Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making your own nut and seed butters?

Default Making your own nut and seed butters?

does anyone of you make your own nut and seed butters?

I just made almond butter, it turned out great! So now I can have it untoasted, just a bit worried that my blender will get overworked... I was doing it bit by bit, so it took about a day or so . I read somewhere that in some places you can have it done in the supermarket -- now that's luxury! I also made tahini, it didn't get as liquid, probably I wasn't doing it for long enough, just couldn't be bothered. But at least now I can have it organic and no salt. mmm! a little bitter, but that's okay.

what other seeds or nuts work well to make pastes? would pumpkin seeds work? they are one of my favourite seeds so I think I'll give it a try! And what about pecans? Cashews? and what about sprouted & dried sesame seeds? or any sprouts for that matter?

mmm, I won't eat anything but home-made nut butter from now on!

Default Re: nut butters

How do you make it?
    I have a mini-blender... I would love to make almond butter.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

FR

I do not make my own but I love nut and seed butters. Tahini and sunflower seed butter are my favorite two seed butters. I just picked up some macadamia nut/cashew butter. It rocks.

catspajamas: it's very easy, you just start by grinding yhe almonds at medium/high power until powdered. then you keep grinding for a little while on low speed. Leave for a while (one or two hours should do it), then grind again (low speed). And wait, and grind, and wait, and so on... The point of not doing it all at once is that the blender can get overheated -- especially if it's one of these regular small blenders. anyway it needs to be one of those that has a grinder part. I'm a bit worried about the motor of my blender getting fucked up, it's a multiuse thingy with blender/grinder/juiced press and some other things, and they use it a lot so I really don't want that to happen. Wonder if there is some (pref. cheap...) grinder that would serve for making nut butters.. I don't suppose a coffee grinder is anything like that..?

mmyum

fr: macadamia and cashew nut butter?! Must be great! But aren't macadamias extremely expensive?

FR

Quote ukahela

fr: macadamia and cashew nut butter?! Must be great! But aren't macadamias extremely expensive?
    Sure are. However, I picked up a 16 oz. Jar from Trader Joe's for four bucks.

Oh! then please e-mail me a jar, he he!!

FR

It is lovely. I am a huge nut and seed butter fan, but rarely buy peanut butter.

I love tahini. I make a creamy salad dressing out of tahini and lemon juice (with some water to thin it out).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mango woman

Would using a food processor be easier to make nut butters? Or would you still need to do it for hours...? I just got a cool one and i have organic pumpkin and sunflower seeds!!!!!! I'm drooling everywhere.

pumpkin seed butter in progress, turning out great! it's a dark green, beautiful colour, strong smell and getting increasingly liquid. Soon to be devoured.

tahini lemon juice, sounds great for salads! have you tried tahini with pickles, Tigerlily? it's great with bread, was addicted to that for a while. Some people seem to think it gross...

theahsleybeyer: I suppose it depends on your food processor. What I have is something like that, a reasonably good one but not a superpower force motor and beyond the warranty date, so I take no risks anyway if you go on for long, the seed paste tends to get hot as well, I think that might affect the time it can be stored so I try to avoid that.

FR: I'm also not particularly fond of peanut butter. I used to like it though, but as most varieties have salt and sugar added, I sort of got out of habit of eating it, and lost the taste for it. Seems to be the case with many things, what you usually eat is what you crave...

maybe I can get hold of some macadamias somewhere, and make butter out of them! maybe they need to be together with cashews or something else, as macadamias are very fatty and the paste would turn out a little strange..?

/the miller

Quote ukahela
    tahini lemon juice, sounds great for salads! have you tried tahini with pickles, Tigerlily? it's great with bread, was addicted to that for a while. Some people seem to think it gross...
    I never tried it with pickles alone, but I had it with pickles in a falafel sandwich.

mango woman

oh man, i'm so making pumpkin seed butter for lunch. well not JUST pumpkin seed butter.. heh.

I found cashew butter absolutely amazing! I can't buy it anymore -- tried it maybe a year ago, and Luke had to go to the ER -- had a violent allergic reaction. Scared me to death! I don't know if it was because of the cashew or if it had a trace of peanut in it. He does fine with almond, but I'm too freaked to buy it ready made, in case it has even a trace of peanut in it.

