Thread: Vegan San Diego

ConsciousCuisine

Default Calling All Vegan Avengers in San Diego...

Where are you all at? There are a few good groups here in San Diego that host Vegan potlucks and the like... Where is everyone?

Cool A Veg*n guide to SanDiego

I thought the great link posted by veganmike would be good for future reference in the USA forum to. All new VegSanDiego.com! HERE
    Last edited by gertvegan; Oct 16th, 2004 at 09:05 PM.

Default Re: The "I ate too much crap/junk food today" thread

Hey CC, do you live anywhere near Hotel Circle? Sorry Off topic

ConsciousCuisine

Yes, quite close actually. Is that one of the places you stayed? I was in NYC when you were in San Diego I believe...

Yes, I was in Hotel Circle South When were you in New York?

ConsciousCuisine

September 6-16 What did you do in SD (eat junk food, I hope!)

random thought. wouldn't it have been crazy to be in the same city right near where someonelse on the VF lived and most likely pass them on the street and you never knew it? just an interesting thought that I figured ide throw out there
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

We actually took it easy - went shopping at Fashion Valley and Horton Plaza, went to the baseball, ate at some Persian restaurant...I was actually in SD from 28th September - 1st October.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Banana
    We actually took it easy - went shopping at Fashion Valley and Horton Plaza, went to the baseball, ate at some Persian restaurant...I was actually in SD from 28th September - 1st October.
    Which Persian restaurant? Did you go anywhere else to eat? The Co-op? In was in LA when you were here

It was somewhere in the Gaslamp area - 5th street I think. Can't remember what it was called, but I had like a split pea/eggplant spicy thing with saffron rice. Otherwise I lived off Jamba Juices, and plain bean burritos (god if I ever eat mexican again I will vomit). I also ate at wholefoods - sesame broccoli and brown rice! And yes, I did eat plenty of junk food. And I fell in love with the combination of dates and walnuts right in San Diego, where I discovered date and walnut rolls

ConsciousCuisine

Please do tell me where you found vegan Mexican food! I know of only 2 places in all of San Diego that have even veg options!

Pokes i think?

ConsciousCuisine

My friend Rafa owns Pokez! Cool place (GREAT Sangria!). The burritos there are sooooooooooo huge!

Pokez

947 E St (92101) (map)

619-702-7160

Ova, Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Organic, Fast-food, Mexican, Not 100% Vegetarian.

Found it on happycow

While it was nice, I swear, the next time I will have a burrito will be too soon

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Banana
    Pokez

947 E St (92101) (map)

619-702-7160

Ova, Lacto, Vegan-friendly, Organic, Fast-food, Mexican, Not 100% Vegetarian.

Found it on happycow

HA! That review must be really old; it's not even 1/2 vegetarian and *not* organic at all!

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Banana
    While it was nice, I swear, the next time I will have a burrito will be too soon

The soup with soft tortillas and beans is a pretty good meal

LOL - that is the happycow review thing!!!! I actually got recommended it by the hotel concierge.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Banana
    LOL - that is the happycow review thing!!!! I actually got recommended it by the hotel concierge.

Yeah, that's what I meant...the Hapycow review must be really old. I wish I could just tour around and write a book of reviews for vegan food! Problem is, even that would be outdated quickly due to high turnover etc.

I used Happycow like the bible when I was in the US, and a lot of the time, places were either
    1. shut down
    2. disgusting looking, that I would have prefered to eat out of a garbage bin

I can't remember now where they were, but I basically got by in the US coz of the miracle that is Whole Foods

Quote Banana
    I can't remember now where they were, but I basically got by in the US coz of the miracle that is Whole Foods
    Wholefoods is where I live. Most weeks I go there just about everyday for lunch and to grocery shop. There arn't many options in the area at all and this is the south in the US which means its BBQ and pork and steak country, groossss. so most restaurants dont even have many options, plus its all practically fast food and chains anyways which again rarely have much. thus whole foods is my life and i am so thankful to have one right down the street!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

You Americans have everything!

We don't have a Whole Foods here.

