Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

Default Re: Homemade Ginger Beer!!

Quote beanstew View Post
    I tried brewing some ginger beer once with yeast and everything. When I got to the step about leaving it somewhere warm like an airing cupboard I realised I don't have such a place so I left it in a sink full of warm water. After a few hours the bottle looked like it was going to burst (I had used a 3l pop bottle) so I very gingerly (ha!) removed it and left it on the draining board for a while. It actually tasted pretty good but was a bit gassy. I'll see if I can find the recipe.
    After a couple of hours? The recipe I used (sortof - no lemon juice in the house) says that it takes 24-48 hours to ferment.

Edit: After 11 hours there is still no sign of fermentation. Does chlorinated water kill the yeast? Surely not, or bread-making wouldn't work, particularly when you let the yeast grow in warm water before mixing it with the flour.

Our airing cupboard isn't very warm though. We have an extra insulating blanket over the hot water cylinder, and only have the hot water heater on at certain, crucial, times of the day.

Edit2: After about 31 hours or so, some fermentation is in evidence. I tried making the top receipe, but boiled the ginger dry. I went ahead and finished the receipe, but at the end it was too sweet and not gingery enough. I'll give it another go.

Default Re: Vegan beer & cider (was Vegan Alcohol)

Quote Pickled Jhon View Post
    Hey guys, i was wondering about Kopparberg also... this site ( which has been updated 2 months ago) seems to think it is!

http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/index.htm

cheers! x
    Apparently, it is....

Quote Frosty View Post
    A while back there was some confusion as to the veganness of Koppaberg Cider. After several emails, and lack of responses from myself and other members from the forum, I have come across this on the interweb...

Hi!

According to our consultant product developer our cider is suitable for vegetarians/vegans.

Best Regards

Fredrik Bjornehall
    Customer Relations
    konsumentkontakt@kopparbergs.se
    I like football. And potatoes.

Default Re: Homemade Ginger Beer!!

Quote RossClement View Post
    After a couple of hours? The recipe I used (sortof - no lemon juice in the house) says that it takes 24-48 hours to ferment.
    I once tried to make ginger beer and it ended up very unpleasant. It was in a very old recipe box that I found at a thrift store. Can you send me in the direction of a tried-and-tested recipe for this heavenly substance?
    Last edited by L'explorateur; Apr 22nd, 2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: misspelling

Does anyone know whether Rickard's Red beer is vegan?

I never really thought to check, and it's actually very hard to find out! =/

Find out for yourself - why not ask them...?

http://www.molson.com/companyinforma...tact/index.php

You might get more out of them than I can, seeing as I'm a brit... but you never know
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Can anyone gimme an inkling as to any stouts and ales that are vegan? I have a couple of recipes to try out, and I'm not a drinker so I wouldn't know!

Try a sainsburys bry, I think they mark a few vegan
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Cheers mucker.

Talking Re: Vegan beer & cider (was Vegan Alcohol)

Quote Cup'O'Tea View Post
    Does anyone know whether Rickard's Red beer is vegan?

I never really thought to check, and it's actually very hard to find out! =/
    How's this then...? from Coors (who also brew in the UK after taking over Bass a few years ago).

"Thanks for your e-mail about the ingredients used in our products. We are always interested in hearing from our consumers.

Molson chooses the finest natural ingredients to brew its beers; no chemical additives or preservatives are used.

Our products are animal-product free. We use the finest barley, hops, Molson's own special yeast, water and finally corn syrup as a sweetener and as food for the yeast to grow.

If you have other questions or comments, John, please contact us again either by e-mail at www.molson.com or by calling the Consumer Information Center Hotline at: 1-800-665-7661. The center is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, and the staff will welcome your comments.

Sincerely,

Sophia J. Guerrero
    Consumer Information Representative
    Consumer Relations"

Cool, eh?
    consumers@coors.com

Hmm.. but do they clarify it? They didn't mention that. Call me sceptical, but I'd want to hear a specific statement about clarification before I was sure. However, I had heard previously that Coors was OK (can't remember where)
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Default Re: Vegan beer & cider

Coors told me a while ago that their beer is not suitable due to fish finings.

It could have changed now - ie new brewery etc. I doubt it though.

I ask a brewer the initial question and if they do not mention the claryfying process I follow it up.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

isn't most beer vegan? i though it was just basically grains.

i have heard that guiness is processed with animal fats or something like that...

Quote mlg5454 View Post
    isn't most beer vegan? i though it was just basically grains.
    If only that were true. I suggest you take a look at this page on the vegan society site.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote mlg5454 View Post
    i have heard that guiness is processed with animal fats or something like that...
    Guiness use fish finings.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

When my degree finished one of my first projects is going to be to set up a page with a comprehensive list of alcohol and which is and isn't vegan, and why.

