Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Beer

Default Stones Ginger beer no longer vegan

I have been a happy drinker of stones alcoholic ginger beer for some time and based on internet websites with information on alcoholic beverages here in australia it seems it was vegan. The other week some friends and i were enjoying a few and went back to buy some more. The new lot tasted far different and looking at the label in comparison to the previous drink we'd just had it was apparent they'd changed the recipe and added glycerol. I've emailed them asking for a response about this product and haven't had a reply yet. I think for the best part it's best to leave it out. Shame really. It's no great loss at the end of the day as the new recipe tastes disgusting.

Now it's worth noting i'm talking about the australian stones alcoholic ginger beer made by angoves under license from the british company. I don't know what the story is with other countries but it may be worth checking, just in case.

Default Re: Vegan beer & cider

Just checked for an up-to-date vegan list from Westons, because the website only stated "suitable for vegetarians and coeliacs" on various products, and didn't mention vegans. I was hoping to buy a few products online and wasn't 100% sure what was ok. Was pleasantly surprised to get this very helpful and friendly reply:

Good Morning "Est",

Thank you for your e-mail, any of the Weston’s Organic Ciders, Organic Vintage Ciders, Henry Weston Vintage Reserve, Oak Conditioned Ciders and Old Rosie are suitable for Vegans. The label may not state this in all cases because of space restrictions with all the legal information that we now have to include. As for the information on the website I will speak with our marketing team to make sure that this is included from now on alongside the statement suitable for Vegetarians and Coeliacs to assist people, such as yourself ordering products in future.

If you have any further questions about our products please do not hesitate to contact me.

With very best wishes

Rebecca

Default Re: Is Belgian Kriek (cherry beer) vegan?

Hello Mr Flibble,
    I got a replay from Beers of Europe saying "all Lindemans beers are suitable for Vegans"
    I'm only not sure if I can relay on this information because person who replay to me wrote that it's an information found in internet. I found however this information on few website so maybe it's reliable?

BlackCats

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    but know that Sam Smiths sell a vegan cherry beer (bottled).
    I love that cherry beer.

Quote upior View Post
    Hello Mr Flibble,
    I got a replay from Beers of Europe saying "all Lindemans beers are suitable for Vegans"
    I'm only not sure if I can relay on this information because person who replay to me wrote that it's an information found in internet. I found however this information on few website so maybe it's reliable?
    Wouldn't be for me - that person that replied to you has no more information or knowledge than you do about individual brewers and producers, and neither of you knows the accuracy of the internet information. If you drink Lindemans beers, and you want to know if they are fined with isinglass, the only way is to call or email Lindemans. It's entirely up to you, however.

Default Alcholic Ginger Beer!

Those in the UK in particular may have noticed the prevalence of Crabbie's alcoholic Ginger Beer over the last 6 months or so. And if your like me you may feel a bitter bite of envy seeing friends, family or even perfect strangers enjoying such fine, fine ginger infused booze!

And what's more, if your still like me, you may have been keeping an eye out for more brands of alcoholic ginger beer to rise up in the wake of Crabbie's success. And you'd be right to do so, for at least 3 more brands are working there way in to the market.

One brand on limited release at the moment is Frank's Alcoholic Ginger Beer. I haven't had a reply as to whether this is vegan or not, but seeing as it is brewed by kopparberg, I'd wager 'very unlikely'.

There's one that's hopefully coming soon.

But then there's this one! (scroll down a bit)

These guys have been back in touch with me and to the best of their knowledge... No animal bits! Behold....

Here you go Mike ... I’m pretty sure we’re clear as there is very little that actually goes in to our product and we make it in a very artisan way (water, yeast, real ginger, hops, barley etc). Crabbies on the other hand is a different, more commercial product made on a much bigger scale which naturally requires more additives and stuff.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Sent: 29 July 2010 13:34
    To: Phil
    Subject: RE: ok for veggies

Hi Phil

To the best of my knowledge we don't put 'bits of animals' into our ginger beer unless Roger knows differently!

Crabbies probably use a 'filtration assister' which is a powder/liquid that can be added during manufacture. The FA attract other particles present in the product, yeast etc and makes them heavier so causing them to drop to bottom of the tank after couple of days. The powder used can be from marine life or it could come from gelatine derived from abattoir by products (depending on what you need to filter out) There is an element of + and ve electrons that comes into play that for some reason I've never felt the need to understand!

Andy

EDIT!

kopparberg got back to me.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can confirm that Franks Alcoholic Ginger Beer is suitable for vegetarians.

Kind Regards,
    Leonie

Leonie Bond
    Brand Marketing Executive

Someone may want to double check that though, seem to remember someone posting a correspondence with kopparberg where they said all there drinks were veggie because, while animal bits are used in the making of the product, there were none in the finished product.

Default Re: Alcholic Ginger Beer!

