Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

Default Re: Alcohol and veganism

The connection between Vegan diets and drinks with % in them goe as far as how they are made, I do not really go to pubs to drink much as I hate the stinking smokey atmospheres but apparently that is on the brink of change.

I do have a few drinks of various types now and again but they must be strictly vegan and chemical free and made to the Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law).

For example I do like the odd Holsten Pils or Becks which are both made under these strict laws.
    Other than that I will have the odd glass of wine which again must at least be vegan and better still like Kevster said organic.

And yes living in Somerset we are known for our cider so if any one who is vegan wants cider stick with Westons Cider it's very nice in the summer months, it all vegan, its suitable for gluten and wheat free diets and 40% of the ciders they make are organic.

Once in a blue moon I will try a vegan beer if I see one in the shops.

I see nothing un-vegan about having a drink or two, but I do get really annoyed with over the top obnoxious p***ed people who can not have one or two to be sociable and only drink to get drunk all the time....what is the point if you but a quality drink you want to enjoy it an remember it.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Default Vegan Booze

Im not the usual pub type person - as the smoke makes me sick

but I had to oblige this weekend due to the biz I run.

Luckily I had got the new animal free shopper and noticed some changes in vegan booze from last year.
    Most pubs seem to stock Bud or carlsberg on bottles, if they didnt I stuck to whiskey.

But its very shocking, and we need to do something about it - that most drink is not suitable for us - but should be.
    We reallly need one of the major groups to start a campaign about making most drink vegan.
    I cant stand lager but all the pubs only had real beer on draught.

also - Grolsch was vegan in the last edition but not featured in this one.
    I dont like to take chances - anyone know why the changes???

Gibby

I don't know if this has already been posted but I found this website really useful:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint...ian_beers.html

It's a vegetarian based page really, where the person has emailed loads and loads of alcohol companies, and if they have specifically said they are vegan then he has put it down, but otherwise he has just left it as vegetarian.
    So basically, it could still be vegan, he's just not sure.

i have read through a number of sites that list whether a beer is vegan or not but have never come across any mexican beers. before i start emailing companies does anyone know if mexican beers tend to be vegan or not?

our christmas gift this year to the family, from my grandparents, is a cruise in mexico. just wondering about the beer for now. i will have to do my research once i find out what cruiseline we are going on. wonderful family trip idea, i just hope they will make me some vegan food.

Quote catmogg
    Apparently as much as 60% of the population is allergic to alcohol. I don't drink at all any more. On the odd ocassions i did i used to loose control of what my legs were doing and would end up doing great impressions of Mr Bean. Then someone spiked my drink with a date rape drug and and i did a good impression of a catatonic Mr. Bean- luckily i was with a friend big enough to pick me up off the floor and carry me home, so worry not, but loosing control like that scares the life out of me!! There was a really interesting article in the Independant last Wednesday about how there has been a massive increase in deaths relating to alcohol abuse.... Oh and don't they put egg albumen in wine??? There are lots of mail order vegan wines that sound great though, i ordered from vintage roots once, so i could offer dinner party guests a tipple. They loved it....
    im allergic to alot of alcohols. if thats what you would call it. i cant drink anything dark colored, such as whiskey or beer or gold rum. u put those in me and the whole night is over cause i get really flippy and crazy. i stick to just cider now. my dad and his brother get insanely flippy when they drink whiskey and whatnot like that. quite violent. once i woke up in a church parking lot lol. i know some may not think thats funny but i did but it was the alcohol.

speaking of date rape drug, that happens alot here.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: Strongbow it's Vegan

Quote snaffler
    For anyone interested Strongbow Cider is vegan
    Unfotunately it's now also got artificial sweetners in it and tastes disgusting as a result. Still, there are lots of other vegan ciders....

