Thread: Ronald McDonald made public apology

Default Ronald McDonald made public apology

I didn't know that Geoffrey Giuliano, who played Ronald McDonald for a number of years, finally quit his job and made a public apology. Personally, I think it deserved more media attention since its interesting and rare.

His apology was this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer/Fall 1990
    Dear Concerned Citizen,

For almost two years I went against everything I ever believed in by selling out to the McDonald's corporate juggernaut by playing RONALD McDONALD to thousands of innocent, trusting children.

Prior to that, I am sorry to say, I also portrayed THE MARVELLOUS MAGICAL BURGER KING in the Northeastern United States doing a children's magic show promoting the glories of meat eating for the Burger King Corporation.

Ten years later, I now realize I have a debt to parents and children everywhere to try and present the truth about the wonderful vegetarian lifestyle to which I owe so much. Toward that end I have developed a brand new show to gently educate kids about their true relationship to the environment, their animal friends, and each other, as neighbours on a dreadfully victimized over-burdened planet.

This show (complete with music, magic and fun) is my way of saying sorry for selling out so blatantly to concerns who make their millions off the murder of countless animals and the exploitation of children for their own ends. Although moderate expenses are expected from sponsors, this is a not-for-profit scheme centered on showing young people the peaceful alternatives of the natural, healthful, vegetarian way of life.

Peace & Love,
    GEOFFREY GIULIANO
    aka Ronald McDonald

Default Re: Ronald McDonald made public apology

Thanks for sharing that, Apple Blossom.

Wow, so was he a veggie while working for McDonalds? Or did that make him go veggie? (I see the letter is dated 1990).
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I thought I read a Ronald McDonald in the seventies was also a veggie. Is this the same guy, or are they all smartening up?

I think that I read that he was a veggie during the time he was working for McDonalds...and that every night he would come home to his wife and feel guilty about advertising foods that were cruel to animals during slaughter.

Another TV person was Mr. Rogers who was also a committed vegetarian and tried to help children learn that they could make cruelty-free choices

That's a very courageous and wonderful letter to write to people. And I am very impressed with the children's show that he has made! It sounds like a nice show for kids and I would be interested in seeing it.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

paulvegan

i think the mclibel 2 brought it up in court.

veganja

Has any of the Ronalds ever apologised for the ridiculous clothes?

To really embarass McD all you need do is get a Ronald costume and do outrageous stuff while wearing it...