Maybe I could make some kind of seed or almond butter for him myself at home, so then I'd know it would be safe...
    Is that all to it? Just grinding it up 'til it's buttery? No other ingredients necessary?

I've never made it myself but according to some of the recipes on VegWeb yep. The instructions say that the oil in the nut does release just not right away. Hmmmmm....homemade almond butter....lucky boy!!!!

Okay. I just blended up some raw sunflower seeds, then mixed in a little tahini. I've got it in a glass canning jar in my frig. So....I guess I wait for a while on the seeds' oil?

I'm all out of almonds. Guess I'll get some next time I go to the grocery store.

I've always worried about children with allergies like yours and what they could get into at school. How do you handle it?

I homeschooled my kids up 'til recently, but I'm still pretty lucky because my mother-in-law is at the school. Also, it's a VERY small school. Everyone there knows that he's allergic to peanut. Also, a couple of the teachers there are vegetarians, so they are completely comfortable with my children's vegan needs. (Whew!) They have grades through middle school, so my older son who is 13, gets to see his siblings all the time throughout the day. So TJ and Leia keep an eye out for their little brother, too. I'm very fortunate. If it wasn't for this specific school, I KNOW I would still be homeschooling.

It is very scary being invited to friends' homes, though. I just don't get it, really. It's not like it would hurt someone to not pull out the peanut butter or peanut oil for the one meal they invite us to, yet it could actually kill my child. I would have thought that people would realize that it's not a sacrifice for them to skip the peanut stuff, but apparantly some people would rather put my child's life in danger instead. It just doesn't make any since. I'm not going to go back to their homes again. They can just come to my house instead. I just don't get it.

That is what concerned me. It is so hard to get people to understand or even want to understand the danger they are causing. You have my greatest respect for how you are handling the matter.

Honestly, people are ignorant of it (myself included). Maybe it's because I'm not a mother.

Until someone pointed out that serving kids peanut butter was not a good idea one day, I didn't think of it. I'm glad I know now. Wouldn't want to hurt anybody.

On another note, my food processor isn't good enough for really fine nut butters so I buy them instead.

I once read this in a vegan voice interview but for those who don't eat sugar, here's a great treat. Don't know exact quantities but you'll figure it out (most important is to not overdo on carob powder).

5 big gooey dates
    half to one cup of raw almonds (these work better than other nuts)
    carob powder - a tablespoon or two
    Water OR flaxseed oil OR coconut cream.

Blend nuts and carob until fine, then add dates and blend. Add water/oil/cream if necessary.

Roll into balls and cover in shredded coconut (optional)

It's so delicious, non vegans love it too. Put 'em in the freezer. So great frozen.

Ok copied the recipes from VegWeb:

Almond Milk
    Ingredients (use vegan versions):
    • 1 cup blanched, slivered or chopped almonds
    • 4 cups water
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • vegan maple syrup to taste

Directions:
    Put almonnds and half of the water in the blender. Blend for a good three to five minutes. With the blender still on, add the rest of the water a little at a time, then the vanilla and syrup. Blend another 2 minutes. Line a collander with a cheese cloth (you can get it at a cooking store, food co-op, or even a fabric store), and pour the milk through it. Squeeze the excess out of the almond gook in the cloth.
    The gook left in the cloth makes a great facial scrub, or you can knead vegan sugar, color , and flavor into it and treat it like candy.
    Serves: 2-4
    Preparation time: 15 minute
    Nutrition Information: This is great for vegans! And if you can find a good source for almonds it's cheaper than edensoy. . .

Almond Butter
    Ingredients (use vegan versions):
    • whole raw almonds
    • salt, optional

Directions:
    Using no oil, toast the almonds in the oven, stirring every few minutes, until beginning to change color. Cool.
    Place in a food processor and grind until very fine. Continue to process until the almonds begin to release their oil, resting the motor from time to time. Process until oily and smooth. Store in an airtight jar. * Don't be tempted to think the oil will not release. I assure you it WILL happen.

Hope these are of some help. Never made them myself but use a lot a recipes from this site with good luck.

ConsciousCuisine

Here's my raw recipe. You can also use jarred nut and seed butters to make "milks".