Watch this space.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Stu

You'll probably be quite busy updating it, so be prepared for that! Things change quite a lot. But yeah, it would be very handy indeed.

Erm... sorry to be so pedantic here... but we were in Ikea t'other day and saw cans Kopparberg on sale. It's not actually cider - it's Perry, same as Babycham Didn't get any as it looked a bit too processed to me - compared with what we can get near us (proper home-made cider and perry)

a 30 second google search would indicate that they make both cider, perry and other items.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Stu View Post
    You'll probably be quite busy updating it, so be prepared for that! Things change quite a lot. But yeah, it would be very handy indeed.
    Aye I figured as much, I'm hoping to make it editable by the public so that if someone learns something before me it will be updated sooner. Hopefully with enough regular viewers it'll do well.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Stu

Yeah, that would be brilliant.

I've seen people mention quite a few times that strongbow is vegan but I've never seen any supporting evidence (copy of email/letter from Bulmers etc). I've tried emailing them a few times in the past but their email page on their website has always been broken. However I tried again today and it seems to be working so I've sent off an email to ask.

However, I also checked the isitvegan database which has a big red next to strongbow with the comment "Sept 07: Bulmers may use isinglass finings if they think batch needs it."

http://realfood.redblackandgreen.net...d=Item&asc=asc

So until I get a response from Bulmers I'm thinking it's probably not vegan after all.

I was talking in a local pub about vegan beers and ciders recently - one of the owners the chef use to be veggie and knew some of the vegan beers like Becks vier and some that were not like stella and he thinks strongbow is not vegan but was not sure. I have never had an answer from Bulmers.

I avoid Strongbow as Im not sure, I know Magners is not vegan in fact dont know of many vegan ciders apart from Westons and Sainsburys made by Westons?

Hope we find out soon

Risker, I spoke to Bulmers myself in Jan 2006 and they told me _all_ their ciders were vegan, but from the sound of it, that might have changed (aaarrgg!!).
    I'll try and call them again myself to get an update.

OK - good news and some confusion cleared I think.
    First I called Bulmers and was passed to Scottish and Newcastle (the new owners) contact centre who told me Isinglass was used, but it sounded like a bit of standard marketing crap.

So then I chased down someone at the Cider plant in Hereford instead:
    I spoke to the Cider Production Team Leader in Hereford (The proverbial Horses Mouth).
    He told me that no fining agents of any kind are used in the production of any of the ciders made in Hereford (Bulmers, Scrumpy Jack, Woodpecker etc).
    They use a Cross-flow Micro filtering technology and have done so (or similar) for 15 yrs. They have also just invested 3/4 million pounds in a new machine which means they will be using this method for the forseable future.
    He assured me repeatedly that there are no animal products of any sort used in the manufacture.
    His name was John Williams and he said he was happy for me to give his name to anyone that wanted to know. He also said he would tell Scot&New to stop spreading mis-information.

Stu

Cumin - you da man.

Thanks so much for that, so i can now have a pint of stronbow in the local most pubs seem tho have that or bulmers on tap which is useful as i often look round the selection and think i cant have any tab beers/ciders round here....

I started to get worried about the 'bow then, cumin I live off the ruddy stuff! What on urf would I drink instead?!

I think personally the Westons ciders nicer by far than strongbow but strong bow is more available, cheaper too. Sainsburys organinc ciders made by Westons and about £2.20 a 750ml bottle.

I get Dad to buy it for me as I dont drive but he only buys 2 bottles at a time

Thatchers cider is vegan too!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

That's a pretty good price. I mgiht have to give sme of that a try I think. The only reasons I buy 'bow is due to the availability and price really. My folks shop at Asda, and it's 2 crates for £16, and since cutting down these days that lasts me over a week now. Usually.

Frosty Jacks white cider is vegan, I believe I wouldn't really recommend that though. It's alright in snakey, but on it's own it's a bit manky.

Soibeing

I use to drink beer esp. Heineken because of the book, "Animal Ingredients A-Z", that listed this brand and several other beers as vegan, but then I went to the forum for the documentary "Earthlings", and a member mentioned a clip in the film (animal testing portion) which showed a dog locked up in a cage and on the label, it was handwritten with the word "Heineken" on it! I wanted to make sure and so I watched the film again and that person was right. Now I know that just because a product has vegan ingredients, it doesn't mean the product wasn't animal tested. Who knows, maybe that clip was old and Heineken no longer test on animals.