Thanks for the info - make sure to share it with barnivore.com

Badger sell a ginger flavoured ale (Blandford Fly?). It's in some supermarkets.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Just done that now! Never come across Badger Ginger ale? There were a few more i found that released a seasonal limited edition ginger beer. But this one looks like the big ginger hope!

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beer...andfordfly.asp

Pretty sure it's sold in Waitrose or Sainsburys.

I'm not an ale fan (at all), so didn't like the bottle I tried. They second bottle I bought is still in my fridge; I'm hoping someone who visits will want it

Stuart

Just found about Crabbies and hit upon this thread. Damn! I love this stuff.

Frank's doesn't get a good review in that write up; what else could an ex-Crabbie-ite try?

I don't like beer or ale, but like this stuff. Thank God I can still drink Sailor Jerry's, that would be Hell!

Frank's is a reasonable replacement if it is indeed veggie, someone should double check what with Kopparberg not having any other veggie products! It's not quite as strong as i remember Crabbies being though.

I tried the Bradford and Fly ginger infused ale. I DO like my ale, but i didn't care much for this. It is just a hint of ginger at that.

The ginger ale produced by Cornish Orchards brewery is just in bars around Cornwall and London apparently, If you e-mail them I'm sure they'll inform you of places you can get this if you live i those areas. If not it can be purchased reasonably online, either by the bottle or by the case!

I thought Koppaberg cider was vegan?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    I thought Koppaberg cider was vegan?
    Acording to Barnivore.com not
    http://www.barnivore.com/beer/812/Kopparberg-Cider

Also this troubling e-mail paste which leaves me with a lack of confidence in their claim that Frank's is veggie!
    http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/kopparberg.htm

Good if we could get some further clarification though, it all seems a little contradictory.

I've heard different things from different sources regarding Kopparberg. Since Barnivore reckons it's not vegan, I've been keeping clear of it.

Stone's Alcoholic Ginger Beer is vegan, but it's an Australian company and I have no idea where you might get it here.

Koppaberg customer services claimed it was vegan when it had just been launched. This info changed around 2009, to say it is filtered with gelatin. There were posts on this forum about it when it happened.

It's nasty fizzy crap though; Westons is far nicer.

Isn't koppaberg summer fruits vegan?

For ginger beer couldn't you just buy regular ginger beer and add vodka?

Koppaberg customer services claimed it was vegan when it had just been launched. This info changed around 2009, to say it is filtered with gelatin. There were posts on this forum about it when it happened.

all variations of westons are vegan, right? this one is my favourite drink in the whole world:

Stuart

^ I've not touched cider since my teen years, I guess is tastes better when you don't gulp it down like pop, and make yourself sick, right?

Umm, I don't think i've many options then the way things have been reported here.

There's always this?

Has anyone tried making their own ginger beer? It's about the easiest thing you can brew. All you need is ginger, water, sugar, lemons or tartaric acid, yeast (bread yeast is fine) and something to brew it in and some plastic bottles to build up the fizz in for a few days. I've got a recipe if anyone wants it?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I've got a recipe if anyone wants it?
    That would be great. I've been looking at some online but there are some things i don't understand.

First it sounds like they require a LOT of attention, I'd be scared to go to work in case they exploded? Don't they need depressurizing every few hours?

Also, once the brew is ready or ripe (?) you've got how long to drink it all? Does it stop carbonating or do you have to keep on depressurizing until you're ready to drink it?

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    all variations of westons are vegan, right?
    Sorry to jump in here, but just to say yes to this.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I totally agree!

(I would just like to say, I made your recipe for vegan Baileys and it is identical to what I remember Baileys tasting like.......... even my vegetarian husband who still drinks Baileys, said so...........thank you Mr Flibble! xx)
    Quote twinkle toes View Post
    all variations of westons are vegan, right? this one is my favourite drink in the whole world:

I have a bottle of the very stuff chilling in the fridge as we speak. Weston's cider is superior to all others, it is a little more expensive but well worth it. The others taste like sickly sweet lemonade but Weston's has just the right amount of sweetness with a slight amount of sparkle too...............
    It annoys me though that as a woman I'm only allowed 3 units of alcohol at one go and a bottle of Weston's cider has 4 units.............I still drink it though!!

Quote sandra View Post
    I would just like to say, I made your recipe for vegan Baileys and it is identical to what I remember Baileys tasting like.......... even my vegetarian husband who still drinks Baileys, said so...........thank you Mr Flibble! xx
    Wow, praise indeed

At risk of going totally off topic, did you make up the recipe exactly as I did, or modify / improve it? I've not tried it again since I first made it.

I followed your recipe to the letter. I even made my own bottle of simple syrup (again, using your recipe) to sweeten it with.

Cool

Quote xpecting View Post
    That would be great. I've been looking at some online but there are some things i don't understand.