Cheers

Mike

Quote mophoto
    i have read through a number of sites that list whether a beer is vegan or not but have never come across any mexican beers. before i start emailing companies does anyone know if mexican beers tend to be vegan or not?

our christmas gift this year to the family, from my grandparents, is a cruise in mexico. just wondering about the beer for now. i will have to do my research once i find out what cruiseline we are going on. wonderful family trip idea, i just hope they will make me some vegan food.
    I don't know but would like to. Please keep us posted!

Mexico's a great place. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Cheers

Mike

Talking Re: Which drinks?

this is a pretty good gide...

http://www.vnv.org.au/AlcoholByName.htm

allot of the better vegan source books will have a listing of beers, wines and good stuff of the like...

but the only real way to be sure is to write the company, since things change so often!

i hope its a help
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: Which drinks?

Thanks so much the reception at the little local pub at the end of their road so the drink choices are a bit limited but there are a couple of drinks on there that I'm sure I'll be able to get

Yogini

I don't think that it causes much harm to your body to have an odd drink now and then. According to some people I drink pretty heavily (about 5 - 6 beers a week.) To them I say "Hey, you should have seen me five years ago! This is a definite improvment."

I know most consider it a sacrilege to drink a macrobrew, but I'm not a beer snob and have always been quite happy with MGD. I read on a site linked somewhere on this forum that it's vegan.

Love,
    Anna

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout- very vegan and very yummy.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Vegan Beer!
    A spectacular (animal-friendly) microbrew from England.

Read the Samuel Smith's article here.

I guess you could say I'm a social drinker. I'm aware of which popular drinks are vegan and which ones aren't, so when I go out I usually have Grosch or Becks lager.

I did some heavy drinking on a few occasions a while back and I don't like being drunk anymore. Like many people alcohol turns me into a completely different person. I become a hyper, raving extrovert, the complete opposite of my normal demeanor. I often wish I was more extroverted so if I'm drunk I usually feel worse about myself the morning after, if that makes sense. Clearly drinking so I can be someone else is not a good thing.

And I also don't like waking up feeling like crap

Quote coconut
    I guess you could say I'm a social drinker. I'm aware of which popular drinks are vegan and which ones aren't, so when I go out I usually have Grosch or Becks lager.

I did some heavy drinking on a few occasions a while back and I don't like being drunk anymore. Like many people alcohol turns me into a completely different person. I become a hyper, raving extrovert, the complete opposite of my normal demeanor. I often wish I was more extroverted so if I'm drunk I usually feel worse about myself the morning after, if that makes sense. Clearly drinking so I can be someone else is not a good thing.

And I also don't like waking up feeling like crap
    Dito - as well as your other comments I hate the hangovers and the loss of a day because I feel like crap.

Having a few inside your own known personal limit is far better.

Kevster

Quote gertvegan
    Vegan Beer!
    A spectacular (animal-friendly) microbrew from England.

Read the Samuel Smith's article here.
    I've got a couple of bottles of the Winter Welcome awaiting consumption.

Default linco beer shampoo

hey, does anyone know if this shampoo is fully not tested on animals?

they claim on their packet that they dont, but i cant seem to find any more info online. if i type in animal testing and their company name, i dont get much.

its a really nice shampoo, i was given some by a friend, and i'd like to buy it again but dont want to if its bad.

thanks.

Default Re: Vegan Alcohol

Batemans breezes into spring

27 Feb 2006

Lincolnshire brewer Batemans is launching its seasonal beer, the 5% alcohol by volume Spring Breeze, nationally through Sainsbury’s outlets from next month (March).

The beer, which is available in the on-trade as a cask beer under the Spring Goddess brand name, is described as a “golden, malty and crisp” pale ale.

Spring Breeze is the latest addition to the brewery’s seasonal bottled beer range, which comprises Summer Swallow, Combined Harvest and Autumn Fall. All the beers are both vegetarian and vegan approved.

Kevster

Sounds like just the bottled beers? But good stuff anyway, they do label their beer with the vegan trademark symbol.

Default Re: linco beer shampoo

ok..i found out they are owned by carter-wallace who in fact, DO test

gutted!

