Thread: Do you think there's a humane way to put down an animal?

Default Do you think there's a humane way to put down an animal?

Or do you think that it's an oxymoron? Reading the article about the dog that survived being in gas chamber made me think about this. I don't think I could ever put down an animal unless it was fatally ill and suffering extremely.

And what are your views on ways to prevent the need to put animals to sleep? What can be done to help stray animals and overfilled animal shelters?
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Default Re: Do you think there's a humane way to put down an animal?

It is an oxymoron but unfortunately, a necessary one. There are simply too many animals in shelters and not enough room. Until laws are changed to require the spay and neuter of all companion animals, it will continue.
    When I first started volunteering at the shelter, it was unbearable knowing that some of them wouldn't leave. One of the girls that worked there said that the only way she could handle it was by knowing that their suffering was over. (some of the dogs had lived their lives on chains, etc).
    There is absolutely no reason that this should happen on such a large scale (6-8 million per year, in the US alone) but until we humans stop seeing them as disposable animals, it will continue.
    We actually had a shelter (regulated by the USHS), that did not require that all adopted animals be altered. They finally caved to pressure from animal rights groups and the public and changed their policy. I don't know what we can do except to educate, write letters and vote.
    The main problem, as I see it, goes back to most people's views on animals...and I don't need to explain that.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

As a nurse I've seen terrible suffering that I've been unable to end because euthanasia is not allowed, cases where the condition means morphine doesn't work and they end their lives screaming in agony.
    I promised my little ones they would never be allowed to suffer like that and when they did I had them both put down. I will do the same for my other three cats if they are unable to die peacefully naturally.
    I only wish my husband and I could do the same for each other legally without having to travel to Switzerland.
    None of the animal sanctuaries round here put healthy animals down, if they can't find homes for them they keep them in the grounds.
    Silent but deadly :p

If there is a humane way to put an animal down, it most definitely isn't a gas chamber

I have had to have several dogs and horses "put to sleep" over the years. It's never easy. I feel that I know the animal really well and I know when the time comes to call it a day. I've always had the vet give them an injection to put them to sleep. That gas chamber sounded appalling.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

hmm.. i've had two rats i had to put to sleep a couple of years ago. they both got an injection. one got sick, and after a month, the other one was so lonely, that it didn't sleep and didn't eat, and it stopped comming when i called. it didn't even enjoy to be cuddled. at last, i realised that it was gonna die eventually, it had lice in the fur, and was always scraching itself, so i put it to sleep to.

I suppose the only way would be for them to get an injection. And it just makes them feel like they are going to sleep. Certainly not a gas chamber!!

Angel

Gassing should be banned forever. Those poor animals that go through that hell.
    Lethal injection should only be allowed.

Heroin overdose. But I can't recommend it since the judge probably won't believe that it's for your pet.

The only way to prevent the deaths of animals in shelter is to only buy from shelters.
    My friend wanted a daschund so he got one from his local puppy mill. He was asking me stupid questions like would it be better to buy from a breeder. The room was cold and the puppies were in cages with wire floors. It was SOO horrible. His roomate (my other friend) was talking to me about the mill telling them the feeding schedule. She thought it was strange that they didn't tell her the bathroom schedule. I say "Wire bottoms on the cages, newspapers below that, not even a board to stand on.... do you really think they take them out at night and...what?... put them back with their mothers?" It was kind of good because I really got through to her. She said she hadn't even considered it. I guess people assume that everyone cares for animals and would not do them harm. *sighs*
    Of course my fiance bought me hermit crabs last year so I have had to buy a couple to replace the ones who have died. My guinea pigs are rescue and my female is spayed.
    Last edited by Haniska; Aug 24th, 2006 at 10:58 PM. Reason: confession
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

sugarmouse

Lethal injection is most humane if there is a humane way to end life.BUT then this can also be hell for smaller animals

Of course there is. Three of our cats died in the past year, all in their twenties. To let them simply die, by their organ systems shutting down, and die of dehydration would have been breathtakingly inhumane. The only humane thing to do was to determine the time when it was clear they were ready to die (and yes, in their own way, they tell us), and have a vet administer a lethal injection. Euthanasia literally means "good death". In the west, among humans, it's not practiced nearly enough. Our deaths are too often long and excruciating, not just for the dying but for the living. It's ironic that we actually have a healtier perspective (of course, excluding the killing of healthy but unwanted animals) about death when it comes to our companion animals than with ourselves.

I live with guinea pigs and every now and if one is suffering and neither I nor a knowledgeable friend, or a good vet can help, then I have to take my pet on that hardest journey.

I always stay with my guinea pig to the very end and I'll be with the piggy I've loved; I don't feel right about leaving my pet at the end just because it's hard for me.

A whiff of gas sends the piggy to sleep then the vet gives an intra-cardiac injection which ends the piggy's life.

I hate it when I have to have a pet put down.

But worse was the time I got it wrong. I had a beautiful guinea pig called Willow who was a free-ranger and as fit as anything. One day I found her on her side with very laboured breathing. I listened to her chest and thought she had pneumonia. I didn't have any antibiotics -- and my experience in the past has been that in these (thankfully quite unusual) circumstances the piggy dies within a couple of hours. I put Willow on some vetbed and gave her a drop of water and let her be. But she was so strong and fit it took her 18 hours to die. I have never forgiven myself for that. I should have taken her to the vet and we should have tried either an injection of ABx or euthanasia there and then. Willow should not have had to suffer like that.

O

Yes, it's awful to watch a tiny animal suffer like that. I had a hamster who was ill and her breathing was laboured all day. The vet at first said just to leave her to die but it was going on so long and she was in such distress that we took her to him and he ended her suffering. Her name was Abigail.