Nut/Seed Milk

1 cup almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or cashews, soaked overnight then rinsed

1 quart of pure water, at room temperature
    Dash of Celtic sea salt
    1/8 cup raisins or 2 dates, pitted and soaked in water
    (add cinnamon, ginger or other warming spices as desired or a few raw cacao beans)

Take the rinsed nuts or seeds and place in a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth. Strain if desired and enjoy in smoothies with fruit, ground flax, cereals, sprouted quinoa or alone.

I mixed the seeds some more, and this time it turned into a beautiful butter, and it tastes great! I was so excited that I called Luke- "Look what mommy made!" Seeing it, he got big-eyed and walked out of the kitchen ve-ry-slow-ly, looking over his shoulder as if to make sure it wasn't going to attack him from behind!

Poor little guy - I scared my baby with seed butter!

That's hilarious! Look seed butter. SEED BUTTER!

D'oh, that's where I went wrong. Didn't toast the almonds first. Will try again now.

no need to toast the almonds, i didn't and it turns out fine! only thing you need is patience....! it might be faster if you add some extra oil, though.

i just read on anutrient table that almond butter has less proteins, calcium fat and the rest of the minerals than whole almonds...??! how's that possible? although maybe they said paste, so it could have water added? seemed strange.

Default Nut Butters

i know there are many people here who love their nut butters. and seeing how theyre quite expensive, and there are many kinds, what kind would you recommend?

i know theres almond butter, macadamia butter, cashew butter, all things like that. i want something i can eat on crackers and what not that is similar to peanut butter, because i have to stop eating peanut butter, and i need a replacement.

i have tahini, so not that one!
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 30th, 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: Nut Butters

I like almond butter. Since it's so expensive, I just make my own. I've tried cashew butter, but don't really care for it.

yeh i havnt got around to buying one, but u can make ure own nut butters with one of those food processors/juicer thingys

i love soynut butter
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote foxytina_69
    i know there are many people here who love their nut butters. and seeing how theyre quite expensive, and there are many kinds, what kind would you recommend?

i know theres almond butter, macadamia butter, cashew butter, all things like that. i want something i can eat on crackers and what not that is similar to peanut butter, because i have to stop eating peanut butter, and i need a replacement.

i have tahini, so not that one!
    Hazelnut butter is my favorite. It's very different from peanut butter, can be combined with strawberry or raspberry jam, and is ruining me because it's so good and also expensive. The hazelnut butter I eat is a sugar-free and organic and made by a company called Rapunzel, so I guess you won't the it in US, but I'm sure you'll find something similar.

I like almond butter and carobella (carob/hazelnut) best.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I love almosnd butter! (It has calcium too!)

I just eat peanut butter and tahini. I should try more, I really should but I'm too lazy.

Quote herbwormwood
    I like almond butter and carobella (carob/hazelnut) best.
    That sounds like a delicous vegan version of Nutella!

Quote Korn
    The hazelnut butter I eat is a sugar-free and organic and made by a company called Rapunzel, so I guess you won't the it in US, but I'm sure you'll find something similar.
    We actually have some Rapunzel products here I haven't seen the hazelnut butter, but then I haven't looked...until now
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Tigerlily
    I just eat peanut butter and tahini. I should try more, I really should but I'm too lazy.
    I had some tahini in the fridge that I truly hated. I used in in hummus twice and both times, the hummus turned out terribly. I thought I hater tahini. When I was moving a couple weeks ago, I went to through it away when I noticed the expiration date- it had expired about a year and a half earlier! No wonder it tasted so bad!

i got cashew butter. its DELICIOUS. but then, cashews are my favorite nut lol. thanks everyone!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote veggiegirl3
    I had some tahini in the fridge that I truly hated. I used in in hummus twice and both times, the hummus turned out terribly. I thought I hater tahini. When I was moving a couple weeks ago, I went to through it away when I noticed the expiration date- it had expired about a year and a half earlier! No wonder it tasted so bad!
    Eeew. I prefer my tahini savoury. Mix in some lemon juice/vingear, olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices---delicious creamy salad dressing.

