Thread: Adez / Unilever

Default Adez / Unilever

Has anyone else noticed a new juice/soya milk thingy in supermarkets called Adez? Morrisons are currently flogging it off cheap. It has no mention of vegan on either the packaging or the leaflet by the shelf, but according to the website it is vegan.

Personally Unilever have been on my boycott list for the past 7 years and I shalln't be buying this, but it is interesting that they would choose to launch such a product (their first major new product in 12 years according to them). It can only be a good thing that companies with such a large distribution channel are seeing the potential in and helping bring vegan/soya products to the mainstream.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Adez / Unilever

I heard about this on another site i post on but as soon as it was mentioned it was made by Unilever i lost all interest. I havent actaully seen it in the shops myself yet.

paulvegan

thanks ive seen it advertised and taken no notice of it, didnt no it was unilever"Washes whiter". thanks i wont be buying it.

Do you care if the soya is GM? The big companies are into GM. Is it GM, I don't buy anythiing containing GM ingredients. Unilever tests on animals too.
    I haven't seen it either.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Goodness, I feel like I'm pimping this even thou I've already stated I boycott Unilever and their products

From their website (link in first post):

A lot of people worry about the genetic modification (GM) of food products. Especially soya. We want everyone to enjoy AdeZ - worry-free! After all, too much stress isn't healthy. So we made sure that the soya we use is guaranteed non-GM. For your - and our - peace of mind

Mr F as a pimp, well!!

I tried this at a friend's house (didn't know who made it at the time, just that it was vegan). It was quite nice. And you're right, Mr Flibble, it is an interesting step for them.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

paulvegan

Quote herbwormwood
    Do you care if the soya is GM? The big companies are into GM. Is it GM, I don't buy anythiing containing GM ingredients. Unilever tests on animals too.
    I haven't seen it either.
    it is gm free,

it the trend for large scummy companies to to get involved with products like this,ie the body shop/l'oreal, nestle try to buy or have brought green and blacks , also they are meant to be or going to suplie the co-op all there own brand chocolate .
    its a way for big companies to get all the market buying there products,burger places having veggie burgers etc.

Quote paulvegan
    nestle try to buy or have brought green and blacks ,
    As far as I'm aware, Cadburys own G and B's.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

paulvegan

but i did say are trying to.

Good sperm

You know what Mr F? I saw these Adez adverts in the underground as was curious as to what size of company would be able to afford marketing a soya product so much. I then found a carton, saw the word Unilever and thought of you. I actually thought to myself 'shall I start a thread warning others about this? Nah, Flibble will do it soon enough'.

Creepy.

Quote paulvegan
    but i did say are trying to.
    OK, I didn't know they are (hope I didn't upset you?)...(ooohh, off topic! Sorry Mr F!)
    - Theodore Roosevelt

i didnt know it was made by Unilever ive been drinking this from my local shop booths! sorry wont be anymore...

You could write to them to tell them why...

Quote scruffyhead
    i didnt know it was made by Unilever ive been drinking this from my local shop booths! sorry wont be anymore...
    I have bought it to. Only noticed the other day who it was made by I should read the whole carton not just whats in it in future.

Default Adez soya/fruit drink

http://www.adez.com/

Just noticed this stuff advertised. Apparently it's sold in most or all supermarkets in the UK now. I'm going to look out for it next time I'm out. It's got the same amount of calcium as milk although unfortunately not vitamin D, plus B6, vit. C and magnesium. I haven't been keen on the soya drinks I've tried so far so I'm hopeful about this one. It must be decent tasting or I don't suppose it would be mainstream.
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 6th, 2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: This was the 1st post in a similar thread.
    Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.
    ~ William James

It is but as it's a Unilever product, I think some people won't buy it. I think it was mentioned on another thread recently (sorry, can't remember which one!)

Edit...those mods are quick today!!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Hmph, the search feature didn't bring this thread up...

I didn't know it was from Unilever. Shame. Still, it's good that they're moving in this direction.
    Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.
    ~ William James

At the risk of everyone coming down on me like a ton of bricks, I sort of feel you should encourage big companies when they make anything that's vegan. I feel it would show them the right way to go, it's a bit like the conflict over here. We all had to agree to something we didn't really feel totally happy with in order to get peace, sometimes it's a means to an end.

This one looks like a good target to put leaflets next to in the shop explaining what unilever does. Lets face it theres plenty of other soya milk and fruit juice out there that is easily available that people can switch to (it's not that hard to mix a bit of soya milk and fruit juice at home ).

Trom

Yes, this is true, but don't you think that sometimes people have to be encouraged to do what's right? For years over here one lot of politicians wouldn't talk to another so nothing got done. We can certainly let these companies know that we don't like what they do, but try aswell to work towards changing their methods.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd rather support a smaller company that doesn't test on animals. Can you imagine if Alpro (or whoever makes it) went out of business because Unilever came to dominate the soya market?