Kevster

Here is a Sea Shepherd fundraising event taking place in San Diego, California and involving food!

http://www.tapasandtopsls.org/

ConsciousCuisine

Nice! Too bad they didn't go with a VEGAN catering company! It sure would be nice if ethical events that focus on offering vegan foods would support vegan catering companies (who can do vegan food better anyway!).

Kevster

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Nice! Too bad they didn't go with a VEGAN catering company!
    Yeah, maybe so, mail them, and suggest a range of people that could have done it.

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Vegan San Diego

There's only one all vegan catering company here...(mine!)

Anyway, no reason to suggest anything...they are happy with who they chose and it's set in stone

I live in Michigan, and I'm lucky to live by th wonderful city of Ann Arbor. Ann arbor has a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and a great co-op that has a veg friendly cafe attached to it. There is also a 100% vegetarian restaurant that has many Vegan dishes called Seva. I have lived all over Michigan, and Ann Arbor is the most Vegan friendly city that I have found.

I was in San Diego earlier this year at a trade show. Trade Shows are awful places to try and eat at. "Vegan? You want a Veeegahnnn dish? We have a cheese sandwich, would that be OK?" Not too fun.

I live about three hours north from San Diego and make it down once in a while...I have family there

Hey there, Karmagirl! I was just at the co-op again tonight! Wow, A2 should hire you to write them up! Gotta agree though...it is a grrreeaattt place to live...especially if your a vegan!

Quote KarmaGirl
    Ann arbor has a... ...Seva.

I live in belleville and have only touched a few areas of AnnArbor that are off the freeway. Namely Wholefoods <3 and Briarwood Mall. Could ya help me out? Where is Trader Joes? I hear alot about it. And where is this Seva place? Ive been searching for a decent restaurant to no avail.

Thanks!!

Hi, Troub, Seva is on Liberty St. Jeez...what is the name of the streets it's between???? Hold on..can I send you a map???? Maybe PM it to you? I think you want to go to the People's Co-op too...ohhhh maybe I can make you a Vegan's Map to A2????? That would be fun to do!

oldsilverhead

Conscious Cuisine you are SO lucky to live in San Dieago not least of all because it is the territory of vegan radio show host extraordinaire Bob Linden and have the option of making use of the shops and vegan events he advertises.Have you ever met Bob?
    http://www.goveganradio.com./

oldsilverhead

ConsciousCuisine

Yes, I have! He's a character!

Quote Jane M
    Hi, Troub, Seva is on Liberty St. Jeez...what is the name of the streets it's between???? Hold on..can I send you a map???? Maybe PM it to you? I think you want to go to the People's Co-op too...ohhhh maybe I can make you a Vegan's Map to A2????? That would be fun to do!
    oooohhh...a "vegan's map" for A2! That is a great idea! Wouldn't that be a great thing to have online for people visiting the area?

I actually live in Manchester, which is SW of Ann Arbor. I love Ann Arbor, and would love to live in it, but I can't give up my huge garden and land for my dogs to play on, so I just deal with the drive.

Seva is on Liberty between 5th and Division. There is a parking structure really close to it, so it's always easy to get a parking Space. Google has always gave me good directions through A2 while I was learning the city (I have only lived in the area for about 6 years).

If you have never been downtown...well...you need to! You will fall in love with the city. I love walking around and seeing the diversity that the city holds.

Trader Joe's is just down the road from Whole Foods. It's not as nice as Whole Foods, but it has some nice Fair Trade goods. It's on the corner of Washtenaw Ave and Stadium Blvd.

Now, where you really want to go is People's Food co-op, which is on 4th ave. between Catherine and Ann. It has a nice cafe attached to it that sells fair trade coffee. They don't look at you funny when you ask what kind of soy milk they use, either LOL. They have a website at: http://www.peoplesfood.coop/

Sorry about this getting off topic

ConsciousCuisine

San Diego has Ocean Beach People's Coop!

ANything with "Ocean Beach" in the name is appealing to me right now (Michigan has been so ucky this winter). What's it like in SD right now?