Thread: AAARGGGH! Milk Marketing!

Default AAARGGGH! Milk Marketing!

This may be old news to some of you, but I only recently saw this advertised at the cinema - it seems to be only advertised before teen rated movies - 12 and 12A in the UK.

The website is here:
    http://www.naturallybeautiful.co.uk

and this is a link to the Milk Development Council's press release
    http://www.mdc.org.uk/mdc-main/press...ifullaunch.htm

I have only just given up milk and have read a lot recently about how milk isn't good for people (not to mention the cows), and the advert at the cinema made me feel really ill. It was like watching people showering in blood and guts or something.

Anyhow I think that the website and campaign are disgusting and misleading. The press release even goes as far as saying that if you get young girls on milk then they will give the message to their kids to drink milk.

Default Re: Naturally Beautiful

That's really gross!!!

man, all these milk-related lies perpetuated by the dairy industry really piss me off.

in the doctor's waiting room where i take the guys i look after, there's a poster with a pregnant woman on, and underneath it reads 'your body needs milk'. it just really winds me up.

if your body 'needs' milk, how do you account for all us healthy vegans???

Vicky Hathaway marketing manager at MDC says: “There are 2.25m girls aged 11-16 in Great Britain. If every one of them drank just one extra glass of milk a day, that’s 164 million extra litres of milk a year. We’re aiming to make eating dairy a healthy habit, so that it’s not just over the next two years we’ll see increases in consumption amongst these girls, but for the rest of their lives. And as the mothers of the future, they will be instrumental in encouraging future generations to eat a healthy amount of a variety of dairy products.”
    Oh yes, and just think of all that extra money the dairy industry will make, Vicky!!

campaign financed with aid from the european union and the milk development council
    nice.. my tax money goes to the milk campaign

I think I will write a letter about that. Or I am going to ask for money for a campaign against milk/dairy.

oh, that's quite disturbing. especially the part about more litres of milk per year. yes, great idea, make even more cows suffer, how nice! ugh!

interesting, though, I just read an article the other day that would contradict that. -- usa today: "acne link to milk, sweets: Can diet cause acne? Dermatological dogma says no. New research says yes. White bread, doughnuts, soft drinks and other high-glycemic-index foods spike insulin and blood sugar. High insulin, says Colorado State's Loren Cordain, incites the overproduction of male hormones and the formation of zits. In Harvard research, teens who drank three-plus glasses of milk a day, especially skim milk, reported the worst acne. Outbreaks were 44% higher in skim milk drinkers than in non milk drinkers. Possible reason: hormones is milk. Buying organic might reduce the hazard."
    "lead with your fork, not your mouth"
    ~ Bernie Wilke ~

Default Naturally Beautiful...

...is the name of the latest campaign by the dairy industry. Has anyone seen the TV advert? It is a spoof of hair and make-up adverts in which 3 models rub and bathe themselves with dairy products.

The corresponding website is http://www.naturallybeautiful.co.uk. It is the biggest load of crap I think I have ever seen.

You can watch the advert online. Also, note the 'Ask Alicia' agony aunt style section; A girl aged 12 has written in to ask how to make friends and she is advised to hold a sleepover, supplying dairy snacks and extolling their virtues to the other girls!

This really does infuriate me. Go on the site and check it out

Default Re: Naturally Beautiful...

Naturally beautiful? Because stealing the breast milk of another species and drinking it beyond infant hood is soooo natural .

The blind leading the blind...

euw. that's just gross propaganda. wtf is wrong with people?

That's been going for a while, I posted something about it last year, after seeing the ads in the cinema.

The story behind it is if you can brainwash the teenagers to believing that milk is the be all and end all of health and beauty, then they will pass this propaganda onto the next generation in a few years time.

Maybe we should complain to the ASA

Where in the world did they come up with that ad??? Not only that, but dairy products are going to make you fat not beautiful...

sugarmouse

I dont know whether to laugh or cry at that websiteare people realy so impressionabel

Limey

That's as annoying as these Happy Cow commercials here in the US. I would love for someone to make a parody of these commercials showing what really goes on.
    Here's one of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtAsFHEstaI

And another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwbK4xbiTk

OMG! Have you seen the 'facts'?!?!

FOR YOUR FUTURE
    Although it might seem a long way off now, one extra benefit of eating cheese and yogurts, and drinking milk, is that can help reduce the risk of you developing Osteoporosis as you get older. This is thanks to them being full of calcium that helps build strong bones.
    It's the complete opposite!