I tell you what get a bottle of vegan beer (becks or something) and a little shampoo (vegan of course) I use Source.....and wash your hair and leave then wash out and condition.....brilliant if you been in the sea.

Bloody waste of good beer but nice barnet care.

haha sounds good!

so..what..do you wash your hair with beer first and THEN shampoo it..or..? i'm kinda confused!

Question Alcohol?

On a website called www.askcarla.com in the "Question Categories" Vegan/Vegetarian it has questions that ask about alcohol. It says that wine and beer can use animal derived products, so my question is; does all type of alcohol contain animal derived products; such as: whiskey, vodka, rum etc? Or is it only wine and beer that might contain animal derived products?
    ▼Laurin▼

Default Re: Alcohol?

usually it's the clairifiers that are made from fish or animal hoof gelatin

i'm pretty certain they don't use those in any boozes.

there are lists on the peta site somewhere i believe and there's actually a huge selection of wines and beers that are vegan
    Viva Vegan!

A lot of bottled lagers are vegan,i'll need to dig the list i've got out but i'm sure Carlsburg,Budvar, Holsten Pils are deff vegan.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Good sperm

In wine and beer isinglass (an extract from fish bladders) is often used to clarify, egg whites can also be used for this which is why some Wines marked vegetarian aren't vegan.
    Whisky and other cask-matured alcohol often isn't vegan as they seal the barrels with animal fat or beeswax. Budweiser Annheiser Busch American beers are usually ok because they use aluminium casks.
    Absolut Vodka is vegan for sure, but some other vodkas aren't because they use bone char to refine the vodka and make it clear.
    Most rums and whiskeys aren't vegan.
    Mumm and Bollinger champagne are vegan
    There's a few on a list here but I've seen a more comprehensive one so if I find it I'll post it.

the animal free shopper usually has a good comprehensive list of vegan alcohol. the first section i memorise each time there is a new issue

Hey There!

Some Westons ciders have lables that say suitable for vegans. If that's any help?

VeggieChickxx

tabitha

Thank you Veggiechick. Im not keen on cider any more. Had too many evil hangovers in my youth from it.

Listed on some of the Main Veggie Drink websites is Hall-Woodhouse Badger Beers, they are NOT vegan now !

Mail below

-------------
    Morning Jayson,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I have been out of the office all last week. Firstly I would like to point out that MALTHOUSE, OASTHOUSE AND COUNTRY are no longer produced. TANGLEFOOT, I can confirm does contain Isinglass.

I hope this answers your questions. If you require any further info then please contact me direct.

Many thanks
    Steve White
    TECHNICAL TEAM LEADER.

Default Vegan lagers

Since I became vegan I have stopped drinking wine when out in bars/restaurants because it almost certainly isn't vegan. So I drink lagers instead that I know are vegan (e.g Budweiser). It is almost always possible to get it but does anyone know which other popular lagers are also vegan just in case? Off the top of my head....

Budvar?
    Carling?
    Fosters?
    Stella Artois?
    Indian lagers such as Cobra?
    Heineken?

Thanks very much!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Default Re: Vegan lagers

Hi Holly, I think there's a thread on that here somewhere. Stella is not vegan. Becks is vegan. From memory, I think Cobra and Heineken are vegan.

Edited to say...check out Isitvegan.info
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Amstel light

Thanks for the replies. I have checked out www.isitvegan.info

I also did some 'googling' and found this which I thought I would share...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint...ian_beers.html

The Budvar email sounds like it is vegan - would others agree?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

dharma

Holsten Pils and Hoegaarten are vegan as well.

Puke! I dont wanna talk about beer right now! Ugh! Running, hiding and gagging!!!
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Russ

I'm glad to hear strongbow and most ales are vegan, I live in the hope that woodpecker cider is too ...
    though I don't drink much any more, but I used to ... a lot ... too much ...

In moderation, alcohol is good for you. Something like one pint of beer a day does more good than harm, but any more cancels out any positive effects.