Yes, I agree, I say support the smaller companies first, I'm fully behind those companies who don't test, but all I'm saying is, try to encourage those ones that are showing some movement towards what we want. Much as I would hate showing any leniency towards companies like Unilever, I shudder even typing their name, but if it gets what we want in the long run, I think it's worth it. Maybe, I'm only seeing things from my own experience of life over here, but if I thought I had to dance with the Devil to stop companies like Unilever, I would do it.

when i went to the isle of wight festival they were giving free samples of this away, and i loved it i am not a fan of soyamilk so it was good for me to drink, and since then had been buying it.

I gave some to some vegan friends to try and the first question they asked was who makes it, i hadn't even looked

Ii is real shame and haven't bought any since.
    I dont get crunchy people?

paulvegan

i know some vegans who brought it,till the voice of doom(me) told them who made it.

There is a topic about mainstreaming and boycotting in the forum already Lots on this x

It seems to be pretty heavily marketed, I was given some free in Leeds city centre... but I thought it was very synthetic tasting & full of sugar (I don't know if it is... just tasted like it to me)

my (vegan too) husband bought some last week - but when he took it out of the fridge to have some he noticed it said on the carton - NOT suitable for vegetarians !!! what does this have in it - we couldn't figure it out...?

Still not tried and have no intention of doing so (for reasons stated at the start of the thread). The website however says this:

They sure can drink our Mango & Apricot, Pineapple & Passionfruit and Orange & Peach variants! These variants of AdeZ Fruit Juice & Soya drink are a great addition to a vegetarian diet. First of all, they are plant-based drinks. All our vegan friends will especially appreciate the 2.7g of soya protein in every 250ml serving. And it's a great source of calcium, too!

Unfortunately the Blackcurrant & Raspberry variant is not suitable for vegetarians at the moment, as it contains a red colour that is not plant-based. The good news is that its natural and we don't then have to put in any artificial colours, but of course we are working very hard to find a natural solution that will also satisfy our vegetarian drinkers! We will keep you posted.

What's natural about crushing large quantities of insects for colouring?

thank you - we threw it away without opening it - so it's cochineal or something - how stupid!

Could you not have returned it to the shop if it was unopened?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I thought there was something rather fishy about this stuff, when the paper I used to work for started plugging it for a week - offering freebies to folk who went into a shop with a voucher.

It's usually the case that only the bigger companies can afford promotion this way... especially as it won't just be in the one newspaper within a large group.

The sheep in my department seemed to love it.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Unhappy Re: Adez / Unilever

Quote RedWellies View Post
    Could you not have returned it to the shop if it was unopened?
    From Sainsburys I think - no receipt etc... a waste I know!

For hygeine reasons they don't let you return chilled/frozen things for refund beyond a certain number of minutes.

BlackCats

I have told a lot of people about crushing insects to get a colouring and they have not known at all about it. It is so primitive it reminds me of the way they use the animals in The Flintstones.

I actually broke my unilever boycott the other day because I had the most severe cravings for marmite, is there a vegan/ethical alternative to this does anybody know?

I was just about to say I'd rather die than buy Unilever and anyway Corum has banned their products from the house when I saw the marmite post - GOD NOOOOOOOOO!!! TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE I love marmite and eat it all the time, I had no idea it was Unilever
    What is a decent alternative cos I'm never buying it again
    Silent but deadly :p

Having just posted that you hate MSG and salt you should probably also know that marmite contains 2% MSG and loads of salt - way more than in most preprepared food

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Marmite

I know - I should add that I very rarely eat it these days but very occasionally use one teaspoon in homemade stock as none of my food has salt in and we do need a small amount of salt to survive - as I found out when my legs went into cramp spasms
    I'm not perfect....but I do try hard
    Silent but deadly :p

i switched to Meridian yeast extract when i found Marmite was owned by Unilever in the UK. it's pretty good.

i haven't bought any of this Adez stuff and i'm not going to either because apart from anything else it doesn't even sound very nice to me.

Just another interesting article about Unilever.

Did anyone else not know what "squalene" is?

Oh, Jesus H. Christ:
    http://cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredi...266&nothanks=1

It's shark liver oil...

and no, i never knew. I'd never have bought anything with it in anyway, simply because i didn't know what it was!

Gross isn't it! People actually rub animal's liver oil into their faces. And they don't even know it. I wonder how many of them would continue to do it, if they knew what it was.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    I know - I should add that I very rarely eat it these days but very occasionally use one teaspoon in homemade stock as none of my food has salt in and we do need a small amount of salt to survive - as I found out when my legs went into cramp spasms
    I'm not perfect....but I do try hard
    I know this is an old post, but ... you could try using a spoonful of miso paste in stock instead of marmite.

i know this in an addition to an acknowledged reply to an old post, but i use meridian brand yeast extract. It's good stuff.

I have tried Adez in the past but found it way too sweet so stopped buying it. Unilever is banned from my part of the house and I'm trying to educate my omni housemate that they test her "shit" on fluffy lickle babies like my kitten. It just never seems to stick! However I wasn't aware that it was made by Unilever. I wonder how many vegans are supporting this cruel company and don't even know it?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

RebeccaDye

I had the most severe cravings for marmite, is there a vegan/ethical alternative to this does anybody know?
    I buy a brand called Daily Bread Co-operative which is just from a health food shop so you could try and find something similar.
    That reminds me, I need to wash out an old marmite squeezy pot and put mine in.
    Squeezy "marmite"