Thread: Visiting a herbalist

Default Visiting a herbalist

i've booked an appointment with a herbalist next week and don't really know what to expect. has anyone had treatment from a herbalist, and could they share their experiences? thanks
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I went to a naturapath once - I think it is a different thing, but I found that he told me all this stuff was wrong with me (like I can't have wheat) and sold me all this stuff that cost heaps and didn't do a thing. He introduced me to quinoa which is good coz it is yummy, but I don't have a problem eating wheat and the other problems he 'diagnosed' me with were bulls**t!!!!

Just be skeptical if they try to sell you a whole bunch of stuff!!!!

wuggy

I think 'alternative' therapies are essential if we are to reduce animal suffering, but unfortunately there are lots of con artists out there, who are just after your cash. I'm sure most believe in what they are doing, but you need to be informed yourself first, and you are the one who knows your body/mind the best.
    I haven't been to a herbalist, but use herbs myself, with the aid of some good books.
    Let us know how it goes!

I don't see how alternative therapies reduce animal suffering - doesn't everything have to be tested anyway? Be careful with herbs wuggy, 'herbs' sounds innocent, but there are many common herbs that react adversely when taking other medication.
    Eve

wuggy

It is much easier to buy alternative remedies from ethical sources than it is to find ethically produced drugs.
    I am careful with herbs, I have spent years studying their uses, but it worries me that people don't, before using them.
    Also, I was thinking more about the accupuncture/chiropractor/reiki lines when talking about alternative therapies. These therapies work to heal the whole person, instead of just masking the symptoms with drugs churned out by the vivisectors, thus reducing (potentially!) animal and human suffering.

the reason why i'm going to a herbalist is because i don't believe the medicines they provide are tested on animals, and they're usually in their pure plant form so don't have any added animal ingredients. i have a few health problems that regular medicine has failed to treat successfully so i don't want to carry on giving my money to evil drug companies.

i think i'm also going to a reputable clinic as they are well-known in my local area and have been recommended in my local newspaper. they told me their fee in advance which is hopefully a good sign!

thanks for your comments i will share my experiences with everyone!

ConsciousCuisine

I am a Master Herbalist (that is the title bestowed upon me upon completion of my training and internships...not "MY" wording). I am also a Reiki Master, Nationally Certified Massage Therapist and Integrated Somatic Therapist. My daughter, my partner, myself, all my many clients do not get colds, flu, or other illnesses. Why? I encourage and educate as to proper diet, the right herbal treatments and therapies FOR THE INDIVIDUAL, based on their lifestyle, constitution, habits, hereditary factors and more. Truly customized treatments are superior.

Good for you for going the natural route! It will likely be an amazing experience! Keep in mind that most all medicines are derived from natural herbas and substances and Natural Healers and Herbalists are what kept our civilization going for ages...

Blessings...

thanks CC, i had a feeling you were some sort of herbalist as well as nutritional expert

is it the case in America, that herbal medicines don't have to be tested on animals? i read an article in a UK newspaper yesterday that they're considering 'proper' testing for herbal remedies that people can buy in shops, because apparently many people self-medicate with herbs and don't know the supposed risks. it really would be a shame if they decide to test them on animals

of course as you say the individually tailored plan of diet and herbs is the best way. but consulting a herbalist is expensive, so many people who want to try an alternative route have little chioce but to buy packaged herbs in shops. i wish this weren't the case but doctors seem pretty opposed to natural medicine. i've been saving up so that i can afford to see someone who will hopefully be on the same wavelength as me (i don't have health insurance, like most people in the UK, and don't know if it would even cover herbalist treatment anyway).