I saw some people talking about alcohol from Marks and Spencer up there ... I'd just like to add that anyone concerned about human rights (humans are animals too, remember) should probably be boycotting Marks and Spencer since they fund Israeli state terrorism against Palestine, among other things (i.e. sweatshop made clothes). And it's all overpriced. Support your local off licence instead!

boom

i miss drinking,i had to quit,but i use to assume all beers and alcohol wasn't vegan,i use to think they all had honey in it,

geysir111

Sorry to haven't read everything but this thread is interesting but quite long

So actually I think that this is very important to create thread like these: there is a big lack of information about vegan drugs (in this case: vegan alcohol). The other thread about vegan cigarettes is interesting too.

For alcoholic beverages, I know that most absinthes are vegan. At least, the absinthes made in the traditional french or swiss way are vegans. And I am pretty sure all french and swiss absinthes are made in the traditional way. I have no evidence about spanish absinthes, but because it's a bit the same kind of absinthe as the french one, but of average quality, so I suppose it would be vegan, but beware of the absinthes with colors other than green, dark green, greenish, emerald, turquoise, sallow or yellowish. I have drunk red and black absinthes, but this was obviously colored by additives. About East Europe Absinthes, I have really no idea of how it's made but still, I would doubt the presence of animal byproducts.
    Absinthe is great but Consume with Moderation.

Does anybody know about good vegan beers? Good new that german beers are vegan, but they're just good, or average depending of the beers. I rarely drink american, english or french beers as most of them aren't as good. Do you know about abbey beers and trappist beers? I've always been persuated that they were vegan, but if someone could confirm me that...

Christophe

HERES THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POST

Since I became vegan I have stopped drinking wine when out in bars/restaurants because it almost certainly isn't vegan. So I drink lagers instead that I know are vegan (e.g Budweiser). It is almost always possible to get it but does anyone know which other popular lagers are also vegan just in case? Off the top of my head....

Budvar? YES
    Carling? NO - Isinglass Used
    Fosters? NO - Isinglass Used
    Stella Artois? NO - Isinglass Used
    Indian lagers such as Cobra? Yes Cobra and Kingfisher are Vegan
    Heineken? Yes as are Carlsberg and Carlsberg Export
    Becks Yes

Thanks very much!

Does anyone know of a master list of vegan alcohol in the US? Wine is one of the few areas of my life not veganized and I'd love to rectify that. Thanks!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I have problems in about 40% of pubs I go in. The amount that serve only Fosters/Stella/Carling etc is amazing. I can usually have Smirnoff Ice but that's a bit sickly and a last resort really. Plus bottles are so expensive for what you get. It would solve most problems if Strongbow was vegan, but I don't suspect it is, not on draught at least, and you can't usu buy cans in pubs.

Anyone have any info on draught Strongbow, please?

I've read people on this forum talking about drinking it so I think you might be ok... Hopefully someone can confirm.

Cheers. I'd better wait for confirmation, though.

Quote nobacon
    Cheers. I'd better wait for confirmation, though.
    Give them a ring or write to them;

Bulmers
    The Cider Mills
    Plough Lane
    Hereford
    HR4 0LE

Tel: 01432 352000

Even if someone does give you confirmation it's always good to get up to date information and also the more requests for information from vegans they will get the more we will be paid attention to (I hope).

I agree, good idea, although I'd rather email. I'll do a search

Yeah, same here, I couldn't find an email address, I did look.

They should surely have it as a FAQ. Anyway, I'll check back tomorrow

Kevster

News of a little place up near me, i'll be checking out their beers in the near future.....

http://www.littlevalleybrewery.co.uk/index.html

Quite possibly just the bottled conditioned ones though.... i'll have to check.

They are in the new VS magazine Kev, it does so bottled beers in their.

Kevster

Quote jaydog
    They are in the new VS magazine Kev, it does so bottled beers in their.
    Aye, the local beer shop near me has just got a batch in. I'll be testing the lot.