Facts my arse.

LMAO! I was just doing the fad or fact game to see what kind of shit they're spreading:

Stupid dairy tossers: Dairy foods make you put on weight
    Me: Yep
    Stupid dairy tossers: FAD! Scientific studies show that people who include three portions of dairy, in a healthy balanced diet, gain less weight than those who eat less dairy.
    Me: Oh yes, sorry, I was wrong. Vegans are known to be the most obese group of people, and drinking pus is good for you. What have I been smoking?

Ive seen this advert on tv, I was amazed at how stupid people can be!
    (5/05/06)

BUMP!

i was going to post, saying OMG look what website i have found. but i did a search and found this thread.

what a bunch of fucking crap! i cant believe this website. its so god-damn ridiculous! i dunno how they can be allowed to make ads/websites like this.

oh & those happy cow ads are terrible. kinda like the dairylea ones here in the UK. where the cows are like "we have to make lots of milk for growing children!"

GAH!

i just got a glimpse on tv of the ad!! Shocking!!
    "You in my life is like having the wind in my hair! You mess it up , but thats ok!"

princessemma

Default Website/Advert promoting dairy

I have just seen the advert for naturally beautiful. Can u believe this crap?

Urgh!

This adverts so sleazy and full of shit... It disgusted my friend and he's only a veggie, but he's getting there

I think they've just forgotten about what hotties us vegans are, with our luscious locks, manicured nails and strokeable skin...

*Sigh*

veggiewoman

I saw it too , made me mad, I looked at the website but couldnt find any contact details , I wanted to get us all complaining to them.
    Any ideas on how we can still do that?

sugarmouse

Its just a load of crap.I cant stretch my vocabulary for it.Just crap cos they know folk will buy it.it works.
    sorry Tilly I dont think my heavily dyed pillarbox red (not tested on animals) hair n bitten nails fit that description but I guess I still got it!

Pilaf

The fact is that right now, the common consensus is that milk is healthy, and despite this being mostly propoganda, it's penetrated the consciousness of the common citizen. Even people who don't drink it think they "should drink more...for my bones!" and I try to tell them that if they're fairly healthy without it, there's no reason to start.

i saw that advert for the first time last night too (i don't watch a lot of TV). all i can say is, gross.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote sugarmouse
    Its just a load of crap.I cant stretch my vocabulary for it.Just crap cos they know folk will buy it.it works.
    sorry Tilly I dont think my heavily dyed pillarbox red (not tested on animals) hair n bitten nails fit that description but I guess I still got it!
    yeah! my bf is a meat eater, and he sometimes goes "hmm i dont think i drink enough milk, and i dont eat enough eggs" and i tell him he doesnt need to, he's fine without them. theres no reason to start now.

Quote sugarmouse
    My hair is usually bright red too!

We're all hotties honest!

Angry AAARGGGH! Milk Marketing!

Just been sent this link and just about chucked my monitor out of the window in rage!

http://www.naturallybeautiful.co.uk/

Honestly, I cannot believe how crass this website is... 'remember and get your three portions a day of milk, yoghurt and cheese' or you'll turn into a fat, spotty teenager with no friends doomed to be marooned on the shelf for life... milk marketing makes me mad!

I'm off to sit in a dark room to try and calm down....
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 1st, 2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: AAARGGGH! Milk Marketing!

Yeah seen the advert, how stupid and annoying.
    My nails and hair are just fine as they are.

Got milk??? Bleurghhhhhhhhh! It's all so fake!!! Let's just hope that some teenagers have the sense to see through this kind of rubbish.

IndigoSea

"campaign financed with aid from the european union and the milk development council."

Nice to see the EU has our health interests at heart..... not.
    Go through the "fad or fact" section if you wanna get reaaaallly pissed off.

LOL just checked the 'horrorscopes'... Hmmm... it appears for health, wealth and happiness... guess what you have to do?... that's right consume cow pus! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You know what is really weird about the market economy? Milk is bad for us, but the produces wont let go of the revenue/economy around the dairy industry. The world could switch to something else to fill the void, but they will fight the onslaught of alternatives to the end, instead of just producing an alternative to milk.

Got BS?

justagirl8

Default Desperate dairy industry marketing?