Gorilla, I hope you find what you're looking for. Like CC, I also don't get colds and flu etc, and have never had a flu injection. However, neither have I ever been to a herbalist. This may be of interest to you as I did once have some ill effects from herbs:http://www.pulsemed.org/drugherb.htm
    Eve

thanks for that link Eve, that's an interesting and informative website. luckily i knew about possible interactions of the herbs i bought myself and managed to avoid any risky combinations. but i agree it is a problem and something more people should be aware of when buying herbs without professional advice.

i haven't had any colds or flu since being vegan, but it's only been about a year, i've got my second vegan winter coming up which should be a good test! i'm trying herbs for some more long-term health issues which have yet to be solved either by conventional medicine or by self-medicating with herbs.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

CC, what kind of education does one need in order to become an herbalist?

ConsciousCuisine

Quote eve
    Gorilla, I hope you find what you're looking for. Like CC, I also don't get colds and flu etc, and have never had a flu injection. However, neither have I ever been to a herbalist. This may be of interest to you as I did once have some ill effects from herbs:http://www.pulsemed.org/drugherb.htm
    Eve, that's so great that you can thrive without natural or pharmaceutical medicines or herbal remedies!

Most of my clients, however, come to me looking to keep or get healthy and also are dealing with with diabetes or other ailments and so are looking to find natural remedies that harmonize and balance the system to the point where drugs are no longer necessary. I work closely with their Doctors if they have them, and never claim that I am a Doctor or that my care can replace a Doctors' care. At the same time, some clients cannot afford a Medical Doctor and so I help them as I can as well. I have seen the need for insulin, blood pressure medicine and cholestorol-lowering drugs disappear when the proper diet and herbs are employed, along with the implementing of a holistic lifestyle. I have seen cancer and other tumors leave the body completely. I have seen allergies disappear. That is the beauty of properly-applied natural therapies and the bodys' amazing ability to truly heal itself when allowed to do so, unemcumbered by allopathic symptom-treating.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Kiva Dancer
    CC, what kind of education does one need in order to become an herbalist?

There are different ways one can become an Herbalist. There are great schools for training, apprenticeships and Holistic Health Practitioner trainings. For some, it has been a way of life since childhood...Are you interested in training?

Whilst I think it would involve a lot of hard work, I think being a herbalist would probably be an incredibly rewarding job. Perhaps some herbalists wouldn't even call it a job!

CC, the point you had made was about colds and flu etc - I didn't say that I "thrive without natural or pharmaceutical medicines or herbal remedies". There are a two inherited conditions that are kept under control with two medications, and I hardly ever give them a thought, other than to have an annual checkup, and find that all is well. Only yesterday at the swimming pool, one of the chaps who has recently had a knee op, and was still in pain, commented that it was his age. As I'm a good 15 years older than he is, another swimmer said that although I'm the oldest one in our swimming group, I'm the healthiest! It brought the conversation round to my lifestyle, as they all know that I'm vegan, so that felt good.
    Eve

wuggy

I have always used herbs intuitively (but I do always double-check my intuition when starting with a new herb!).
    I really feel strongly that, as an anti-vivisectionist, I should be doing what I can to offer a different approach to health, so I will be doing an official study course very soon, and when I move I intend to practise holistic medicine part-time. (As my permaculture will take up the rest of my time!).

Good for you wuggy! That's great!

Thumbs up So i went to the herbalist today....

i went to see the herbalist today. the clinic was very small and friendly, they do all sorts of alternative therapies there like acupuncture, shiatsu, nutrional therapy etc.

the lady i saw was really nice and understanding, she just let me tell her all my problems and asked me questions where necessary, taking loads of notes along the way. she said she wanted to treat my mind and body as a whole, which is what i hoped she'd say, instead of with conventional medicine where they just mask the symptoms.

the whole appointment took an hour and a half and at the end she gave me a big bottle of liquid to take three times a day before meals. she said it won't help immediately but i should be able to feel inside that i'm taking something wholesome and nutritious. i'm going back in a month and she said i can phone her before then if i need to ask any questions or need some extra help.

haven't had any of the medicine yet, it smells weird - kind of nice and horrible at the same time! will update when i've been taking it for a while!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Eve, that's so great that you can thrive without natural or pharmaceutical medicines or herbal remedies!