Until they start putting bunny logos on beer and wine bottles, I think I'm just going to stick with soymilk, which sucks since I enjoy getting buzzed once in a while.

Quote Soibeing View Post
    I use to drink beer esp. Heineken because of the book, "Animal Ingredients A-Z", that listed this brand and several other beers as vegan, but then I went to the forum for the documentary "Earthlings", and a member mentioned a clip in the film (animal testing portion) which showed a dog locked up in a cage and on the label, it was handwritten with the word "Heineken" on it! I wanted to make sure and so I watched the film again and that person was right. Now I know that just because a product has vegan ingredients, it doesn't mean the product wasn't animal tested. Who knows, maybe that clip was old and Heineken no longer test on animals.

Until they start putting bunny logos on beer and wine bottles, I think I'm just going to stick with soymilk, which sucks since I enjoy getting buzzed once in a while.
    Add vodka to the soya milk
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Vodka's good. Verrrrry important part of this vegan's lifestyle!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Vodka + soya milk is one of the worst things I've ever tasted.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Yeh me too! I suggested it really a little sarcastically. I only really drink Bud and Carlsberg tbh.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Mahk

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I added Kahlua and I'm drinking my first white Russian in perhaps two decades right now. Quite yummy.

I bought a bottle of Kahlua two decades ago, consumed it promptly and bought my second one only just last week (having seen here that it is vegan). For some odd reason I remember the price of the first bottle: $8.50. Last week's was exactly double: $17.

Soibeing

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Yeh me too! I suggested it really a little sarcastically. I only really drink Bud and Carlsberg tbh.
    Never did liked the taste of alcohol anywaz so mixing the two probably wouldn't of bothered me, just missed getting tipsy

Quote Mahk View Post
    I added Kahlua and I'm drinking my first white Russian in perhaps two decades right now. Quite yummy.
    Kahlua is one of our staples; there's always a bottle in the fridge. I believe that we're on our 5th or 6th since I met Cherry.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Add vodka to the soya milk
    Dude, I just saw this now, actually tried that when I made soy milk before. I was out of sugar, and wondering what else could be used to flavor it, and poured in some vodka. Was kinda nasty <_< Rum at least was better
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

I only have roughly 50 cans of beer left to drink and then I'm off booze. I've decided to try the straight edge thing, 1) because it already fits in with my lifestyle and some of my friends are Straight Edge and 2) because it is fucking up my health and my relationship.

I may decide after a coupla months to go back to moderate drinking, but right now because I am having a tough time of it, alcohol is becomming escapism.

(The 50 beers are to be drunk at the festival I'm going to next week!)

Good luck with the straight edge, emzy. I think it'd be really good to do that. Even if you do only last a couple of months, it must be good for your physical and mental health to be off alcohol.

Anyway, I hear cider calling me!

or ya could give me the 50 beers!
    like i need that, im gettin fat!

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I only have roughly 50 cans of beer left to drink and then I'm off booze. I've decided to try the straight edge thing, 1) because it already fits in with my lifestyle and some of my friends are Straight Edge and 2) because it is fucking up my health and my relationship.

I may decide after a coupla months to go back to moderate drinking, but right now because I am having a tough time of it, alcohol is becomming escapism.

(The 50 beers are to be drunk at the festival I'm going to next week!)
    Cool! Good luck =) I went off alcohol this year for Lent, and that alone took some effort (well, mostly since St. Patrick's Day fell on Lent... something I didn't exactly realize until after Ash Wednesday >_>). I hope you enjoy the benefits
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

No beer for you. Beer for me!

Thanks for the support guys! (I almost typed gays then....lol!!)

hehe so are you still thinking about going sXe?

(emzy! i ate ketchup with mushrooms the other day, i was thinking of you!)

I'm not sure if anyone found a definative answer on Koppenberg cider, but I found this web page http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/popularbeers.htm that states it's vegan and this, which seems to be an email from the company...
    12/02/2008

Hi!

According to our consultant product developer our cider is suitable for vegetarians/vegans.

Best Regards

Fredrik Bjornehall
    Customer Relations
    konsumentkontakt@kopparbergs.se
    Dancing in circles on the kitchen floor

It's on page 12 of this thread

I've just bought some actually, along with some westons perry that I've not seen in supermarkets before.

I haven't got page 12 of this thread... mine only goes up to 7!

'Stinger' nettle beer from River Cottage

The question I asked was is it suitable for vegans, here is the response.

The answer is yes but only for the bottled version. The draft version is not suitable because of the use of isinglass finings in the cask.

Regards

Tim Morris

Dr T M Morris
    Head Brewer
    Hall & Woodhouse Ltd