw when I came downstairs from my lie in and put me in a bad mood for quite a bit of the day.

Monday x

More news on my local wild boar. It appears that they are going to be given some sort of contraceptive. I guess they'll have to be caught first because putting something in food would be too irresponsible. It's unrealistic to hope the powers that be would leave them alone but at least they are not being killed so I'm quite pleased. I still haven't seen them but I see their foot prints and wallows
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt