dateline special on tv as i type about possible sexual harrasment in the workplace @ the american apparel factory in LA.

the article and the tv special seemed to contain the same ideas and arguments...

nobody interviewed at the factory seems to have a problem, but yet there are three sexual harrasment suites up against the owner...

harrasment or creativity?

from the dateline site:
American Apparel" is one of the fastest growing and hippest clothing makers in the U.S. Founded by Dov Charney, the company has a '70s approach to clothing. Dateline will have more on the unconventional boss, Friday.

Sexy marketing or sexual harassment?
For American Apparel CEO Dov Charney, he's just building a new kind of company

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14082498/

The clothes are made not in overseas sweatshops, but in an air-conditioned factory in Los Angeles, where employees earn well above minimum wage and receive full health benefits.

Alex, employee: Dov’s a really exciting person to work with. I mean, he’s definitely eccentric, we all know that, but he’s also really inspiring.

Carolina, employee: I think Dov’s a brilliant man, he’s very loyal, I enjoy working for him.

These women say any bad publicity American Apparel has gotten stems from a misunderstanding of the company’s unconventional style.

Mankiewicz: How important is sex to the American Apparel image?

Alex: Very. Sex definitely comes into play. Every ad we do, “Is this sexy? Does the garment look sexy, does the model look sexy, is it the right kind of sexy?” You know.

Cara, employee: It hasn’t always been just about, you know, sexiness. I mean, we have an adorable older couple taking about this new jacket and how cute is.

But when Dov Charney talks at work about what’s sexy, they say, it’s always in a professional context.

Mankiewicz: Ever hear him talk about women’s bodies at work?

Employee: Sure, I mean, again, with the photos, with the models—

Mankiewicz: Ever hear him talk about sex?

Employee: Yeah, in a way, we do talk about sex, as I mentioned.

Mankiewicz: I don’t mean just sex, as in sex he might have had, as a—

Employee: As in, “I had sex last night”? No. No. We don’t talk about that.

These employees do acknowledge the company’s Web site isn’t the only place where the boss has made appearances in his underwear.

Employee: Yes, we’ve seen him in his underwear.

Another employee: American Apparel underwear. Not randomly in underwear.

Marsha, employee: I mean, we sell underwear, it’s not uncommon to see someone in their underwear here.

They know Charney has dated some of their colleagues, but say they don’t care.

Carolina: Yeah, it’s his personal life. I’m more concerned about getting artwork out to the source, meeting my deadlines, than worrying about who’s dating Dov.

And the women reminded us that American Apparel has no rules against dating in the office. The company says Charney’s relationships with his employees have been consensual, that he’s never demanded sex nor let sex be the basis for hiring, firing or promoting any employee. And this group says they’ve never seen Dov Charney behave inappropriately