I have been trying to rehome my two kitty girls. Maggie has had medical problems and needs special care. Lacey is older and although healthy is a timid soul. All of the no-kill shelters are unable to help. They are full to the max. The Humane Society gave me little if any hope. Maggie they would definately put down and Lacey would probally be put down due to her age and her timidity.

As a result I have made the choice to have my girls put to sleep. It was not easy. Several veteranarians insisted I take my girls to the Humane Society even though I already know what the result of that would be. I was even called a murderer! Perhaps it is a selfish decision but I decided that I wanted to be with my girls comforting and loving them to the end.

Maggie was put to sleep Friday. She recieved one shot of anesthesia that helped her fall asleep. She was purring and cuddling the whole time until she lost consciouness. The the vet gave her a second shot of anesthesia, the overdose that eventually stopped her heart. It was agony for me to lose her, to feel her slowly slipping away. However, I know she passed knowing she was loved.

The decision to put an animal to sleep is never an easy one. Although I understand the resistance to taking any life there are times I wonder about the alternatives.

Last year I bought a dog from the Greyhound adoption program, if people don't buy these dogs they too, will be put to sleep. I can recommened this enough, Greyhounds are the sweetest dogs and are very lazy (which suits me!) she has been such an important part of our family. If any one is thinking about getting a dog- please consider an x-racing grayhound.

Hi Jane,
    you don't say why you could no longer keep your kitties but you obviously love them very deeply.
    Shame on those thoughtless people who called you names. I don't know
    what happens to any of us when we "cross over" but I do know for an absolute fact it's a harsh, cruel world for animals......if you'd gotten them into a so called "no-kill" shelter they'd have been in a strange place wondering why they'd been abandoned & very frightened
    ......maybe confined to cages.
    What you did was an act of love......REAL love.....much more real then turning them over to someplace & then telling yourself little fairy tales...about their fate. To me you were a true friend to your kitties. If I were a cat I'd like to have a truly caring owner like you.
    I sure hope everything works out for you.....(((((((((Jane))))))))))))

(((Jane)))

I'm so sorry you had to make such a hard decision for your cat friend and that people could criticise you for it. You did your best in difficult circumstances and at the end of the day your cat passed peacefully and wouldn't even have known what was happening.

I hope you can remember her without tears soon.

Monday xx

I don't want to be insensitive, and certainly calling you names was rude and unnecessary, but...I just find it hard to be able to put down an otherwise healthy animal. If I had adopted two children, I don't believe that I'd have them put to sleep if I was unable to care for them anymore... What were the circumstances that prohibited you from taking your companion animals?

Quote chickendude View Post
    I don't want to be insensitive, and certainly calling you names was rude and unnecessary, but...I just find it hard to be able to put down an otherwise healthy animal. If I had adopted two children, I don't believe that I'd have them put to sleep if I was unable to care for them anymore... What were the circumstances that prohibited you from taking your companion animals?
    Basically, I lost the job I had. The only living situation I am able to find now with the income I now have does not allow animals. I have stuck it out for over a year trying to find a better income and an apartment that would allow for me to keep my girls. No such luck. I am very close to homeless. Luckily there is a living situation somewhat like a dorm for women over 45 having financial difficulty here. It is called the Nesting Place.

With children if you had to take them to a shelter...they would most certainly be fostered or put up for adoption. However, with animals (even though they are my children) there is no such quarantee. There in lies the problem. I have been trying without any luck to find a home for either girl. Maggie did have medical problems which made it even harder. Lacey is an older cat but healthy. The problem with her being rehomed is she is timid and the shelters here are overflowing with animals. There aren't enough homes to go around. Because of her age and her timidity she would according to the Humane Society be put down. So my choice is this:

1. Do I drop her off at the Humane Society...and let them put her down?

2. Do I save up what money I can and have her put down with me there to comfort and love her?

Which one puts the less stress on my girls????

Jane, what an awful situation to be in, my heart goes out to you. I often worry about what I would do with my 11 cats if I ever lost my home. I know you have most likely thought of this suggestion but do you have a relative who could take Lacey?

Oh, Jane! I'm sorry to hear you have been having such an awful time. I'm sure you made the right decision for your cats. Moving elderly/sick animals around from home to home or into rescue places is very traumatic for them. As far as I can see, you put them first, despite the pain it caused you. Good luck with everything.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

*hugs Jane* how painful it must be to put down your girls I'm sorry that you have been forced to make such a decision because of your living situation
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

IndigoSea

Jane-

I think what you did was VERY brave. It would have been far, far easier for a lot of people to just send them off to a shelter never knowing their fate. Your heartbreaking story brought tears to my eyes (not a common thing) and your love for your animals is beautiful.
    Being with your pet when her time comes is the best thing there is you can do for her. I couldn't imagine the fear a cat, or a person would feel being seperated from their loved ones and departing the world confused and alone. I've never had to have a pet put to sleep, but if (God forbid) that time ever comes, I hope I can muster up the sort of courage you can.

Good luck with your current situation, and I really really hope it gets better for you soon
    x

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and well wishes. It has done a lot to help me in a difficult time. Life can throw a nasty curve sometimes but know there are kind and caring people out there really is a comfort. Again, thanks so much.

Jane M

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    Lethal injection is most humane if there is a humane way to end life.BUT then this can also be hell for smaller animals
    That's true. Intracardiac injections shoudl especially never be used. It is difficult to find the heart in small animals and the injection itself can take enough time to make it very painful, not to mention it is quite easy to inject the fluid into the lungs by mistake.

Many vets like lethal injection because death itself is quicker with it, but for small animals it can cause too many problems and too much pain. The best method is either to either first administer a gas anaesthetic (if they will tolerate it or have respiratory issues) or administer a sedative by injection into the flank and then an abdominal injection of the sodium pentobarbital