Thread: Non-brutal DVD's for kids

Default Non-brutal DVD's for kids

I was reading the Swedish childrens cartoon magazine Bamse for my son yesterday, - which is full of pro-veg*n ideas (elephants are not supposed to suffer in circuses, fish isn't meant for fishing etc) - which reminded me about how much brutality and violence one can find in other media for children, especially movies.

Who knows about nice DVD's for circa 5 year old kids who doesn't contain all the standard Disneyish brutality? Any good suggestions?

Default Re: Non-brutal DVD's for kids

Hmm, that's a difficult one. Semi-off topic I've been impressed how much infant stuff is non-violent since the creation of the Teletubbies.

I used to love the Clangers. Little mice living on a planet in space. A classic BBC series from the Seventies. There are also things like Paddington Bear, Thomas the Tank Engine, etc. Might be a bit dated though by today's standards, but they are very gentle, child-friendly entertainment.

Hmm...

*checks play.com*

WOW!!!!!! You can get Paddington on DVD

Quote fiamma
    I used to love the Clangers.
    I adored the Clangers!! There's also Mr Ben, is that available on DVD? I loved that too (don't think he went/did anything non-vegan, did he?) And Bagpuss.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote vegandrummersam
    WOW!!!!!! You can get Paddington on DVD
    And marmalade sandwiches are vegan

I have the rent-a-ghost DVD, it's excellent

Oh, Cherry, I liked that too!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Limey

Charlie and Lola. Very good, very sweet and innocent. Not sure if the DVD's are available anywhere but the UK, though.

www.charlieandlola.com

*edit* not sure about it containing much pro-veggie or veganism, though. Sorry

Quote Limey
    Charlie and Lola. Very good, very sweet and innocent. Not sure if the DVD's are available anywhere but the UK, though.

www.charlieandlola.com

*edit* not sure about it containing much pro-veggie or veganism, though. Sorry
    I used to read those stories to my son. He is 9 now so a little old now. I cant wait till my little one enjoys me reading to him, he just shuts the book on me at the moment

Korn,
    There is a company called Raven Moon http://www.ravenmoon.net that does a series called Gina D's Kids Club. It is geared for 3-5 year olds. They have a small online store but they seem to be adding more products.

Here is a link to the DVD's. I'm not sure if they are available international or not. It is being aired in the US on public broadcast and I can also get it on Christian Television via satellite.

https://www.ginadskidsclub.com/catal...b8ca6bef7ed0ce

They have a lot of singing and different characters. I did watch one of the shows that was about nutrition or being healthy. They did reference drinking milk. I cringed through that but overall I think the show is great for kids.

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

Quiet Vegan

We don't have children but I'd like to suggest "Paul McCartney: The Music and Animation Collection" DVD.
    It has 3 cartoons on it - Tropical Island Hum, Tuesday and Rubert & The Frog Song.
    The first cartoon is the best, here's what the insert says...

It tells the story of Wirral the Squirrel and his encounter with the eccentric Froggo and his fabulous air balloon. When Wirral's homeland is destroyed by ruthless humans, he is saved by the heroic frog, who takes him to a tropical island where he meets and falls in love with the very lovely Wilhemina. A whole host of characters are introduced inthis charming and vibrant work, including Chief Bison, who is the leader of the wild animals that have sought sanctuary in the "Tropical Island Hum"...

Another film that pulled me towards environmental issues when I was a kid is Fern Gully, you've probably heard of that one!

Anyway, hope that helps somewhat

Bambi was anti-hunting and was aimed at a child audience

"Charlotte's Web" - a spider saves her pig friend from being sent to slaughter.

"Milo & Otis" a story about a cat and dog who are best friends. No humans in the movie.

"101 Dalmations" it is disney, but its about a family of dalmation dogs, and the evil character in the movie is a woman who wears fur and wants to make a coat out of them.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

KezUK

Tots TV!!!! It was one of the few modern kids programmes I actually enjoyed watching with my sons. Thinking about it, it's probably about 12 years old now. We've got Catweazle on DVD, anyone remember that? Me neither, but my husband used to watch it and he loved it. We've got some dodgy old vidoes of Famous 5 which we found in charity shops which the boys love.

I read about this game called "Steer Madness" about a cow that escapes from captivity and liberates lots of other animals. I thought it was a lovely idea for a game but maybe too old for your little one.
    Its at www.steermadness.com
    It received an award from PETA.

"Chicken run"
    Its not exactly non-brutal (rated PG for parental guidance), but its an interesting stop-motion film about chickens trying to escape their farm - much resembling a concentration camp.
    The movie seems very conscious about the way animals are treated, and I was amazed by the analogies the first time I saw it.
    I think the movie is a good way to introduce the case of animal rights to small children without scaring them.
    Maybe watch it yourself to begin with.

Korn, this isn't really non-brutal (as it has a lot of "action" from what I can recall), but I've been meaning to see what people have thought of the animated movie "The Rats of NIMH" and I figured this would be a good thread to bring it up on.

Has anyone else seen this? I vaguely remember it from when I was a child and it is about a group of rats that escape from a laboratory with super intelligence and want to start their own farming community away from humans. The scientists, however, are still after them and much of the movie is about the rats outwitting/escaping the scientists. In a way it could be seen as pro-testing (as the rats have obtained a super intelligence due to the experiments) but at the same time I always took it to be against animal testing, since the rats eventually "win". I'd have to watch it again in order to formulate an opinion, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen the movie and how they feel it portrays animal testing for children.

I did watch it with a boy I used to babysit quite a few years ago, and at the age of three he was very concerned about what was being done to the animals and why the scientists wanted them. It's a little too much for a child that age, I think - but it did get him asking questions (and as an aside, I told him that sometimes scientists do mean things to animals and that I care about animals and I don't think that's okay. Then I went on to explain why I don't eat meat (minus anything disturbing or graphic, as he was only 3!) A half hour later he came up to me and said "I'm a NEVER going to eat tested animals again!" haha - it was priceless!)

okay, enough rambling...

I can't comment on the film but I liked the book. I can't remember how old I was when I read it but I remember feeling sad...maybe 10-12years old?
    - Theodore Roosevelt

As previously suggested, Charlie and Lola. It's just so sweet and funny and feels sort of '70's to me. Books are available too.

I highly recommend "Count Duckula". It's an animated show that I was introduced to in Wales. They have DVDs of the show (at least in the UK). Count Duckula is a vegan vampire duck. Here's a link to the opening theme song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthsQVsXwEg

The Secret of Nimh, KarmaDust. (17)

That was the background which unfolds in the story. The plot is focused on a mother mouse's struggle to get her home moved away before 'plowing time' without exposing her pneumonia stricken youngest to the elements.
    She copes with her fear to do the best she can for those she loves and must place her trust in others......
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair