Thread: Totally gutted!!!!

Default Totally gutted!!!!

Let me share my misery with you guys I recently qualified as a podiatrist as you know and am just applying for my registration with the Health Professions Council. For this I needed my doctor to fill out a health form to say I am healthy and don't have any psycopathic illnesses etc. She ticked the general good health box and added "Overweight!!!(lots of exclamation marks after)".
    I am gutted, yes I know I am 3 stone overweight but my general thoughts were I'm pretty good, vegan, non-smoker, happily married, no nasty diseases or psychiatric problems just "fat bastard".
    Now this will be on my record forever even though I haven't been overweight for that long.
    I'm totally gutted, I feel like I have a sign over my house saying, "Fat person lives here". It's my sisters wedding tomorrow and I don't want to be in any of the photos now because the rest of my family is thin.
    I guess I haven't dealt with the overweight issue and ignored it because I'm scared I will lose "me" if I get thin and become a mean person like my mother. I always associate being happy with being overweight and it makes me feel like a better mother and wife being overweight in a funny way.
    I guess I am going to have to deal with this issue now and deal with my weight but the lasy time I was thin I was very unhappy, unhappily married to my ex-husband and going through really bad times and i guess i am afraid to go back there Maybe I'm being stupid.
    Silent but deadly :p

Good sperm

Default Re: Totally gutted!!!!

Oh Hemlock that's horrible, and hugely unprofessional to add the exclamation marks. Your weight is not important, your health is what's important. I have a highish BMI but am trim and run almost 2 miles a day, my BP is 107/71 most days and while I am 'heavy' for my height I am not unhealthy.
    I think instead of concentrating on your weight and the various negative associations you have with being slim and being 'overweight', concentrate on being healthier. Have a goal of a certain amount of exercise per week to aim for, eating more fruit and veg as snacks etc not losing weight. Then your goal is health not slimness.
    I hope that helps, bloomin' doctors

I agree with AMF, adding those exclamation marks was totally unnecessary.

I think these ideal weight charts doctors have are nuts anyway...last time I looked it said I could weigh anything between 7.5 stone and 10! Believe me, if I weighed 10 stone, I'd be HUGE and I know that 7.5 stone is too light for me. Weight isn't really the issue though, it's more important to be fit and trim I think.

I think that you weren't miserable because you were slim, you were slim because you were miserable. You sound like you are leading a different, much better life now, so try and put the past behind you and focus on what you want to do. I think if you are constantly worrying about your weight/what you eat then you are less likely to achieve your weight-loss goals.

Could your record be changed at a later date when you have lost some weight?
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

If you *want* to lose a bit of weight, then you should go for it, but don't make your doctor woman your motivation. You're right AMF, the exclamations were unprofessional.

Quote Hemlock
    I'm scared I will lose "me" if I get thin and become a mean person like my mother.
    I don't think that will happen

Quote Hemlock
    lasy time I was thin I was very unhappy, unhappily married to my ex-husband and going through really bad times and i guess i am afraid to go back there Maybe I'm being stupid.
    It's completely natural to avoid things that remind us of nastier times. Maybe you could make some new happy thin times though?

sugarmouse

nothing really to add here its mostly been said already!But i am sorry about that..the thing is there was no need for the excalamtion marks, and if you are overweight and know it then why bother puttin it down on paper!
    I agree with redwellies though you were not unhappy because you were thin!
    stress is a larger strain than being overweight especially if you are overweight but healthy in every other aspect!!

Hello

I haven't posted that much here, I know you don't know me very well (if at all!) so I hope you don't mind me commenting.

This whole thing makes me feel angry.

I would ask her why she put the exclamation marks, it was definitely unprofessional, not to mention mean: what a flaming bully! Would she have put: Diabetic!!! Had cancer in the past!!! or, Bad Dress Sense!!! I doubt it somehow.

If you do not feel able to ask her this PLEASE be assured that such unprofessional conduct reflects far worse on the doctor than her comment does on you.

You are healthy and from what you've written happy. FAB! Keep up the good work!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

What a horrid, horrid person.
    Just know in your mind that she is selfish and self centered and abuses animals every day of her life.
    I'd rather be 3 stone overweight than not be vegan.

Weight is irrelevant.
    If you're happy and there's no problems with your health, then be yourself.
    But don't associate happyness with being 'overweight' because there might be a time when you're older where you have to lose weight, for whatever reason, or you naturally lose weight.
    It won't change who you are- your personality is inside of you, changing your shell wont make you any less or any more of a special person.

Hi Hemlock, it's that sort of attitude that makes me want to slap some doctors. What a load of rubbish, you are probably more healthy than a skinny omnivore, and I bet that doctor wouldn't think to say to them about their lifestyle, oh no as long as they're skinny!
    You can't win with these doctors, I am going to the doctor on Monday, and I'm dreading it, inevitably the subject will come up that I am vegan, and that's always a fault as far as they are concerned. According to them I am underweight, and so unhealthy, so you can't win! Never listen to them, as long as you lead a healthy lifestyle I wouldn't worry, no matter what weight you are.

I guess I haven't dealt with the overweight issue and ignored it because I'm scared I will lose "me" if I get thin and become a mean person like my mother.

Personally, when I was overweight I would kid myself that I was happy. Being overweight made me special and it was what made me ME. But I was wrong. Now I'm thinner, I'm just as awesome, just hotter and I can even run!!!

But everyone is different, I bet you're a gorgeous and brilliant podiatrist. If you don't feel the need to lose weight then f**k this grumpy old cow.

She's obviously a moody bitch who needs to use punctuation to get herself off

(!!!!!!!)

If the doctor thinks you are overweight she should speak to about it and advise you on what to do.

I have had a doctor tell me I was overwieght - they said it so matter of factly !

I am sorry you are down about this. I come from a family where my mum and sister are very skinny and I am the complete opposite. It used to get me down so but now I try to except the way it is. I am just made differently to them

Hope you feel better soon
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"