Thread: Is Soya poisoning us?

Unhappy Is Soya poisoning us?

I have recently been talking to one of my friends who is a nurse and a dedicated omni. He is supportive of my choice to be vegan, and wondered if i had heard about an article in the Guardian newspaper about the bad side affects linked to eating soya. I thought he was being slanderous but with an air of curiosity i felt obliged to follow up this claim and check it out.

To my horror the article in question went a lot deeper than i imagined. I had heard of the problems with the deforestaion of south America, but i wasnt prepared for such an extensive list of side affects, from low fertility to certain types of cancer.

The article was too detailed for me to go into all here but i strongly recommend anyone who hasn't heard or read anything about this side of the argument to have a look.

It would be nice to get some reassurance

Default Re: Is Soya poisoning us?

Have you got a link you can put up?

I have never worried about the side effects fo soya. I would be interested to know who researched this.
    They put soya in lots of things including meat so your friend isnt so safe himself if he believes it.

Reassurance umm i have been drinking soya for 12 years and eating it all my life and i have two kids, no horrible side effects and everything is in tact

I think it's probably like everything else. Some is OK, too much is not! Personally, I get stomach ache if I eat it. I can cope with a little in my diet but not too much. Seems like everything gives us cancer these days
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote puffin
    Have you got a link you can put up?
    Is this it?

I don't know how to link things, but i just typed " is soya bad? " into google and it turned up a lot of pages. The one in the observer was quite a well rounded article.

I know everything gives you cancer now adays, but it makes you think. With the global explosion of soya production and the amount of money that drives the industry the information we are fed is all about marketing.

Read the article and we can have a chat about it.

Hi, some vegans use soy, others don't. We are disucssing soy here...
    Is soya bad for your health?

( - and in many other threads too. )

FR

A good number of anti-soy research studies are funded by the meat and dairy industries. They feel threatened, thus they help to propagate these stories. There are lots of posts on this forum with regards to the soy *good for you - bad for you* debate. Look at all sides of the story, and then decide who is telling the truth.

As John Robbins points out in his book, The Food Revolution, a lot of deforestation occurring in the tropical areas of our planet is due to raising factory farm animals, not growing soy.