FR

I haven’t tried hazelnut butter yet. I’ve tried almond butter (both smooth and crunchy), cashew butter, macadamia nut butter, and cashew/macadamia (mixed) nut butter. I like crunchy almond butter the best. I’ve also tried “bean/legume” butters such as peanut butter (both smooth and crunchy), and soy butter (which is quite tasty). In addition, I’ve tried seed butters like, sunflower seed butter (very good), and sesame seed butter (tahini – I love it!! and prefer it nice and thick and pasty, not watered down). I want to try pistachio nut butter, and pumpkin seed butter.

OOOOH! Hazelnut butter is my very favorite for peanut butter consistency. But macadamia butter is my decadent choice. Macadamia is much thinner consistency, like a sauce and is so delicious "spilled" over vegan chocolate cake. I like to eat either them with the sesmark rice crackers. I am getting hungry just thinking about it.

Quote Veganbear
    I like almond butter. Since it's so expensive, I just make my own.
    My mom recently bought me a food proccesor that does all kinds of stuff I guess. I am still figuring it out, but how exactly would I make almond butter? From almonds alone?

thanks

jeannette

forthebirds

Quote Mermaid07
    My mom recently bought me a food proccesor that does all kinds of stuff I guess. I am still figuring it out, but how exactly would I make almond butter? From almonds alone?

thanks

jeannette

Hi Jeannette-

If you google "nut butters" you can get some "recipes" but basically it's roasted nuts and oil blended together. I don't have the right equipment but it sounds really easy!

Default Re: Making your own nut and seed butters?

I've just started to make my own hazelnut and almond butter. It's actually very easy:

1) (Optional: ) Spread nuts on a baking sheet and dry roast them in the oven @ 350F (175C) for 5-7 minutes.

2) Place nuts in a food processor and chop until nuts become fine and creamy (which takes a just a little longer than you think, so don't give up too early!)

Some links:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5699942_make...ut-butter.html
    http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/0...er-how-to.html
    http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/r...de-nut-butter/ <- with images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTlI7y5JfDo <- video
    http://www.suite101.com/content/nut-...enefits-a49820
    http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.co...t-butters.html
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/rec...0400000040028/
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gist96.html
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanks, I would especially like to try this with pistachios, as pistachio butter is hard to find and expensive if you do.

Why do commercial butters often have oil added, I wonder? Is it just because oil's cheap or does it have some function, like preserving the butter for longer?

Maybe they do it because oil is cheaper than nuts?

It might make the blending process quicker as well.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

That's true.

I did add a little sunflower oil first time I tried to make hazelnut butter, but the result was too oily. It's not until the initial 'powder' created by the blender turns into a creamy substance that one realizes how much oil these nuts contain. This may be different for eg. almonds. I haven't made any pure almond spread yet. The combined hazelnut/almond butter also worked fine without adding any oil, but I've heard of people making almond better without getting it creamy enough.

Quote harpy View Post
    Thanks, I would especially like to try this with pistachios, as pistachio butter is hard to find and expensive if you do.

Why do commercial butters often have oil added, I wonder? Is it just because oil's cheap or does it have some function, like preserving the butter for longer?
    Oh I never thought about making pistachio butter before. I love the idea! Would you just spread it on your bread? I make my own peanut butter all the time. Apart from this I only made cashew butter and tahini butter, oh yeah and hazelnut butter.

With the peanutbutter I hardly add any oil, usually just enough to keep it going. I'm not fussed about making a really smooth butter, chunky is great. I do add a little bit of agave syrup often though, especially when I roasted the nuts too long in the oven while I was doing something else :s. That helps my blender as well. I have a vitamix blender, so it blends well enough anyway.

Has anyone tried using nut butter machines? They look OK, but got mixed reviews (noisy, overheated and the raw ingredients to produce the end product cost more than the equivalent amount of commercial nut butter). It looks like they have stopped being made but I think you can still get them second hand.

Also this book has a few good tips about making your own peanut butter (which type of peanut is best, using peanut oil).

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Has anyone tried using nut butter machines? They look OK, but got mixed reviews (noisy, overheated and the raw ingredients to produce the end product cost more than the equivalent amount of commercial nut butter).
    I haven't tried these machines, but making your own hazelnut butter etc. in a normal blender will make a bread spread which is much cheaper than the same kind of product from a commercial source (around half the price, at best), and you can combine any nuts you want.