First it sounds like they require a LOT of attention, I'd be scared to go to work in case they exploded? Don't they need depressurizing every few hours?

Also, once the brew is ready or ripe (?) you've got how long to drink it all? Does it stop carbonating or do you have to keep on depressurizing until you're ready to drink it?
    I've made a double batch which is in a big stainless steel preseving pan at the moment. Because I can't be arsed to sterilise a couple of demijohns with bubble valves I will have to depressurise the ginger beer a few times once I've strained it into 2 litre fizzy water bottles, because I want it to carry on fermenting to produce a reasonable amount of alcohol. I'll probably leave the bottles out of the fridge for a day and have to open them a couple of times to let out the air build up, or I might cover the tops with plastic bag and put a couple of elastic bands around, which apparently works as well (I've also heard of putting balloons over the top to stop flies in and let the gas out of the bottle).

Once they're in the fridge you want to keep an eye on them, but the cold slows the yeast right down. You might want to open them to relieve the pressure once a week. I've never drank it after more than about 6 weeks, but it was fine at that point.

This is a link to my recipe - http://geocities.ws/acorns_rule/ginger_beer.html - I no longer have access to the site, so can't change it, but where it says boil 3 pints, just boil 2 instead.

I don't think I've ever actually gone for the cream of tartar option, it was in one of the source recipes, I think.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Vegan beer & cider

Quote Crafterga View Post
    I emailed Inbev about Stella after seeing this thread, as I'd gone without it for so many years! Here's their reply...

Thank you for your e-mail to the consumer helpline.

Stella Artois is suitable for vegetarian/Vegans in the UK, and as far as I as I am aware also in France.

Once again, thank you for contacting InBev UK.
    Regards
    Barbara
    Consumer Helpline Advisor
    InBev UK Ltd
    0870 24 111 24

Makes life so much easier in mainstream pubs!!!
    Stella have brought out a new drink - Cidre - This is NOT suitable for vegans, I emailed them and they have confirmed its not.

Default Re: Alcohol and veganism

Hello.... Does anyone know if Sweetheart Stout is vegan? I can't seem to find any information on the internet about it. Thanks!

Default Re: Alcohol and veganism

For anyone who wants an alcohol-free vegan beer, check this out. I don't drink alcohol and this is the only beer I can buy locally that is totally alcohol free (others are 0.5%). So I e-mailed the company to see if it was vegan. This is their reply:

" Thank you for your kind inquiry and your interest in our enterprise and our products.

With reference to the brewing process of Bitburger Drive we would like to inform you that the alcohol is carefully removed once the beer has fully matured.

Due to our modern brewing technology we are in fact able to reduce the residual amount of alcohol to approximately 0,02 vol.% and below – which mathematically equals 0,0 % and corresponds to an alcoholic strength you will find in many natural fruit juices.

Our Bitburger Drive as well as our Bitburger Pils are brewed according to the German Purity Law from 1516. Thus we only use water, hops, malts, and yeast as ingredients. For the purification of our beer we exclusively use diatomaceous earth. Moreover, we process vegetable casein adhesives for our emblems.

If there are any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

With kind regards
    Astrid Mathey

VMP/Kommunikation Bitburg/Astrid Mathey

BITBURGER BRAUGRUPPE GmbH
    Römermauer 3 | 54634 Bitburg "

Default Re: Beer

Does anyone know if Ridgeway Beers are Vegan?

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Does anyone know if Ridgeway Beers are Vegan?

Maybe this could be useful. Is a wine and beer directory where you can find out whether they are vegan or not:

http://www.barnivore.com/wine#

Quote Jara View Post
    Maybe this could be useful. Is a wine and beer directory where you can find out whether they are vegan or not:

http://www.barnivore.com/wine#
    Thanks, I checked Barnivore first, then spent another hour googling to try and find out to no avail. I just thought someone may have already checked it here

Just thought I'd mention some vegan friends of mine they run a brewery in Hastings and all their beer is vegan. They are a new company so are still growing and have just started to sell their beer online. Some of the pubs in Hastings stock their beer and hopefully they will be moving out into the rest of the country soon.

http://hastingsbrewery.co.uk/

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Thanks, I checked Barnivore first, then spent another hour googling to try and find out to no avail. I just thought someone may have already checked it here
    Why don't you write them?

I have, just waiting for the response

Got a response. Its a no to Ridgeway beer.

Not real name!

Anyone know if the Carlsberg Zest with spiced orange is vegan?

Not real name!

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Anyone know if the Carlsberg Zest with spiced orange is vegan?
    It isn't due to the filtration process.

rakin' muck

For those in the Midwest, Great Lakes makes some great beers and I read elsewhere on the internet that they don't use isinglass for filtration, they use a synthetic filter called PVPP (I believe) which may not be the healthiest thing out there but at least no animals were harmed to make it!