I live in the UK by the way, and I read in the newspaper today that my local Adsa (Walmart in America I think) had a huge milk appreciation campaign outside their store last week, complete with big plastic cow, "educating" people about where milk comes from and how healthy it is, etc. They've put down their milk prices apparently, and even have a website about how amazing milk is.

http://www.asdamilkismagic.co.uk/

The other night I saw an advert on tv basically claiming that if you consume dairy products you'll become instantly beautiful. It's good for you hair, nails and skin you know!
    The website for this advert is:

http://www.naturallybeautiful.co.uk/

It's the most blatant rubbish I've ever seen and just smacks of desperation. Click on the Ask Alicia page and look at the bottom to see who this campaign is funded by.
    Is the dairy industry really that down on profits that it needs to go to these measures now? If it's true, that's great news for vegans, but sadly they have so much money and power that I can see a whole new generation being sucked into the lies all over again and wiping out any progress made recently
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 5th, 2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Desperate dairy industry campaigns?

Quote justagirl8
    The other night I saw an advert on tv basically claiming that if you consume dairy products you'll become instantly beautiful. It's good for you hair, nails and skin you know!
    I saw this ad about a month ago but only once. I thought (hoped) maybe it had been banned for the lies that it is

Um I wonder what their answer would be if we told them that digesting milk actually depletes your store of calcium...so the more milk you have the less calcium you have??? x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

The latest milk ads in the U.S. focus on how milk will help you lost weight, so now "the fridge is your friend" The radio commercial is really annoying...it's with this whiny, high-pitched woman who's trying to get into her jeans. I've also seen ads with the same message on billboards and I think magazines.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Hmm. So drinking fat is going to help you lose weight?

I just hope the public aren't too gullable. Oh hang on, it's what they want to hear

Hahaha!

Just went to http://www.asdamilkismagic.co.uk

My milkshake idea contains a few home truths about the dairy industry...

The ad campaign in the US is called: "Milk Your Diet".
    What a load of crap:
    http://www.2424milk.com/
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

Saw the "naturally beautiful" ad on TV the other day.
    I can sum it up in one word...
    ...eww!

PygmyGoat

These Milk adverts are the absolute PITS aren't they?. I especially hate that one (I think it's finished now) where the Cows break into the supermarket because they 'want their Milk back' (oh, yes, absolutely freakin' hilarious! ).

Cravendale I think that one is.
    Ughh
    Tis sickening
    xx

i submitted an interesting recipie for milkshake, but wonder how i can read others, i have a better idea, might enter again hehe
    cravendale adverts made me laugh as i thought its so true, those adverts could be dubbed so easily and have the ending of them taking it back to their calves, it tastes so good...to the baby cows, ripped from their mothers teats so they can be milked twice a day (fact from asda...cows have to be milked twice a day...er, so a calf only suckles twice a day?O.o.)
    i have the dairylea adverts so much, is it dairylea the ones were cows are sat in a tree with unders....and male voices? XD
    i have it all, i could scream but that naturally beautiful one makes me ill. i have a friend who drinks those probiotic drinks and eats yoghurt every day and drinks milk and she says its important for her health and to help her excema!

Quote philfox View Post
    i have it all, i could scream but that naturally beautiful one makes me ill. i have a friend who drinks those probiotic drinks and eats yoghurt every day and drinks milk and she says its important for her health and to help her excema!
    Yeah I get the impression drinking milk does help eczema - when I gave up milk mine disappeared completely within two weeks, and two of my cousins also don't eat milk products to help keep theirs under control.

If you're interested, there's a whole thread about eczema, http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2887

I am fuming after work today. Outside the dieticians department is a big shiny new wall holder full of milk marketing leaflets promoting the benefits of milk products and how much to have.
    Inside the leaflet the blurb said vegans were particularly at risk from osteoporosis and needed to see their GP or dietician with a view to getting calcium prescribed and listed the "inferior" calcium in vegetable sources as opposed to milk. Aparrently I would need to eat vast amounts of vegetable calcium daily just to stay healthy wheras everyone else only has to consume 3 small dairy products a day to stay healthy.
    I was outraged - dietician was out but I will certainly have something to say on Friday when she is back!!! The leaflet seemed to go out of it's way to say a vegan diet could be poor in calcium!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

Isn't this similarish to this ? Maybe contact the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation or the vegan society to let them know, if they don't already.