Thread: Help with my grandad

Default Help with my grandad

Well this isn't really the place to talk about it as my grandad isn't vegan but I didn't know where else to go! He claims he is putting on weight and that hes too fat. He isnt eating properly as its so warm and he can't get his breath and has no energy to make food. So hes just snacking. Hes started smoking again because he says it helps him lose weight, however with the warm weather and lack of air its such a bad idea!!

Hes so stubborn, and probly won't listen to anything I say but I was wondering if anyone knew anything I could do? Maybe someone could suggest good energy boosting food thats easy to prepare, wont make him feel like its going to make him overweight. He used to eat sandwhiches before he went to bed, which is a bad idea! I'm not sure if he does that anymore, but im definatly going to ask him.

He makes smoothies all the time and im wondering with the state of his diet he might be overdoing it on them. He mixes them with fizzy drinks like lemonade instead of just having the fruit juice. I know fruit is good but ive no idea how much hes eating.

Please help!!
    (5/05/06)

Blueshark

Default Re: Help with my grandad

Cure his hunger.

Make him proper wholesome meals, which will leave him full.

Use unrefined carbs (wholewheat rice, pasta, bread etc..)

Make sure you talk to him properly, don't treat him like a fool

If you can, prepare a bunch of small portions of wholesome foods and freeze them. Then, he'll just have to pop them in the microwave.

Good luck! It's difficult to watch someone you love hurt themselves.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Carbonated water in the smoothies instead of lemonade would be an improvement if that helps.

Yep I was planning on making some meals he could freeze. He eats mainly meat though and im definatly not confortable with making that. Ive never seen him eat pasta or anything like that. I went round today and he was eating pie! Apparently it was buy one get one free at the supermarket. I don't get that man at all. He wants to lose weight and goes and buys pie?!

Carbonated water is a good idea! I think he likes the fizzyness of his smoothies so ill definatly suggest that.

I really want to help him but also not make it seem patronising.
    (5/05/06)

He maybe couldn't resist the pies cos he was so hungry from not eating properly My mum makes nice pies with shortcrust pastry (homemade or jus'rol ), and realeat veggie mince and potatoes in gravy made from vecon veggie stock (no salt). I guess it's not the lowest fat thing ever, but no cholesterol, hardly any salt etc... and it's 'acceptable' for meat eaters.

I personally don't think snacking is such a bad thing (in hot weather sometimes you just can't face a big plateful of food) but I guess it depends what you snack on and if you're eating too much/not enough over the course of the day. Maybe you could suggest some healthier snack things or sandwich fillings?

I'm pretty impressed your grandad is making smoothies! I don't think my Nanna even knows what a smoothie is! The carbonated water is a good idea Risker.

I hope he starts feeling better soon, Christie. He's lucky to have you looking out for him

Oh when I said pie, I meant desert pie! It was a treacle tart I think. I know I snack a lot in summer, but he never eats a proper breakfast and doesn't believe in eating lunch and hes snacking on things like treacle tart. I dont think its to good for him lol.

I was thinking of getting some fake mince and making some pies, maybe a cottage pie also. He loves those but im really not sure if he will even try fake meat. Also since I know he likes his fruit I was thinking of maybe making him a big bowl of fruit salad, and normal salad to snack on.

Thanks for all the help guys, more suggestions would be glady accepted!
    (5/05/06)

Blueshark

Treacle tart is yummy, make him a fresh one (a vegan one?) .

Cottage pie is great, you dont have to tell him it is not meat. Put lots of potato and veg in.

hows your grandad doing christie?

I visited him today. Hes doing fine, without my help I might say. The "heat wave" we were supposed to get this week never happened. So he has had no trouble lately, hes back to his good complaining self.

Hes got it into is head that his cleaner doesnt really vacuum when shes upstairs, he thinks she just turns it on and has a sit down And he has to take a stairlift upstairs so he doesnt have any proof cause he will never be able to catch her mid act, it would take ages to get upstais.
    (5/05/06)