Most of my clients, however, come to me looking to keep or get healthy and also are dealing with with diabetes or other ailments and so are looking to find natural remedies that harmonize and balance the system to the point where drugs are no longer necessary. I work closely with their Doctors if they have them, and never claim that I am a Doctor or that my care can replace a Doctors' care. At the same time, some clients cannot afford a Medical Doctor and so I help them as I can as well. I have seen the need for insulin, blood pressure medicine and cholestorol-lowering drugs disappear when the proper diet and herbs are employed, along with the implementing of a holistic lifestyle. I have seen cancer and other tumors leave the body completely. I have seen allergies disappear. That is the beauty of properly-applied natural therapies and the bodys' amazing ability to truly heal itself when allowed to do so, unemcumbered by allopathic symptom-treating.
    Wow CC! I wish I would've known you long ago! My uncle lived in San Diego and suffered from AIDS. (Which he died from a few years ago. ) He tried a lot of different therapies (as well as being a guinea pig for new drugs.) I think he pretty much ate a vegan diet the last part of his life. I know he gave up red meat and coffee and made his own bread. He made me a wonderful asparagus soup the last time I saw him. Now it's my comfort food. Ok, so this was really off topic, but I wanted to share and think what you're doing for these people is incredible CC! I wish my job was as rewarding!

sorry to hear about your uncle uww. i too wish my job was more worthwhile.

i've been taking my herbal medicine for almost a week now, and i was wondering if CC or anybody knows, it's very bitter and has a small amount of alcohol in it which i find difficult to take especially in the morning (i was told to take it twice a day). it's a liquid which has to be diluted in warm water and drank before meals.

is there anything i can do to make it easier to take, or do i just have to grin and bear it? it's making me feel quite queasy.

thanks for any help

ConsciousCuisine

Quote uww27225
    Wow CC! I wish I would've known you long ago! My uncle lived in San Diego and suffered from AIDS. (Which he died from a few years ago. ) He tried a lot of different therapies (as well as being a guinea pig for new drugs.) I think he pretty much ate a vegan diet the last part of his life. I know he gave up red meat and coffee and made his own bread. He made me a wonderful asparagus soup the last time I saw him. Now it's my comfort food. Ok, so this was really off topic, but I wanted to share and think what you're doing for these people is incredible CC! I wish my job was as rewarding!

Thanks! I wish I had known him as well. I am glad you have a soup that reminds you of him I am really plugged-in to the resources for those living with HIV/AIDS here in San Diego. There are many great programs, even a Holistic Aids Response Program where people can get services, free of charge, such as massage, acupuncture, herbalism, chiropractic and hands on healing.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Gorilla
    sorry to hear about your uncle uww. i too wish my job was more worthwhile.

i've been taking my herbal medicine for almost a week now, and i was wondering if CC or anybody knows, it's very bitter and has a small amount of alcohol in it which i find difficult to take especially in the morning (i was told to take it twice a day). it's a liquid which has to be diluted in warm water and drank before meals.

is there anything i can do to make it easier to take, or do i just have to grin and bear it? it's making me feel quite queasy.

thanks for any help

Can you tell me what it is called or what herbs are in it?
    How long does the queasiness last?
    Was it given as a general tonic, to build blood or detoxify?
    Were you instructed to take it on an empty stomach or with food?

sorry CC, i have no idea what it's called or what's in it. it's supposed to help with hormone balancing, as well as renewing the nervous system and building energy.

i have to drink it before meals, and especially in the morning the alcohol burns my throat, that and the bitter taste make me feel sick and it doesn't go away until i've eaten something and the food starts to settle.

i guess i should just ask the herbalist i saw, but she only works one day a week so i haven't had a chance to phone her yet.

ConsciousCuisine

Definetly let me know what you find out after speaking with her. Also, tell her whtat you are experiencing and see what she has to offer.

Blessings!